• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

distance from school?

lowlander91

imported post

Hello I'm new to open carry and have only done it really when I go shooting.I want to do it more but would like more info to do with carrying by a school. I live in peoria and live a street over from an elementary school. So i was wondering how far do i have to be to lawfully carry and if i drive past the school which is almost a neccesity to get on any main roads what i can and cant do. also if i am indeed within the no gun zone if it reaches pass thier property can i carry on my own property like when i get in my car to leave? Also would i be able to carry and check the mail or walk around my neighborhood or walk the dog? id obviously avoid the street that the school sees if i did any of those. I know ive asked alot of questions and probally some silly ones but i just want to find out what i should do . The local PD isnt used to open carry questions and told me i had to be 21 to own a handgun im 18 and know that was false.
thanks again and sorry if i phrased anything in a confusing manner

lowlander91

imported post

thanks alot for the link it helped clarify any areas i was unclear. from what i understand as long as im not in the parking lot or in the school im fine and there is no regulated distance that would prohibit me from being armed in my nieghborhood. so i can drive and walk in my own nieghborhood will protecting myself. thanks alot.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

Good luck. I reccomend that you join AZCDL. They are a great organization and have been very successfull in incrementally gaining back the rights that have been taken from us in the last hundred years.

http://www.azcdl.org/

Full disclosure: I am an AZCDL life member.

protector84

imported post

There is no state law prohibiting or restricting firearms near school property. Firearms on school property are restricted. If you are driving to a K-12 school, the firearm must be unloaded and locked out of sight in the vehicle when parked on school property. You may not bring firearms into a K-12 school except when approved by a school for the purposes of a school program. State law also allows universities and community colleges to set their own policies regarding weapons. Most ban weapons on school property. If you are a student in a CC/university they will likely advise you somewhere about their weapons policy. If you are visiting, you may want to look for signage. If it is banned, you will need to leave the firearm in the vehicle and preferably out of sight. Some school administrators or staff may be quite anti-gun and make up laws that don't exist. I remember University of Arizona officials including campus police stating things such as "guns aren't allowed anywhere near campus...you can't even drive through campus with a gun...you can't even have firearms in homes located within the campus area...," etc. None of this is true. Arizona also does not recognize the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. You can carry a firearm on the sidewalk 1 foot away from a school. You can carry on private property that is located within a university campus that prohibits weapons as long as that private property doesn't ban them. I have done both and never had a problem. I hope this is comprehensive. For more information, contact an attorney.