• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

robbery at buddys gas station

cabman1

imported post

Two men are in custody after an armed robbery early Saturday morning at Buddy's Mini Mart, 1612 N. West Ave.

City of Jackson police officers were dispatched shortly after midnight and determined two suspects had used a gun to rob the store, according a press release from the department.

As the suspects fled the store they confronted a 55-year-old Jackson man who was driving near it. The man, who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon, fired one round at the suspects after they threatened him and his family with a firearm, according to the release.

No one was shot, Jackson police Sgt. David Stadelman said.

The suspects, who were described as men wearing dark clothing, fled on foot.

Two men, including a 19 year old, were later arrested in connection with the incident and police are searching for a third suspect, who may have been involved, Stadelman said.

It was unknown how much was taken from the store. No further information on the incident was available Saturday afternoon.

The Jackson County major case team, Michigan State Police and Blackman Township Department of Public Safety assisted with the investigation.

Smoothsounds21

imported post

Dang. I tell ya. If I'm shooting at you I'm guna hit you, and probably more than one time. What I get from this story is the guy need to practice more or get a laser sight.:lol:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cabman1 wrote:
SNIP...and determined two suspects had used a gun to rob the store,...
What? Did they hand it back forth to each other?

"Here, you rob that cash register, then give me the gun to rob this cash register."

"But, boss, what if there isa safe, too?"

"We're crap outa luck. We only got two robbers and one gun."

"But..."

"Shut up and get busy."

Jblack44

imported post

Smoothsounds21 wrote:
Dang. I tell ya. If I'm shooting at you I'm guna hit you, and probably more than one time. What I get from this story is the guy need to practice more or get a laser sight.:lol:

Let's hope that's true.:)But I think if someone is pointing a gun at you, your going to be in a completely different frame of mind.

Not really the same thing, but think about all the deer hunters that can drive tacks at the range but get buck fever and couldn't hit the side of a barn! Some never pul the trigger, or rack all the bullets through the gun never firing a one.

I wouldn't criticize this guy for missing the robber. You don't have any idea the situation he was in.

dukenukum

imported post

I just blogged about the need to practice with your defensive weapon.
I wonder if the prosecutor will charge the Man for defending him and his or the crooks try and sue for emotional distress.

malignity

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Looks like that place has been robbed before.

http://blog.mlive.com/citpat/2007/12/man_arrested_accused_of_robbin.html

Keep in mind, this is the same store that I was stopped and detained only a few hundred yards away for OCing. That store is in THE SAME parking lot I was told "firearms are not allowed on this property". Apparantly the robbers didn't get that memo...or maybe they did and that is why they keep robbing it!
If the place sues him for having a gun on the property and there's no visible 'CEZ signs', and the gun was used in self defense, as well as defense of the store, I would imagine there would have to be some sort of legal grounds for a counter suit. If I have my gun on me, and I need to use it to protect my life, nobody is going to dare tell me I can't use it to do so, and if they think otherwise, they're jeopardizing both my life, as well as theirs. Simply put, that's negligent. Nobody's going to tell me I can't save my own life.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

It does say the man w/ the cpl was "driving". Perhaps they ran up to him at a light or stop sign, maybe driving slowly and he could only get off a shot while trying to get way... maybe a shot that was blocked; maybe he hit one of the vermin but didn't know that he did; who knows. The person being a poor shot may or not be the case. I'm just glad the report didn't make him out to be a vigilante or "crazed gun freak" out on the prowl and that he was able to protect his family by stopping the criminals' advance against them, in whatever manner that worked. His family is unhurt and he apparently only fired the gun when they were threatened, as opposed just to "acting like a ToughA$$" and trying to "citizen's arrest" the BGs after robbing someplace.
Family safe
Self unharmed
Apparently legal use of firearm
IMHO, this is a good case of a CPL holder doing everything right.

maahes

imported post

From what I was told by mall management Buddys is not part of the mall. The only gas station that they have is the shell station on the corner.
According to the map http://www.jacksoncrossing.com/files/JacksonCrossingMall.pdf
they dont list Buddys, however they also dont list Panera or Pizza Hut which I was told by mall security was part of the mall and my gun wasnt allowed.

T Vance

imported post

maahes wrote:
From what I was told by mall management Buddys is not part of the mall. The only gas station that they have is the shell station on the corner.
According to the map http://www.jacksoncrossing.com/files/JacksonCrossingMall.pdf
they dont list Buddys, however they also dont list Panera or Pizza Hut which I was told by mall security was part of the mall and my gun wasnt allowed.

