• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police perform background check on ... Obama, are suspended

Repeater

imported post

Cops suspended for Obama check

Two DeKalb County Officers are being investigated for allegedly performing a background check on President Barack Obama.

Officers Ryan White and C.M. Route have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, according to DeKalb County spokeswoman Sheila Edwards. Edwards said the two patrol officers have been with the department for about two years.

The incident occurred on July 20, according to DeKalb County officials.

The United States Secret Service notified county officials that DeKalb County computer equipment was utilized to do a query on the President.

Edwards said the background check was run using a computer mounted in a patrol car.

Such behavior, said William “Miz” Miller, DeKalb Public Safety director, is not to be tolerated.

“As Public Safety Director for DeKalb County, I want everyone to know that we take these allegations very seriously,” he said in a statement. “We expect our officers to adhere to professional standards and departmental policy. Furthermore, we do not and will not condone the inappropriate use of county equipment or resources.”

The county’s Internal Affairs division is handling the official investigation.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Repeater wrote:
Cops suspended for Obama check

Two DeKalb County Officers are being investigated for allegedly performing a background check on President Barack Obama.

Officers Ryan White and C.M. Route have been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, according to DeKalb County spokeswoman Sheila Edwards. Edwards said the two patrol officers have been with the department for about two years.
The reach of the Secret Service is kind scary, but we need to start limiting cops' abillity to use search functions absent an actual crime. This business of "running plates" must stop.

LEO 229

imported post

Not new.. rookies have done this on stars and other famous people before.

Other people have been ran also for purposes other what is justified.

In all cases that are identified... they get the smack down.

Sheriff

imported post

Repeater wrote:
“We expect our officers to adhere to professional standards and departmental policy. Furthermore, we do not and will not condone the inappropriate use of county equipment or resources.”

What they are expect,and what theyget, sure does seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum more and morelately.

But it sure does sound good in a press release. :lol:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Isn't there some recent ruling (in the last decade or two)that the police can run the license plates of a vehicle that is not suspected of a crime just to see if any warrants are out or any other interests.

The reason I ask, Is my GF was stopped by Illinos state patrol on her birthday, and he wrote her a citation for driving with an expired license on the day it was set to expire at midnight. So basically she was still legal when she was cited. I looked for info to see if that was an accepted tactic, and found that the courts say it is? It kinda tweaks my beak a little.

So why the big deal about running a background check on an elected official? Why is he so special that it is not allowed?

FogRider

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
So why the big deal about running a background check on an elected official? Why is he so special that it is not allowed?
It's a big deal because the are not supposed to be running random checks on anyone. It's just that you don't hear about it happenning when it's joe shmoe. Partly because the USSS isn't keeping track of joe.

LEO 229

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Isn't there some recent ruling (in the last decade or two)that the police can run the license plates of a vehicle that is not suspected of a crime just to see if any warrants are out or any other interests.

The reason I ask, Is my GF was stopped by Illinos state patrol on her birthday, and he wrote her a citation for driving with an expired license on the day it was set to expire at midnight. So basically she was still legal when she was cited. I looked for info to see if that was an accepted tactic, and found that the courts say it is? It kinda tweaks my beak a little.

Tags belong to the DMV whileyour name does not.

But it makes no difference as long as I am running your name for criminal justice purposes.

So unless the guy suspected Obama of a crime in some way.. :lol: He should not have ran the name to get the data.

This same stuff happens at hospitals when famous people check in. Staff reading their medical details and charts. Just to be nosey.

But cops can, will, and dorun tags all the time to see if the owner is suspended or wanted and to see if the car is stolen.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
But cops can, will, and dorun tags all the time to see if the owner is suspended or wanted and to see if the car is stolen.

Some cops can, will, and do run the serialnumbers on .....every gun they come across, regardless of circumstances, to see if the gun is stolen or wanted....

:p

Sheriff

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Some cops can, will, and do run the serialnumbers on .....every gun they come across, regardless of circumstances, to see if the gun is stolen or wanted....

You are correct, Hank. Welcome to the year 2009.

You're guilty of posessing a stolen firearm until proven innocent.

It's commonly known as "roadside court".

unreconstructed1

imported post

HankT wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

around here they even randomly stop people walking down the road and run their names to check for warrants...

r6-rider

imported post

hmm... so if i buy one of those $20 background checks off the internet, you think ill have the SS breaching my door by tonight:p

LEO 229

imported post

r6-rider wrote:
hmm... so if i buy one of those $20 background checks off the internet, you think ill have the SS breaching my door by tonight:p
Interesting question.... Private business and all....

I am going to say no. ;)

But I really know the answer is yes. Big Brother is always watching. :lol:

M

McX

imported post

SO, I'm wondering because the article never said: Did Obama pass? Does he now CC or OC?