• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

taurus ultra-lite 85

bossten1

imported post

ok so I went back to the gun store today and traded that pos 9mm revolver for a more tried and true .38. they didn't exactly give me a refund but, bought it back for what I paid for it minus tax. I also had to upgrade to this .38 but it was well worth the extra money to not have to contact Taurus and wait for a gun repair. these 85's have a great reputation and sell quickly. the 9mm revolver was a cool concept but just not ready for such a complicated revolver. the gun smith at the local shop said the problem with the 9mm revolver was timing ,what ever it is Im over it. Ill be shooting this .38 in a few hours and will post results.

wally1120

imported post

You traded A more powerful 9MM for A less powerful .38 SPL. I know many people that have the 905 and they have no problems with it. You should have got ahold of Taurus to fix the problem. Taurus has A very good warrenty on there guns.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

wally1120 wrote:
You traded A more powerful 9MM for A less powerful .38 SPL. I know many people that have the 905 and they have no problems with it. You should have got ahold of Taurus to fix the problem. Taurus has A very good warrenty on there guns.
Good warranty, not always so great service.

A friend waited over 7 months for repair work - the cylinder would not lock amongst other things. They did finally come through. YMMV.

Yata hey

TehGruu

imported post

It took me over 2 months to get my model 85 back when I sent it in. The only problem was the firing pin spring. They said they replaced it, as well as the mag catch and one other thing. However, when I received it, it looked the saem as when I sent it back. I took it to my gunsmith and he fixed it in less than 5 minutes. I showed him the invoice and he said he saw no indication that any of that work happened. I just should have gone to him in the first place. In fact, due to this incident, unless I have something catastrophic happen with any of my guns that are under warranty, I take all of my guns to him first. Now, that being said, I did not pay one cent when I sent it back to Taurus. So yeah, good waranty, so-so customer service.

-Gruu

bossten1

imported post

to wally1120 .yea that was the thing the warranty stories scared me. if I was going to have to send it to taurus I was going to display great customer disatisfaction and ask for credit towards something else if possible .I like the ease of just being able to load those .38s fast with nothing to drop loose,break or bend.the stellar clip are horrible .

does a 9mm really have more power as stated above? power or speed or both? I was under the impression the .38 was more powerful.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bossten1 wrote:
snip.........does a 9mm really have more power as stated above? power or speed or both? I was under the impression the .38 was more powerful.
It is generally accepted that a 9mm is considerably more effective for self-defensive purposes than a .38 cal.

Without getting technical, IMHO the following list from weakest to most powerful are: .22 - .25 - .380 - .38 - 9mm - .40 - .45 - .357 - 10mm

Speed alone can be a poor standard. As an example, a .45 is quite slow but has a large frontal area and has extremely good stopping power.

At a certain point, it is more a function of ammunition available or carried in a caliber than the actual size of the bore. Note .380, .38, 9mm and .357 are really the same caliber/diameter - you can shoot .38 in .357 revolvers all day - but difference in bullet weight and velocity alter the results.

Gold Dots in a .38 are better than 9mm ball ammo - but the best .38 won't match the best 9mm.

Revolvers are simpler, less likely to malfunction and are not finicky about what ammo is feed them. Auto pistols have their own benefits, beginning with higher capacity generally.

Yata hey

Brian D.

imported post

There's something about the taper of the 9mm parabellum case and/or relatively high pressure that seems to vex the handgun companies in regards to building wheelguns in this caliber. Or so I've read a time or two.

On the other hand I had my pistolsmith (who's a S&W certified armorer) get me a 9mm cylinder to fit to my Model 37, which is an Airweight in .38 special. While I was fitting the 9mm cylinder to the frame I polished the cylinder chambers a fair amount. (They seemed very tight until I did the polishing). That minor bit of work seems to have prevented the binding issues so commonly referenced among owners of many 9mm wheelguns. The fix can't be that simple, can it?

tripledipper

imported post

Grapeshot's ammunitionexplanation should be used for reference by all novice gunowners. It is simple and to the point. That said, a .22lr rimfire revolver isvery finicky about what it wants to be fed from my limited experience.:)