• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded Open Carry in CA, IL, TX, FL, NY, etc...

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

We spend a great deal of time on OCDO gnashing our teeth at business owners in open carry states who prohibit it on their premises.

What about reversing the thought process and find business owners that will allow open carry on their private property in states which do not allow public open carry but do not prohibit it on private property?

The business owner could put up a "gun friendly" sign in the parking lot. Pull in with a cased unloaded gun; strap on, load up, and go support the fine American's business.

If you follow the 4A arguments saying that businesses aren't really public places, that the owners absolutely have the right to control firearms, do they not also have the right to allow them?

I'd love to see a newspaper picture of 50 people open carrying in NYC with a ring of police gnashing their teeth just off the property.

If we can find a seriously anti-2A location where this would not be illegal I'm in the first $100 to rent a commercial property for a month. Lots of carriers, lots of media. No dead people. This would make a complete mockery of the local politicians claims that their constituents are far too dangerous to follow the rest of the country. Might even find the crime rate on that whole block decreases a bit.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

Jim675 wrote:
We spend a great deal of time on OCDO gnashing our teeth at business owners in open carry states who prohibit it on their premises.

What about reversing the thought process and find business owners that will allow open carry on their private property in states which do not allow public open carry but do not prohibit it on private property?

The business owner could put up a "gun friendly" sign in the parking lot. Pull in with a cased unloaded gun; strap on, load up, and go support the fine American's business.
In Florida, the cops are employed to invent new ways of making arrests, so having the law on your side is almost no protection.

Further, in Florida, I believe the law only covers you at your place of business, but I do not think that the law could legally extinguish a person's right to let his invitees conduct themselves in a fashion approved by the owner, especially if the owner erects a sign explicitly revoking the implied license of the police to enter.

Still, it's not wise to tempt the cops in Florida. They're mean; they're out for blood, and they lie. No business owner would dare cross them. Florida's not really America. If you want to OC, find a real state.

R a Z o R

Banned
imported post

Jim675 wrote:

Let's drop it into overdrive with : a clean windshield , a full tank of gas , and put on our sunglasses . Last I checked it is still our country .

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Another variation then. Granted that it would be quite a stretch for an established business, would it be illegal for a private home owner to invite his/her guest to carry in whatever mode makes them comfortable?

If FL is out, what of the other troubled states/cities with infringed rights?

If we could find the right combination of gun laws / property laws this could send a huge message.

I'll be happy to fly in and OC visit if we can find a taker.

KBCraig

imported post

In Texas, Penal Code 46.02 prohibits having a gun on our about your person, then lists the exemptions (like having a concealed handgun and a CHL), which includes an exemption when you're on property you own or control.

There is no exemption for "the person who owns or controls the property gave us permission."

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thank you for the information.

So, Texas is out, perhaps. What if a TX property owner were to write up a one month rental contract to a group of OCers for a nominal fee?

buster81

imported post

smoking357 wrote:

In Florida, the cops are employed to invent new ways of making arrests, so having the law on your side is almost no protection.

Further, in Florida, I believe the law only covers you at your place of business, but I do not think that the law could legally extinguish a person's right to let his invitees conduct themselves in a fashion approved by the owner, especially if the owner erects a sign explicitly revoking the implied license of the police to enter.

Still, it's not wise to tempt the cops in Florida. They're mean; they're out for blood, and they lie. No business owner would dare cross them. Florida's not really America. If you want to OC, find a real state.
I had no idea Florida was this bad. Is this personal experience? I spent a great deal of time in Florida as a kid, and still do today on regular fishing trips, and haven't had any interaction with the po-po in FL at all. Is it the whole state, or limited to particular counties?

smoking357

Banned
imported post

buster81 wrote:
smoking357 wrote:

I had no idea Florida was this bad. Is this personal experience? I spent a great deal of time in Florida as a kid, and still do today on regular fishing trips, and haven't had any interaction with the po-po in FL at all. Is it the whole state, or limited to particular counties?
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32266883

A few years ago, the wife was given a ticket for failing to use a signal while making a lane change. Thing was, we saw the cop as we drove by, and as she made her lane change, I told her "make sure you use your signal; there's a pig back there." She used her signal, and was given a ticket, anyway. Down here, the cops just make up stuff, and the courts let it happen. If you complain, they'll fabricate more charges.

Every last one of them is a liar. The judges are liars who are paid to support the pigs as sort of adjunct prosecutors.

We've lost the country.

Stay out of Florida. Orlando sucks, and Disney's tacky. There's nothing terribly great here.

buster81

imported post

smoking357 wrote:
buster81 wrote:
smoking357 wrote:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32266883

A few years ago, the wife was given a ticket for failing to use a signal while making a lane change. Thing was, we saw the cop as we drove by, and as she made her lane change, I told her "make sure you use your signal; there's a pig back there." She used her signal, and was given a ticket, anyway. Down here, the cops just make up stuff, and the courts let it happen. If you complain, they'll fabricate more charges.

Every last one of them is a liar. The judges are liars who are paid to support the pigs as sort of adjunct prosecutors.

We've lost the country.

Stay out of Florida. Orlando sucks, and Disney's tacky. There's nothing terribly great here.
That is a bummer about the ticket. I have no intention os spending a great deal of time near Orlando, but the fishing is pretty good on the gulf side. If I stay on the water, I should be safe.

Bull Frog

imported post

If what you say is true, it is time to run all the cops out of Florida. After all, it sounds like law abiding citizens out number them bigtime. Get your guns, girls and boys. Chase those corrupt, dirty cops out of the state.