• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: sealed record wait?

B-Nut

imported post

Quick question for those that have sealed there records. How long did you have to wait to get your letters from LE agencies??? I sealed mine in april and haven't received letters from the Bellingham PD and the sheriffs department. I had the lady that handles sealed records contact them and she said it was on there list of "things to do." I just think 3 1/2 months is pretty long wait for compliance with a court order.

Tony Santiago

imported post

I never got a letter from any of the departments. I got a letter from the attorney who was responsible for my case. The letter was a certified copy of the judges and prosecutor's signature, mentioning that my files are sealed.

Now not even law enforcement agencies have my record on file.

I've done ride alongs, and have obtained my CPL. None of the agencies who ran the background check found anything at all, which was to my surprise, considering I use to be under the impression that a sealed record was still accessible to law enforcement agencies.

cynicist

imported post

You don't get a letter from LE.
Did you do it yourself?
I did mine myself, and all I got was a copy of the order to seal (I foolishly passed on the notarized copy of the order to seal - don't do that!)
The order to seal is supposedly sent to any LE agency that has your records, and the same ones you (or your attorney) gave notice to of the hearing to seal.
Somehow, WSP only got the notice of motion to seal, but didn't get the actual order, so when background check time came... They were nice about it though, I just faxed a copy and it was taken care of within hours.
Anywho, you don't get or need one from LE. You have the court order.

cynicist

imported post

Did you do it yourself?
I did mine myself, and all I got was a copy of the order to seal (I foolishly passed on the notarized copy of the order to seal - don't do that!)
The order to seal is supposedly sent to any LE agency that has your records, and the same ones you (or your attorney) gave notice to of the hearing to seal.
Somehow, WSP only got the notice of motion to seal, but didn't get the actual order, so when background check time came... They were nice about it though, I just faxed a copy and it was taken care of within hours.

None of the agencies who ran the background check found anything at all, which was to my surprise, considering I use to be under the impression that a sealed record was still accessible to law enforcement agencies.
They still have it, it is just not disseminable to the public. My PD attempted to use them once WSP took care of the accidental non-sealing. They don't show conviction, just PC at time of arrest.

Tony Santiago

imported post

cynicist wrote:
Did you do it yourself?

None of the agencies who ran the background check found anything at all, which was to my surprise, considering I use to be under the impression that a sealed record was still accessible to law enforcement agencies.
They still have it, it is just not disseminable to the public. My PD attempted to use them once WSP took care of the accidental non-sealing. They don't show conviction, just PC at time of arrest.
I was never arrested though.

The police departments directly told me that there was absolutely nothing in their database regarding criminal conviction. I disclosed my sealed record to them when applying for my CPL and when I did my ride alongs.. and they said nothing was there at all.

Tony Santiago

imported post

I applied through the Kent Police Department to get my CPL, and I've done ride alongs with Tukwila and Black Diamond. Neither of which had my record at all.

Aaron1124

imported post

Tony Santiago wrote:
I applied through the Kent Police Department to get my CPL, and I've done ride alongs with Tukwila and Black Diamond. Neither of which had my record at all.
I actually contacted Des Moines Police (they were the ones who I obtained my CPL through) and asked an officer (not the receptionist) if an individual has a sealed record, if it would show up.

The officer responded, in exact words "If an individual has his or her juvenile record sealed, then it won't show up in our system when we perform the background check"

But like another poster said, the arrest may still show up. If you were never arrested, then that would make sense.

B-Nut

imported post

Well I knowI amsupposed to get letters because they told me they would send them. I have received letters of confirmation from theprosecuters office, county clerk and the WSP/FBI.So at this point i stayed clear of trouble for nine years and jumped through the hoops and still can't buy a handgun. Its driving me nuts. I amreally interested in finally getting to OC. Ive been reading a lot here and just itching for the chance to get to do it. well i appreciate the input thanks.