• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSSA ALERT ON SENATOR BAUCUS SOTOMAYOR VOTE

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

----- Original Message -----
To: mssa@mtssa.org
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 9:54 PM
Subject: Action needed - NOW

Dear MSSA Friends,

The Associated Press reports that Montana's Senator Max Baucus will support Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor.
http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2009/07/31/bnews/br73.txt

This notwithstanding that MSSA, the NRA, GOA and CCRKBA all oppose confirmation of Sotomayor.

There is little doubt that Sotomayor is soft on or hostile to the Second Amendment. She deliberately dodged Senator Coburn's questions on the subject, certainly not something a nominee who respects the Second Amendment would do. A Senator from Montana who supports Sotomayor is clearly is not representing Montanans.

Max promised me that he'd turned over a new leaf on gun rights issues, and for a while it seemed as if he actually had. Apparently, Max doesn't spend enough time in Montana to understand how strongly we feel about the right to bear arms. He also doesn't understand that in Montana his word is supposed to be his bond.

For Max to support Sotomayor is a direct and serious disrespect of you, MSSA, and all Montana gun owners - it's a slap in the face.

I wrote to the staffer who handles gun issues for Baucus, Heather O'Laughlin, and asked her to inform Max that MSSA opposes the Sotomayor's confirmation. I received no response. I sent Heather another email asking her if she'd actually told Max about the MSSA opposition to Sotomayor (sometimes D.C. staffers think they run the office). Again, she didn't respond. So, I don't actually know if O'Laughlin told Baucus of MSSA's opposition. If not, Max needs to find somebody new to fill that office slot.

Nevertheless, the buck stops with Max. He's the guy who wants your vote so he can return to Washington.

I urge you to forward this email to EVERY Montana gun owner for whom you have an email address.

ALL of you, send an email to
"Heather O'Loughlin" <heather_o'loughlin@baucus.senate.gov>

Copy your email to
"Max Baucus"<max@baucus.senate.gov>

Tell O'Laughlin to Tell Max: NO SOTOMAYOR!

Keep sending to Baucus. Keep sending to your friends.

The Senate vote on Sotomayor will be next week.

Maybe Max will get a clue about how strongly we feel about our right to bear arms in Montana.

Thanks for your help!!

Gary Marbut, president
Montana Shooting Sports Association
http://www.mtssa.org
author, Gun Laws of Montana
http://www.mtpublish.com

LeMat

imported post

Yep, so is NRA-endorsed Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander.

Sure does a lot of good wasting time with phone calls, emails and letters. :banghead:

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

LeMat wrote:
Yep, so is NRA-endorsed Tennessee Sen. Lamar Alexander.

Sure does a lot of good wasting time with phone calls, emails and letters. :banghead:

this from a friend in Georgia :

this from GA - United States Senator For Georgia Saxby Chambliss

Judge Sonia Sotomayor
Judge Sotomayor has a compelling personal story. As Americans, we should be proud she has been nominated. However, the role of the Senate is to give the president advice and consent, and we are required to go beyond the personal side of the nominee.

After reviewing cases she decided, talking with lawyers who know her, and reviewing speeches and her testimony, I have concluded that I cannot support Judge Sotomayor’s nomination. I am a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment, and I am concerned about her reasoning in cases where she has considered this issue. I am concerned about her apparent leaning to use foreign law to interpret America’s own laws and Constitution. Her lack of well-reasoned opinions is also troublesome.
You can read my floor speech on this issue by visiting my website, here.

So yes e-mails, faxes, phone calls do a lot of good. Apathy among us is our worst and biggest enemy. Those who would not send e-mails, faxes, phone calls, etc probably would not stand with me with musket in hand along the Northern Border, Missouri River, Yellowstone River, or Clarks Fork River to stop the invasion of Commies or UN or NATO Troops.

Flyer22

imported post

I don't understand all the hand-wringing over this nomination. Is there really any gun advocate anywhere who expected Obama to nominate aconservative? Sotomayer is quite honestly the best that could be expected, especially considering that she's replacing a liberal, and thus will not be changing the balance of the court.

Furthermore, elections have consequences. Up until the nomination of Bork, senators of the opposing party routinely voted for nominees, as long as qualified people were nominated. A president is entitled to have the person of his choice in any given office.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
I don't understand all the hand-wringing over this nomination. Is there really any gun advocate anywhere who expected Obama to nominate aconservative? Sotomayer is quite honestly the best that could be expected, especially considering that she's replacing a liberal, and thus will not be changing the balance of the court.

Furthermore, elections have consequences. Up until the nomination of Bork, senators of the opposing party routinely voted for nominees, as long as qualified people were nominated. A president is entitled to have the person of his choice in any given office.

"A president is entitled to have the person of his choice in any given office."

Did you study U.S. Government or Commie when you were in school ? In WDC we are suppose to have 3 branchs / sections of government, Executive - Congress - SCOTUS. The President can nominate someone but Congress has the Right and the DUTY to approve or disapprove that someone. The SCOTUS is not part of the Executive Branch. It is suppose to be a check and balance system. So the President is not entitled to the person of his choice in the SCOTUS not even in the Executive Branch all have to be approved or disapproved by Congress.

Sotomayor has proven in her actions and statements, she would make laws from the bench, she is a racist, she is a sexist - she is UNFIT to hold any government job at any level - fed, state, county, city, etc whether in a hired, elected, or appointed job.