• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

walmart, cops, let go on my merry way

compmanio365

imported post

I agree, in most all cases, I will politely decline to show ID. But if I decided for some reason that I wanted to show it today, that should be my choice just like refusing to show is.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
Since Washington has no stop and identify law then I don't see why you would give out your information. Police might start to think that you have to show ID whenever they ask for it. We're going to start losing rights if we give them up for smiles.
Wow!! Thank you. You jogged something loose for me.

Police already expect people to show ID whenever they ask!!!Why did this coptreat this OPer differently than anybody else he might investigate?Why did this cop include all the preamble? Lets face it. That was some serious "nice" the cop was applying.

I'm betting part of the picture is that the cop already knew thatOCers area rights-oriented bunch. I'm bettinghe knew that if he tried anything heavier handed he would be hearing about it.

Batousaii

imported post

Of course my points are my personal opinion, it is just they way "I see it" so i don't want any members being offended by my comments. I in no way ever intend to antagonise or upset a fellowforum member who has same base goals that the rest of us have. So, even though we might have different ideals or approaches, or even disagree sometimes, I think in the end we all have the same "end game goal" to be able to simply go about our business without any contact or intrusion, and to be seen and looked upon the same as anyone else. I just feel that when we create a hard edge, we risk the chance of getting the hard edge too (personal opinion).

- Flip side, I FULLY understand rogue cops, i have been the victim of a rogue cop, it was a shattering experience, so i really do understand that those bastards are out there lurking, and they are no better than a common criminal. In my eyes, those are not true LEOs. They might not have a criminal record, and they hide behind abadge, but the rogue cops are just as bad as a thug dealer or a rapist. So in all my address here, i am admittedly functioning as if dealing with an actual honest LEO who is simply trying to do his/her job under Honorable intent, and the best they know how. They are human too, so they are subject to the same and widely varied ideals that we ourselves are. I would hope in the end we can see through the crap and acknowledge the positive possibilities here too....

- Me, I am not a perfect person with any sort of perfect answer, simply, like all of us here, i am trying to find a solution that embodies our goals. Some of us here are 2-A and/or OC activists, Some of us here are Practitioners who want to just go about our way, and Some of us here are not quite ready to OC, want the field to open, but still trying to do our part, and some just quietly waiting.... but again, i think we all have the same final desire: To carry and not be bothered.

- Lets keep comparing notes, sharing ideas, and lets all keep an open mind to another viewpoints in hopes of learning, growing, and reaching our goals. I might be wrong sometimes, i can admit it, and I can maybe learn from another viewpoint too.

:dude:Bat

joeroket

imported post

compmanio365 wrote:
I agree, in most all cases, I will politely decline to show ID.  But if I decided for some reason that I wanted to show it today, that should be my choice just like refusing to show is.

+1

It is no ones business but the person who chooses to show the ID.

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

Here is my take on it...

OP did fine and probably about the same as I would.

Did he HAVE to provide the info? No.
What harm came from doing so? None.
What good came from doing so? Much.

I can tell you this type of a contact does much better for the gun-carrying public's reputation than the ones where all the friction and heat get generated. At the end of the day this was a non-event in the PD's eyes.

Were his rights violated? No, they were not. This interaction was completely consensual. You can voluntarily show your ID and CPL to anyone you want. I frequently show my CPL to people I talk to about firearms when they ask about the process, etc.

While the officer did not have PC or RAS for a Terry stop, it doesn't sound to me like he made a Terry stop. He clearly advised the OP that he knew the law and was not real concerned. That would signal to me that I was not being detained. PC and RAS are only an issue for detaining someone, and are NOT required for a casual or consensual conversation.

Thundar

imported post

BB62 wrote:
Batousaii wrote:
...In the end, if we act like we are on an opposite side of LEO then we are going to be treated like it. If we show just a little cooperation and give an inch, then they will (or should too). It all has to start someplace. We want to be setting the example, not just for LEO, but for all that are watching...
Hmmm...

What is your definition of "cooperation"? Showing ID when it's not required, or just not stating "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO A WHITE (BLACK, etc.) MAN IN AMERICA!!"?
try this statement:

This is what happens to a free man in America

or try this:

This is what happens to an armed man (citizen) in America.

Batousaii

imported post

BB62 wrote:
.....or just not stating "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO A WHITE (BLACK, etc.) MAN IN AMERICA!!"?

yeah, Let me know how that works for you.

