Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT - legal to kill mountain lion?

Banned

Post imported post

friends had a mountain lion stalking some cattle next to their house in auburn. and they have kids.you can kill them if they pose a threat to you without a permit? i know you can tocoyotes.

Post imported post

As long as it's not in endangered I suppose.

edit. Been browsing through fish and wildlife codes but can't find anything, best bet is to call fish and wildlife and see what they advise. Back in Alaska you kill the thing then report it to fish and game.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

I have a soft-spot for big kitties.

Is live trapping and relocation an option? Maybe a conservation group is already set up to do this.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned

Post imported post

i saw some stuff on the fish and game site

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/living/cougars.htm

they say they may try and relocate it. call the cops. they are only trying to live but kids around another story. going to have her contact them and see also talk to the neighbor whos property it was on. if it will attack a full grown cow (they saw it stalkking it). i know i dont want to run into it unarmed

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    I have a soft-spot for big kitties.

Is live trapping and relocation an option? Maybe a conservation group is already set up to do this.
    I support this. Trapping and relocating would result in a happy cat and a happy human. No one needs to die if it can be avoided.

Post imported post

I'd rather have a nice kitty on the wall I can pet any time I want. That way I'm not shipping my problem off to someone else.

Post imported post

Eh, I don't really consider making it someone elses problem. But that's just my opinion.

Post imported post

Shoot it, then call the gamiesI have had them kill our cattle and goats.They are not dumb enough to go in a live trap.

Post imported post

Stlhead wrote:
    Shoot it, then call the gamiesI have had them kill our cattle and goats.They are not dumb enough to go in a live trap.
    There have been mountain lions that have been trapped by WDFW and relocated into the cascades.

Post imported post

Shoot. Shovel. Shut-up.

Post imported post

I don't see the point in killing the animal if relocation achieves the same goal.

Post imported post

Mountain Lion, It's What's For Dinner...

Post imported post

I had a Bobcat on my property in Carnation last summer on our way back in from town. None of us had our guns with us that we usually carry on us. We stopped the truck and got ontop of the box to watch it cross the field nect to us. We at first were going to get our guns, but then were just awe struck at the beast from so close and were not sure the legalities without a permit, sowe let it go. The next day there was a sheep carcass on the road which made a meal later on for a black bear that drug it off in the night. If we had killed the cat we would have saved the life of the sheep...

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    Stlhead wrote:
    There have been mountain lions that have been trapped by WDFW and relocated into the cascades.
    Wonderful. One more live predator of humans I have to watch out for when I hike in the Cascades. Then to top it off, it's illegal to carry in the NP for now.
    Cougar are becoming significantly overpopulated since dog hunting was banned. That thing would get the air let out of it so fast the WDFW wouldn't have a chance to sniffle first, if it were endangering my property and family. I lived where cougar attacks were a very real threat. It's not a kitty, it's a lion. It will stalk and kill an adult if it's hungry enough. Kids are, well, child's play for it.

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

Solar wrote:
    I had a Bobcat on my property in Carnation last summer on our way back in from town. None of us had our guns with us that we usually carry on us. We stopped the truck and got ontop of the box to watch it cross the field nect to us. We at first were going to get our guns, but then were just awe struck at the beast from so close and were not sure the legalities without a permit, so*we let it go. The next day there was a sheep carcass on the road which made a meal later on for a black bear that drug it off in the night. If we had killed the cat we would have saved the life of the sheep...
    But then the bear might have starved. "It's the ciiiircle of liiiiiife...."

Post imported post

Buy a license and a tag. Shoot it and have it cut and wrapped. Eat it.

Post imported post

virgil47 wrote:
    Buy a license and a tag. Shoot it and have it cut and wrapped. Eat it.
    Then have a big OC BBQ

Post imported post

Season opens` Sept 1-25 for archery, Sept 28-Oct 16 Muzzleloder, Oct 17- Mar 31 any weapon.

Post imported post

You can shoot mountain lions in the act of predation on your property. You have a legal right to defend and protect your live stock.

That is different from shooting one for self defense. Which you can do but the burden of proof is on you. Game agents have huge discrection in these matters.

You could get a ticket for hunting during close season and have to present your facts to the judge.

Your best choice is to alert them to the problem if you have one around than if you have to shoot later they have some history.

MY understanding.

Post imported post

Here's what I would do

1) Build a fence large enough to keep most would-be predators off of my property

2) Have a couple of LGDs (Livestock Guardian Dogs), such as Caucasian Ovtcharkas, Anatolian Shepherds, etc etc. They alone would be enough to thwart any cougar away from a potential attack on animals or your property.

3) If, for some reason, all else failed, I'd fire a warning shot, which would most likely spook the animal.

I'd only kill it in a last resort.

Again, that is my opinion. You're entitled to do what you want.

Post imported post

P.E.T.A.

Post imported post

Stlhead wrote:
    P.E.T.A.
    I don't know how that group can claim to be a pro environment and pro wildlife group considering they've done more damage than they've done good.

Post imported post

People Eating Tasty Animals

Post imported post

The WA wildlife dept will track the cougars, we have them by our house all the time, they are no problem.

No reason to kill them.

That PETA joke . . . Zzzzzzz.

Post imported post

The only thing I like about PETA is the hot babe taking off her clothes in the video...:celebrate

Having said that, I agree that a cage/trap is good, but children? To protect the children and other humans or livestock is to shoot if necessary on any level...

Erik.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast