• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

is seattle safe to oc or has people that oc?

lemonizer

imported post

I live in new york city but in a few years i would like to buy house in seattle as a frew of my best friends lives there (they're clueless about guns and the law so i can't get a good answer from them sadly). I'm very glad there are strong parts of this country that aren't so anti-gun and anti-constitution, it gave me a lot of hope for this country.

Nyc is a #@$ty place because i hate how they make a mockery of the constitution and i'm sick of it (esp. where guns are ocncerned).

So iw anted to know, esp. from anyone who lives in Seattle, do you oc? Is there a lot of oc people in city? I do understand that seattle is quite liberal so I wanted to know if it was safe (i mean i don't want to get shot by people or cops like they do here in new york city if they just SEE someone with a holstered weapon) to oc here.

I know legally i can do it but that's not what i'm asking. i Hope i'm making sense. Thank you from all who reply. I like rifles over handguns because i want more power if i ever need it but i do understand that i have to place rifles in a case or have the magazines taken out if i want to oc those.

Aaron1124

imported post

Actually there are no statutes in the state of Washington which would tell you that you can not open carry a loaded long arm. There, however, statutes that prohibit the concealed carrying of a long arm. If you have a holster for your long arm, then you can definitely open carry it.. (Not that I would, but that's just my opinion)

I've seen numerous people in the general vicinity of the area who open carry their pistols, and I've never seen any of the authorities give them flak for it.

On the contrary, I've read numerous stories on here about how they have been detained and harassed for open carrying their pistol. Infact, some of the stories are so disturbing, that it almost makes a person not want to even bother with it. Although, the more people open carry, the more the authorities will get use to it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of rookie officers who aren't aware that open carry is legal, and often harass citizens who do open carry. Fortunately, many police departments are posting training bulletins for their officers to read regarding the legalities of open carry.

Over all, Washington is a pretty good state when it comes to the open carrying of firearms. Western Washington seems to be a bit better about it than Eastern Washington (Judging from stories I've read)

Tawnos

imported post

I'm walking around Seattle right now and OCing (well, I'm eating pizza at All Purpose Pizza at the moment, but was walking earlier and will again later). No problems.

j2l3

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
There ARE, however, statutes that prohibit the concealed carrying of a long arm. If you have a holster for your long arm, then you can definitely open carry it.. (Not that I would, but that's just my opinion)

Citation please. There is a statute about transport of long guns in a vehicle. Can't be loaded.

I have never heard of a statute that addresses concealed carry of a long gun specifically. Doesn't mean there isn't one, but if there is, I'd like to see it.

Machoduck

imported post

A far more important issue, day to day, is that you can't carry a loaded pistol in any vehicle without a CPL. You are certainly allowed to unload when reaching your car, and conversely, but it's a bother. See RCW 9.41.050. Speaking of the Revised Code of Washington, I recommend downloading a copy of all of 9.41 and I'm not giving you a link because I want you to go the the stickied pages at the top of forum 55 and get familiar with that material. The stickies will have links to all the downloads you'll need.

MD

Glocked and Loaded

imported post

Maybe its because we can only get Concealed Pistol license's here.

It's also probably due to the fact its fairly hard to conceal a long arm comfortably. At least for me. I don't see me putting my 30-06 in my pants... Id look way to happy to see everybody lol.

And I have had no problems OC'ing. Just the usual staring and people thinking I am a cop.

Only person who asked me about my gun was asking me how to get his hands on a gun under the counter, I have no idea what that was all about.

Aaron1124

imported post

Glocked and Loaded wrote:
Maybe its because we can only get Concealed Pistol license's here.

It's also probably due to the fact its fairly hard to conceal a long arm comfortably. At least for me. I don't see me putting my 30-06 in my pants... Id look way to happy to see everybody lol.

And I have had no problems OC'ing. Just the usual staring and people thinking I am a cop.

Only person who asked me about my gun was asking me how to get his hands on a gun under the counter, I have no idea what that was all about.
He was probably either a felon, or someone who had bad intentions with the gun.