- I personally feel that making a scene, or throwing the race card, or any card, is gonna create an unwanted friction, and in the end the public view will be against us for it. I do not want to come across as a radical activist to an officer and onlookers, especially if he was initially intending to let me about my business. This in effect would be me creating the environment i want by way of swaying public opinion through their observations of my behaviour. Flip side: Wouldn't it be nice, if someday, as an officerwent to talk to an OCer, some friendly stranger comes up in the OCers defence and says "he aint doin anything wrong" to the LEO. You have then won the battle here. Public, or common view will never change to our favor if we are seen or act any different from anyone else on any given subject that might create a minor contact from a LEO. If it is a minor encounter, then dang, let it be minor. Turn it into a scene by throwing cards, or making friction, give em a reason to pick on us or scrutinize us, and then blame them for a crappy encounter? This whole thing is gonna be what we make it. We have the power to change laws,sway public opinion, and even put ourselves in a good light. How are we going to do this by creating an unpopular publicreputation. In the end, we can sway public opinion, as withanything it'll probably be a "popular" opinion for a while, then simmer down to a state of normalcy. I have avoided many uncomfortable situations with an amount of civil and considerate maneuvering than by standing my ground. Now remember, this is all in the light of a minor, casual encounter. I have not been addressing reactions to an aggressive or assertive LEO. So, in the end my personal opinion stands, that "standing my ground" during an otherwise minor encounter runs the risk of escalating the LEO's efforts to find something wrong. I might refuse ID, and walk away (politely) as it is my right, but then analyse the LEO's feeling and opinion of you, and how that affects the next counter with you (maybe on a tail light stop), or how it affects the next OCer he encounters. The grass that sticks up gets cut first, And i have no desire to stick out or seem any different from any other person that officer approaches.....yes... i want OC to be normal as apple pie, and cops dont bug people for eating pie.

- If we want the LEO to change their way, then we need to be contacting their supervisors and Captains, and encouraging them to train on these subjects, and reinforce our rights from the top down. Rather than creating friction at the bottom, we end up greasing the wheel and makes it smoother before any encounter happens. This also shows our own civil muscle and improves the situation vastly. By holding the leadership accountable for the officers actions, you end up reinforcing our rights and motivating the officers to "do it right" rather than us trying to use the "consent" in an effort to avoid confrontation angle. But current state of affair, we have not taken those steps, we have allowed these situations to remain stagnant, and we now want to stand our ground at ground level.

- If your tire is dragging and starts to smoke, suspect the brakes or bearings before you suspect the treads....... Most officers are "ground level" operators like you and me. Creating friction at our level does no good, and wont fix anything. Trying to eliminate friction at our "OCer-to-Officer "level is a temporary fix, and I am first to acknowledge this. Reach up and fix the breaks, get the supervisors and trainers involved, and then the whole thing starts moving smoother for everyone.

-- Sorry if my original comment was rude, i just really hate card throwing - it's helps no one.

- it is OK to disagree with me, again, this is my personal opinion.

:cool:Bat

Trigger Dr

imported post

Bat,

Kinda like my Dad used to say..."I convinced the cat that chloroform was good for fleas."

Batousaii

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Bat,

Kinda like my Dad used to say..."I convinced the cat that chloroform was good for fleas."

Wakarimasen, nani desu ka? (i dont understand, what is it?).

not sure of the context of that. we telling the cat to be quiet and deal with it? Or is the cat trying to play dead so the fleas jump off ? or am i still way off the meaning?

- i like sayings :p so please helpme out here.

TY- Bat.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Well, he could not get rid of the fleas, so....he got rid of the cat. I related it to the untrained cops as fleas, and going to the top for correction. If that don't work get rid of the top cops.

Batousaii

imported post

Yeap, completely agree. I am a firm believer that the LEO community needs to be held responsible for their actions and their mistakes. For most of us mortals, if we screw the pooch, we get fired. They should be held to the same standard. Last i checked, they were actually human too. If they were under the scope of job-mortality, they might be a bit more careful with the common citizen who is not breaking any serious laws.

:) Bat

compmanio365

imported post

Batousaii wrote:
Yeap, completely agree. I am a firm believer that the LEO community needs to be held responsible for their actions and their mistakes. For most of us mortals, if we screw the pooch, we get fired. They should be held to the same standard. Last i checked, they were actually human too. If they were under the scope of job-mortality, they might be a bit more careful with the common citizen who is not breaking any serious laws.

:) Bat
Umm, if we screwed up the way cops screw up, we'd be in jail, not just fired. Why are cops not going to jail when they break the law?