• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First OC experience while visiting Colorado

Swamp Fox

imported post

I have carried concealed for over 38 years, but had never carried openly until this week. As Colorado will no longer recognize my non-resident FL and UT permits and has never recognized my Iowa permit, I decided to try open carry. Over three days, I carried my Para-Ordnance P-1245 and a spare magazine OWB everywhere I went. I drove from Eagle to the Franktown area and back. (I did know enough not to stop in Denver!) I stopped at two gas stations, several convenience stores and restaurants (take-out) and a couple of hotels in Eagle, Beaver Creek, Frisco, Castle Rock and Franktown. Most people I encountered had no discernible reaction (many probably didn't even notice), though a few seemed to get a slightly puzzled look on their faces. Only one person remarked on my pistol. A young man who was checking into the hotel at the same time I was asked me "What are you packing?" He told me he wanted to get a CCW in Colorado and that his dad had one in Virginia. I quickly explained that OC is legal in CO and why I was doing it. We didn't have time for a real conversation, but I think he was definitely more interested in CCW than OC. However, I count it as a positive encounter.

The real OC test for me was when I carried at the Eagle Airport. (Not in the airline terminal, but at the general aviation terminal and ramp.) I debated about doing it and whether it might not be over the line, but went ahead. The two guys who fueled my plane didn't comment on the pistol to me, but I wondered if they might not report it to their boss when they returned to the office. Once I was done working around my plane, I went into the terminal to return my rental car. As it was a weekday and business was slow, there were no other customers in the lobby. As I spoke with one of the customer service representatives at the counter, I noticed a uniformed policeman walk out of the back room (where the fuel guys were hanging out). While I continued to speak with the CSR, he approached to within about eight feet and gave me a couple of long looks, but he never said a word. On the other hand, the CSR told me her dad would LOVE to have an NRA shirt like the one I was wearing! She definitely had to see I was wearing a gun, but didn't show any reaction. Neither did her co-worker.

Frankly, I thought I might get some grief over carrying on the airport, even though I thought it was legal. The Transportation Security Agency has been getting pretty high handed lately...

I have traveled in every state and have never seen citizens open carrying except in Arizona. I have certainly never observed OC at an airport. I know some pilots carry concealed and many hunters carry their long guns in private planes, but they are always cased (and presumably unloaded.)

Perhaps I was just luck, but I felt OC in Colorado was a very positive experience. I will be back in Colorado for a few days next week. I will be in Ft. Collins, Castle Rock and Franktown for certain and maybe will have a chance to get back up into the mountains for a couple of days. I am looking forward to it!

mahkagari

imported post

I'm trying to picture someone telling you they're afraid you're going to hijack your own plane.

Swamp Fox

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
I'm trying to picture someone telling you they're afraid you're going to hijack your own plane.
Well, as odd as that sounds, the TSA last winter tried to institute a series of nonsensical new regulations apparently designed to prevent just such an occurrence! Owners of aircraft over 12,500 lbs. takeoff weight (most jets, some turboprops and many antique and "warbird" aircraft) would have had to implement a burdensome, TSA approved, security plan. It would have required the appointment of a ground security manager, an airborne security manager and an overall security manager. (These could all be the same person, but each position would have required rigid and documented initial and recurrent training.) Then each pilot would have to be fingerprinted and have an FBI background check every five years. Every passenger would have to have their identity checked against a couple different "watch lists" before every flight. The aircraft owner or pilot would have been forced to pay an outside, TSA approved vendor to perform this function in advance of each flight - or it would be illegal to take off. The passengers would also not be able to carry tools, knives, golf clubs, etc. onto the plane. (They could be loaded into inaccessible baggage compartments, but many general aviation planes carry all or most of the baggage in the passenger compartment.) All of this would have been required even if the owner was the pilot and the passengers were his own family! :shock:

This is completely nuts and would cripple private aviation - with no benefit! There was such an outcry in the industry that a few members of Congress finally got involved and the TSA is now preparing to submit a "revised" plan. We are waiting to see what that looks like. :(

RLCbushpilot

imported post

What do you fly Swamp Fox? I'm in and out of the mountain airports all the time. I fly for a charter company in Denver. I can't carry on company property due to company policy but I'm glad to hear you had such a good experience at EGE. The folks up there treat us pretty good!

Swamp Fox

imported post

I fly a Citation CJ2 and a '46 Stinson. I had the CJ2 in KEGE. I am driving back to Ft. Collins and then Castle Rock/Franktown later this week.

Are you based at KAPA? I get in there once in a while, but not as much as I used to.

RLCbushpilot

imported post

Swamp Fox wrote:
I fly a Citation CJ2 and a '46 Stinson.  I had the CJ2 in KEGE.  I am driving back to Ft. Collins and then Castle Rock/Franktown later this week.

Are you based at KAPA?  I get in there once in a while, but not as much as I used to.

Main base is BJC but we have a couple airplanes at APA. The CJ2 is a nice airplane. I fly an Excel most of the time.

Swamp Fox

imported post

I flew a corporate Excel for a couple of years, before laying off a couple of pilots and selling it. Then I picked up the CJ2 as a personal plane for the same family.

I am headed back to CO this morning. I will carry concealed to the Iowa border, then OC through NE and WY to Ft. Collins. This will be only my second OC experience. We'll see how it goes...