• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Fee Fraud Exposed in Shasta County Sheriff's Office

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

http://www.redding.com/news/2009/aug/01/sheriffs-clerk-may-have-stolen-gun-permit-fees/
Doubt Hits Gun Permits

Sheriff's Office Clerk Investigated in Fee Fraud

The validity of some of the 2,400 concealed weapons permits issued to Shasta County residents is in question after it was discovered that a Sheriff's Office clerk may have pocketed applicants' fees.

As first reported on Redding.com, Shasta County Sheriff Tom Bosenko said Friday that the woman's co-workers uncovered the alleged thefts in early June.

The woman, a 17-year veteran clerk with the sheriff's records department, was placed on administrative leave as soon as the allegations could be verified, Bosenko said.

At least 100 permit holders, mostly renewals, have been identified so far as possible victims, Bosenko said.

The woman is no longer employed with the Sheriff's Office, and Redding police are investigating the matter for possible criminal charges, Bosenko said.

Bosenko declined to name the woman because no charges have been filed and criminal and internal affairs investigations are still under way.

He wouldn't say whether the woman was fired or resigned.

Bosenko said it's believed that the clerk took concealed weapons applicants' cash and gave them copies of their permits.

She then pocketed the money and didn't file the appropriate paperwork with the county or the state Department of Justice, Bosenko said.

Only applicants who paid by cash are thought to have been targeted, Bosenko said.

The Sheriff's Office renews about 1,200 permits each year, Bosenko said. A permit lasts for two years.

There are about 2,400 gun owners carrying active concealed weapons permits.

Anyone whose permits were found to be invalid will have the problem fixed, free of charge, by the Sheriff's Office, Bosenko said.

"I'm determined to set it right," he said. "The public's trust is of utmost importance to me."

The woman also is thought to have taken cash paid for copies of Sheriff's Office documents and for fingerprinting, he said.

Bosenko estimates that a third of all the transactions in the Sheriff's Office are paid by cash.

It's still not known how much she may have stolen, and police and records employees are still combing through thousands of files, Bosenko said.

If charges are filed against the clerk, the Sheriff's Office will ask prosecutors to seek restitution to recover the lost cash, Bosenko said

In response to the thefts, the Sheriff's Office has tightened its rules on the way employees handle cash by changing the way receipts are verified and canceled.

The sheriff says he's also requested that Shasta County Auditor Connie Regnell audit the department.

Meanwhile, the Sheriff's Office has created a hot line at 245-6174 for concealed weapons permit holders who want to verify that their documents were properly processed.

They also can request verification via e-mail at sheriff@co.shasta.ca.us.

Concealed weapons permit holders are asked to provide their full names and addresses as they appear on their permits as well as their permit numbers.

E-mailed requests should include the same information, but also should be marked "Attention Jeri Gannon CCW" in the e-mail's subject line to make sure messages make it to the records department supervisor, Bosenko said.

Reporter Ryan Sabalow can be reached at 225-8344 or at rsabalow@redding.com

I will withhold my comments for the time being... butI have some doozies.

TheMrMitch

imported post

Well, I'll venture MY opinion. It is NOT the license renewers' fault so they should NOT be in any danger of having a false license. I think that's the way it will go.:dude:

N6ATF

Banned

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Okay-

Here's my beef.

The clerk stealing fees illustrates why bureaucratic approval to practice freedom is wrong. If the Sheriff were truly supported the right to keep and bear arms, he wouldnt just ensure those who paid for the privilege to carry concealed would have valid licenses. He would make the application and licensing free. 12050 is as Constitutional as a Poll Tax... and just as ethical.

What we havent heard is whether the clerk issued copies of licenses to those who were prohibited people, or to those who simply bribed her to forgo a background check. If she stole money from applicants, it is easily conceivable that she would take money from non-residents or criminals who would pay well for a stay-out-of-jail free card when they illegally conceal a loaded firearm. What then? How do you get those people to return the rice paper gun pass?

And what of my property? I won't hold my breath, but under this ironic parallel I think a person whose property was stolen should have their fees reimbursed if likewise a persons fees are stolen, with the expectation of recieving/retaining property.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
It is slightly interesting to read that so many permit holders pay in cash. Any speculation as to what drives that?

Not giving the government forms of payment that can later be used to freeze bank accounts, re-charge credit cards? Seems prudent.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
It is slightly interesting to read that so many permit holders pay in cash. Any speculation as to what drives that?
Pure speculation, but maybe the clerk said there was a "cash discount". Knock a few bucks off the fee to get more people to pay in cash?

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Hmm.. why would anyone pay cash? It's not like there are people in this world that we can't trust with our personal credit card info or money or anything. Oh wait there is, the clerk at the police department.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I don't know about you, but I'd rather a stranger have my credit card number than my cash. Cash mysteriously goes away without a trace. Credit cards are easily trackable and provide a pretty good chance of not having to pay for any charges made by somebody else.

Volatile

imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:

The Shasta County Sheriff's office does not accept credit / debit cards... Checks or cash only. I, for one, paid cash because it's 2009 and I assumed they'd accept my Visa card. When she told me they couldn't and I realized my check book was at home with my other antiques, I hit up the nearest ATM.

:)

AyatollahGondola

imported post

Volatile wrote:
AyatollahGondola wrote:

The Shasta County Sheriff's office does not accept credit / debit cards... Checks or cash only. I, for one, paid cash because it's 2009 and I assumed they'd accept my Visa card. When she told me they couldn't and I realized my check book was at home with my other antiques, I hit up the nearest ATM.

Checks are antiques, but cash is not?

Volatile

imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
Volatile wrote:
AyatollahGondola wrote:

Checks are antiques, but cash is not?

hah, ok... Good point. The difference is, I can get cash anywhere, but I have to go all the way to my house to get my checkbook.