• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

sloppy CC no CPL needed!!

1245A Defender

imported post

an oregon op with an IWB some times accidently CCs cause his shirt fell over the butt, but the cop says "if i saw any of it, then its OC"... So if you CC with a little "exposure", so that an astute obvserver would be able to tell youre packin! could that negate the requirement to have a CPL.. could the cop asking for a CPL sayin, i could tell youre packin ,be proof that youre actually OCing?? therefore no CPL required!

p2a1x7

imported post

If you really want to test your all theories with the law, I'm not one to stop you. But I wouldn't advise it. Going off one LEO's opinion is not a good idea. Especially in another state. And as part of that, I would not offer that opinion up as fact to other people.

Just get a CPL and abide by the laws or work to change them.

Hammer

imported post

I play a little game with a few friends in places it is more appropriate to CC. We try to look for the others' "print" and find their piece. While most of the time it is possible, sometimes it is not.
Just because we can detect a pistol does not make it OC.
Tho the law does not detail out all the specifics of OC vs. CC, I would not try to test the limits of carry without a CPL.
Perhaps a crash test dummy is needed. Any volunteers?

Tawnos

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
an oregon op with an IWB some times accidently CCs cause his shirt fell over the butt, but the cop says "if i saw any of it, then its OC"... So if you CC with a little "exposure", so that an astute obvserver would be able to tell youre packin! could that negate the requirement to have a CPL.. could the cop asking for a CPL sayin, i could tell youre packin ,be proof that youre actually OCing?? therefore no CPL required!
No, where the heck are you getting all these theories? Open carry means just that, open. It does not mean "mostly concealed except for that one little bit that someone trained to recognize the signs of firearms carry would notice and say 'ah ha! he's armed'."

Why are you trying this so much? You seem to have obsessed on the CPL and everything you can do to avoid it.

Batousaii

imported post

Definitelynot. in fact there is mention of similar on king country training bulletin.

- to recycle a phrase from an earlier post, a poorly concealed weapon is still concealed. In another topic, someone was trying to say that if you were heavily printing that it counts as OC too.. again, definitely wrong. A pistol that shows intent or apparent intent to be concealed will be treated that way by the average LEO. It's not that they are trying to be a jerk, it's just their job. I might not like it or agree with it, i personally feel that i should be able to just have and carry my sidearm with no questions asked, but facts of life here, we have to be realistic and reasonable about the current state of the game.

- If we walk the line and test the boundaries with recklessness, then we will be treated with the appropriate response. If we carefully check the boundaries and work to expand them in a proper manner, then we will end up with a wide field to operate in and allot of respect for having created it properly.

Bat.

usaf0906

imported post

It seems that what you are refering to has been called the "virginia tuck" where you use an IWB holster but tuck your shirt behind so that the handle is visible.

What it boils down to is how the law is worded. I searched the RCW and couldnt find a definition of "concealed" but my best guess is that it has to be completely hidden from view. If an average person can tell its a firearm,I would say your are good.

EDIT: Also the police officer might factor in your intent. If you simply wear a short shirt so that sometimes the gun is visible, or is partly visible, he could assume you were attempting to CC. Where as if you tuck the shirt behind the holster, and it doesnt get covered, he could assume your intent was to keep it visible.

*I am not a lawyer*

**I dont play one on TV**

Manu

imported post

If you guys read old posts from last few years you will be able to see some real LEO encounters on this subject... Just put some efforts to find it out which posts are those :)