• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What constitutes an "arsenal" in NY nowadays?

WheelGun

imported post

Sounds like the big, tough, brave guys caught a really scary person. Thank goodness there are men out there walking the line for us, keping us safe from middle-agedwomen withdigital cameras. Now I can sleep at night.

What a joke.

PT111

imported post

Gun Nut Armed to the Teeth with one shotgun and one rifle???????

Lots of details missing from this story including some common sense. I hate to see how they would describe me ifshehad anarsenal. She may be crazy but two long guns and 500 rounds of ammo doesn't qualify by itself.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Next time I hope she wears her burka before getting out of the car.
But maybe they count each piece of buckshot in the shell to get the
arsenal they are looking for.
"ties to al-Qaeda" You bet, I am funding their bahama vacation as we speak.:cuss:
I have no choice their leader is holding my taxes hostage to ensure my
complicity.

old dog

imported post

Arsenal is one of those utilitarian terms like racism and disorderly conduct -- infinitely expandable and legally unanswerable -- that police and politicians find handy. These terms are designed and used to taint innocent people in the eyes of society and the state.

Police in England have a good one that hasn't made its way here -- yet. That one is the "anti-social behaviour" caution under which a person can be put into the police database at the whim of any cop for virtually any reason or no reason at all. Simply being in a place where the cop thinks you have no reason to be is sufficient.

English police really have the best of it. They are allowed to make up the law as they go along. Always remember the man in England ordered by police to remove the traditional English flag from his car because it might offend someone.

GoldCoaster

imported post

old dog wrote:
Arsenal is one of those utilitarian terms like racism and disorderly conduct -- infinitely expandable and legally unanswerable -- that police and politicians find handy. These terms are designed and used to taint innocent people in the eyes of society and the state.

Police in England have a good one that hasn't made its way here -- yet. That one is the "anti-social behaviour" caution under which a person can be put into the police database at the whim of any cop for virtually any reason or no reason at all. Simply being in a place where the cop thinks you have no reason to be is sufficient.

English police really have the best of it. They are allowed to make up the law as they go along. Always remember the man in England ordered by police to remove the traditional English flag from his car because it might offend someone.
Absolutely, and remember England used to be a bastion of freedom years ago, the Magna Carta was the first civil rights document brought into existence and a lot of our "common rights" were articulated in this.

What folks in the USA need to make sure is we don't allow this country down the path of more and more police power and less and less people power.

thejax

imported post

This is silly. This is a matter of misunderstanding and common sense.

On one hand, she has every right to be legally armed in this manner. Yet common sense should kick in and say "Hey, I want to take pictures of a military base. Should I leave my guns at home?".

Ofcourse bringing guns onto controlled or uncontrolled base property is a very big federal offense and signs are posted. If she lived near the base and is also a gun owner, I am sure she was aware of these restrictions. Now since she was not charged with a firearm on base, she must have parked offbase and was close to the fence taking pictures.

Again, should the matter of the guns come up? No. Yet law states entering base property means you could be searched. Also knowing this, she should of left her guns at home as common sense should prevail.

Should she of left them at home? Well its her right to be armed. BUT I wouldn't of did it if I wanted to take pictures of a base. Which, by the way, IS ODD.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

A guess a NY cop would Sh*t a brick if I ever got pulled over on my way to the range. 2 weapons and they call that an arsenal? I usually have between 10 & 12 weapons and at least 300 rounds for each one. I can drive all over the state with unloaded weapons in the trunk. Washington DOES NOT have a registration for weapons or require permits for ownership.

I wonder how big the Air Guard base is? Someone should check to see if they can register their private weapons with the Provost Marshal. I did that with the base out here and now I am allowed to use the civilian range on the base which resolves the issue of having weapons near the base.

Hendu024

imported post

thejax wrote:
This is silly. This is a matter of misunderstanding and common sense.

On one hand, she has every right to be legally armed in this manner. Yet common sense should kick in and say "Hey, I want to take pictures of a military base. Should I leave my guns at home?".

Ofcourse bringing guns onto controlled or uncontrolled base property is a very big federal offense and signs are posted. If she lived near the base and is also a gun owner, I am sure she was aware of these restrictions. Now since she was not charged with a firearm on base, she must have parked offbase and was close to the fence taking pictures.

Again, should the matter of the guns come up? No. Yet law states entering base property means you could be searched. Also knowing this, she should of left her guns at home as common sense should prevail.

Should she of left them at home? Well its her right to be armed. BUT I wouldn't of did it if I wanted to take pictures of a base. Which, by the way, IS ODD.
Not necessarily. From her statement, she said she was taking pictures of a helicopter that is on display near the entrance to the base. Not really that weird, IMO.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just read both articles.

She was interagated for 5 hours before she realized she was under arrest???? I think this lady has had her brains out playing with them, one too many times. She's missing some.

Since 9/11, you simply DO NOT go around photographing military installations. I don't think you could do it before 9/11.