• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Engraving in Madison

Athena

imported post

I've been lurking here for a while, but I suppose I should introduce myself. I'm a grad student at UW (originally from the northwoods) and love shooting and promoting gun rights.

That said I had the most lovely experience the other day at one of the jewelry shops in downtown Madison. I just brought the stripped slide in (I was afraid of potentially losing parts) and asked if they could do some simple engraving on it.

Before I got the slide out of my purse I explained to them employee that it was only a part and was not a firearm on its own. Nobody bugged me about it, there was no "she's got a gun" comments from any of the other customers, and the engraving turned out great.

Even in the middle of Madison there are some stores that don't freak out about mentioning firearms. :)

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Most people, including cops,in Madison have no problems with firearms. Those that do arethe newspapers, the mayor, alderpersons, and west side elitists.

By definition and the original Madison city planning,there can be no east side elitists. If you don't why there can't be east side madison elitists by definition, ask someone from Madison to explain it to you.

gila

imported post

Welcome Athena! Could you post a picture of the engraving? I've been looking to have some work done myself.

Athena

imported post

I'm on a trip at the moment but I shall post pictures as soon as I get back to my computer at home with my picture files. I got the engraving (Molon Labe written down the side of the slide) done at Goodman's on State St.

protias

imported post

Athena wrote:
I'm on a trip at the moment but I shall post pictures as soon as I get back to my computer at home with my picture files. I got the engraving (Molon Labe written down the side of the slide) done at Goodman's on State St.

That is awesome. :celebrate

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

what kind of pistol is it ? And I love your name. Your parents must have been Battlestar Galactica Fans.:D

I wonder if there are any good engraving places in this neck of the woods( Green Bay )

Athena

imported post

what kind of pistol is it ? And I love your name. Your parents must have been Battlestar Galactica Fans.:D

It's a semi-compact .45 ACP Jericho. It's a pain in the tush to find accessories for it, but I love it and it fits my hand like a glove. My hands are normal sized for a female, but itty bitty compared to the average guy. Brigade makes holsters for it but they've been backed up since September-ish.

I didn't discover Battlestar Galactica until last year when a friend of mine hosted a season 3 marathon. I was pondering names and Athena sounded right.

As for Green Bay, I'm not too educated on what all is around there. Most of what I see between Madison and the northwoods is just Hwy 51.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Athena wrote:

It's a semi-compact .45 ACP Jericho. It's a pain in the tush to find accessories for it, but I love it and it fits my hand like a glove. My hands are normal sized for a female, but itty bitty compared to the average guy. Brigade makes holsters for it but they've been backed up since September-ish.

I didn't discover Battlestar Galactica until last year when a friend of mine hosted a season 3 marathon. I was pondering names and Athena sounded right.

As for Green Bay, I'm not too educated on what all is around there. Most of what I see between Madison and the northwoods is just Hwy 51.

Ok, the Baby Eagle, nice pistol. Had one about8 years ago. Now I have a Glock 34 / 9mm & the new, Taurus 45 ACP OSS Tactical.Next year I am going to add a Kimber Warrior 45acp to my collection. Did you get hooked on Battlestar ???? I have seen them all, and own all the old TV show DVD's...are you a Soprano's fan ?

Take care.

opusd2

imported post

When I lived in Madtown, I lived on the West Side. I guess I never considered myself an elitist since I had friends over on the east side that I visited all of the time.

Well, anyway... When I worked in Middleton it was for a company that had a lot of doctorates and PHDs there. What I was doing there, I'm still not sure other than the delicate components and assemblies had to be taken care of by someone with hands that knew what work was.

But a friend of mine had on his desk in his cube a poster of the Barrett. Let's just say it was HIGHLY encouraged that he took it down since it offended others. And he did. Which sucks because not only did I look at that poster like I was 8 years old and had that Farrah Fawcett poster in the red swimsuit in front of me, but I regarded it another personal freedom they took away from us. It was a continual process.

So I made a screen saver with military rifles from around the world and hardly anyone noticed, except for the IT guy who I didn't get along to begin with. Something about my knowing as much as he did, oh and I told him his camaro was pretty sweet, except for the rainbow sticker across the back. I told him it didn't match the paint color, which it didn't - I won't lie. So we played this little game where he'd change my computer screensaver and settings every day to prove his point, and I would change it all back to prove mine.

I guess that's why I probably was included in the first round of layoffs...:lol:

opusd2

imported post

And although the new BG series was interesting, I preferred the old series. Even the Battlestar Galactica 1980 was interesting and almost a transition into the new series.

But that's off subject.

I have a few friends on the east side that are so uptight about guns that even the mentioning of them caused rosebuds in their shorts. One of them would watch tv shows with shooting in them and when it was happening, would grab their kids, cover their ears and face them in a different direction while making noises that they hoped would drown out the sounds.

HOWEVER>>>>>

SciFi shows and cartoons with all the shooting you can think of was different, it was acceptable because lasers weren't REAL and couldn't hurt you. Talk about screwed up. What scares me the most (and I could go ON and ON about this family) is that the two kids seem halfway normal now as they are entering their teens. I'm just hoping there isn't a clock ticking in there somwhere that will ring the bell and send them up into clock towers.

And did I mention this family tore the covers off of TV guides so the kids wouldn't be subjected to sex?

Ok, no more stories. But they were east siders. And good friends of mine until they got divorced and then they REALLY went nuts.

opusd2

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
:uhoh: I'm on the east side.:uhoh:

Do you rip the covers off of magazines because they could offend someone? Probably not, but that's my guess.

And I wasn't generalizing all east siders, just the ones I know.

I LOVED living over on the west side, pretty much Middleton area. My place was within crawling distance from Capitol Brewery, so every Thursday morning was usually spent starting out slowly...

Athena

imported post

Here's what it looks like...
3798164505_c2011e710d.jpg