• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Couple of funny stories from today

chiefjason

imported post

So we went out for the usual before school clothes shopping experience yesterday. Talked my wife into letting me OC. She did not mind since we were carrying cash. BTW, I got funnier looks paying with cash than I did for carrying! Since yesterday went well I carried when we went back out to finish up today. Cool OC with the family 2 days in a row, I'm making progress.

We hit the road to the bank. Top the hill. Crap, checkpoint. My gun is on the dash way before my wife has her wallet out. I tell her to tell the sheriff we have an OC'd gun on the dash. She is freaking out a bit about it giving me the, " YOu should have driven" speal. So we pull up and my wife puts her license out the window. I'm kind of pointing at the gun on the dash so he knows. Sheriff looks at her license, says, thanks, and turns his back. Wife drive's off and we are both kind of looking at each other funny. Dude never even looked or gave her enough time to tell him about it. First odd but uneventfull experience.

Got to the bank and dicided to not carry inside, yet. Left the Glock in the van and jokingly told my wife to "cover my back." My holster was still on. Got the impression the manager made me as soon as I opened the door. Cashed my check and left. As I get in the van and rearmed, the manager steps out with a paper in his hand. Odd. As we back up he flags us down and tells me I dropped a dollar. I just cashed a check for several hundred of them but no ones. As I roll my hips to reach for my wallet I basically put the holstered Glock almost in his face. Check my wallet, try to tell him it's not mine. He hands it to me, tells me to have a nice day and goes back in the bank. Now it's twice odd but uneventful.

We dodge the license check on the way to the store. At the store my daughter decides I am in her way and grabs my holster to move me out of the way. Yikes!! There is a little don't touch daddy's holster conversation. Otherwise uneventfull carry in Walmart. Grab some lunch and head to the range. Shoot the Mark II and Glock 19 a few times.

On the way home I am passing a local gun shop about 4:55. If it's open I'm gonna see if they have any 9MM HP. Cars in the lot and the door is not barred. Park the truck and hit the door. I make 3 good steps in the shop, which is also a pawn shop, and realize a local cop is at the gun counter. Well, it's my luck today. Askif theyhave anyHP. The cop definitelly notices I am OC'ing. Cop tells me they don't even use HP. Then he says " Our hard ball has killed everyone we ever shot." I laugh an tell him that's quite the testimonial. Then he tells me if I shoot somebody with that HP ammo I need to send them a bill. By this time there is another officer behind him. We talk a little junk about FMJ and HP and bullet weights. I grab the box that is weighted the same as my FMJ and about pass out at the price. $53.49 out the door for 50 rds. Ouch!!! Three times odd but uneventfull, I'm going home for dinner. Hope you guys get a laught out of this. Gonna xpost it a few places too.Figure I will offset the harrassed by ......... posts.

ocgso

imported post

Sounds like you ran into some good LEO that aren't afraid of normal citizens carrying. Always a welcome encounter in my book.

A friend of mine is a sherrif's deputy in Guilford County. He is required to carry HP in his department issue weapon. He is also required to qualify with the HP ammo he carries in his off duty/undercover carry.

The most surprising thing of your story to me is that he suggested hardball.

Sounds like a good day to me.

chiefjason

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
Out of all that, I learned that you need a new place to buy carry ammo.

Dude your not kidding. I have a range that only sells FMJ range ammo, 1 real gun store that is a bit out of my way, the rest are big box or pawn shops. Gonna have to go price the real gun shop. Unfortunately the price is in line with most of what I have seen around here. It's still a bit crazy but at least the range ammo is coming down.

Not complaining about the encounters just seemed odd and all stacked together. Add that to I'm bored stupid and have been homebound for a week after surgery. I got nothing better to do that post this. :lol:

JDriver1.8t

imported post

Around me, it is $24 per 50 JHP for 9mm.
If you want to order a larger quantity (100) I'll buy them for you and ship them to you.
It will save you quite a bit in the long run.
If that sounds good to you, just send me a PM

chiefjason

imported post

Basically all the big box stores are empty and I think they are playing that up. There is one shop that is out of the way, but for that price I should have made the drive. But at most, outside of a big box store, I have seen a $5-$10 difference in price. The only reason I got 50 was to put about half dowrange just to check for reliability. In reality I'm shooting a Glock so I'm not too worried. I mix my rds in the mag with HP and FMJ so I don't need them all. If I'm gonna hang my life on them, then $50 does not sound as bad. Since I had no HP I just took the hit and grabbed them. After that I only shoot FMJ at the range unless this price thing changes.

J, I appreciate the offer. If I change my mind I'll PM you. Or take Mek's lead and invest in reloading gear. I'm currently saving all my brass from the range and seriously considering it.

lonewolf2810

imported post

Yea jason I reload my 9mm hp and I have plenty loaded up. If you need some hand loads send me a pm and we will meet up. I do live in Newton so I can meet you in the middle just send me a pm and we can talk.

PT111

imported post

Last week at Murrels Inlet they had some .380 ammo. $40 for box of 20 HPand $20 for FMJ box of 50. The FMJ was a limit of 1 box per customer. They had a big sign out front saying that the P3AT's were in stock so they were trying to save some ammo for those that bought guns. Hard to convince someone to buy a gun but can't provide any ammo with it.