Hmmm...I was under the assumption that Buddy's was part of their property. They also told me that BOTH theatre's (including the one across the street from the main mall), and the other shopping strip (Lowe's, Outback Steakhouse, Michael's, etc)was their property which are also across the street from the main mall.

maahes

imported post

T Vance wrote:
maahes wrote:

Hmmm...I was under the assumption that Buddy's was part of their property. They also told me that BOTH theatre's (including the one across the street from the main mall), and the other shopping strip (Lowe's, Outback Steakhouse, Michael's, etc)was their property which are also across the street from the main mall.
This is why Ive been trying to get a sit down with management. However they refuse to return my calls. And its been how many months and there is still no signs up on their property?
The security guard I talked to said they did not own the theater across the street or the bank and these are not on their map. However he did say they owned Panera and Pizza Hut but those are not on the map. And its not like the map is old as Circuit City has been removed from it and they closed well after Panera and Pizza Hut were established.

T Vance

imported post

I'll have to watch my video again and see what "they said' was theirs. Either way I'm not OCing on that property since I was told not to, which isn't a problem since I won't shop on there property anymore since they don't allow lawful carry.

Like I said, they only had 4 "Code of Conduct" signs INSIDE the mall, but have 18 seperate entrances. I was also told "they are in the process of posting more signs on their property". Have yet to see that happen.

Maybe some other people who have not been asked to leave can OC there and enter through an entrance that does not have a "Code of Conduct" sign (example: Target, Best Buy, Kohl's). This might help them speed up their decision to either put up more signs, or finally allow lawful carry.

If some of you do decide to do it, don't reply here before doing it. I guess it could be used as "evidence" that you knew about their policy. But even if you did, I'm not the owner and I could be telling a lie about their policy.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

T Vance wrote:
I'll have to watch my video again and see what "they said' was theirs. Either way I'm not OCing on that property since I was told not to, which isn't a problem since I won't shop on there property anymore since they don't allow lawful carry.

Like I said, they only had 4 "Code of Conduct" signs INSIDE the mall, but have 18 seperate entrances. I was also told "they are in the process of posting more signs on their property". Have yet to see that happen.

Maybe some other people who have not been asked to leave can OC there and enter through an entrance that does not have a "Code of Conduct" sign (example: Target, Best Buy, Kohl's). This might help them speed up their decision to either put up more signs, or finally allow lawful carry.

If some of you do decide to do it, don't reply here before doing it. I guess it could be used as "evidence" that you knew about their policy. But even if you did, I'm not the owner and I could be telling a lie about their policy.

AFAIK, all the information here is rumor and innuendo...:cool:

T Vance

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Irregardless of signs as they don't mean much in MI they would still have to ask you to leave the property before it can escalate to trespassing!
So what happens if you OC on someone's property, and their exact words are "Sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Guns are not allowed on our premises". So you leave. The next day you go to the same place OCing again, would it be considered trespassing at that point just because you are on their property again with a firearm when they told you you can't have one on the property? Or would it just be trespassing if they ask you to leave and you don't leave.

autosurgeon

imported post

I am not sure... but unless the property owner or a manager designated as in charge of that property tells you then it holds no water! The police cannot tell you the owner told them to tell you and so on. The controller of that property would have to personally tell you.

This person could be a paid security guard in the employ of the owner or a manager, however not the police or a simple employee unless that employee can demonstrate that they are in charge of the premises!

I would leave if someone asked me and then follow up in a nice way with the property owner or controller of that property.

T Vance

imported post

Well with my Target incident in Jackson, I never once personally talked with anyone but the police officers. The policetalked to the security guards, then the police told me the malls policy.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

T Vance wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Irregardless of signs as they don't mean much in MI they would still have to ask you to leave the property before it can escalate to trespassing!
So what happens if you OC on someone's property, and their exact words are "Sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave. Guns are not allowed on our premises". So you leave. The next day you go to the same place OCing again, would it be considered trespassing at that point just because you are on their property again with a firearm when they told you you can't have one on the property? Or would it just be trespassing if they ask you to leave and you don't leave.

Technically, yes, if they can prove you were told the day prior.

Generally, property owners get the police involved, and they witness a trespass order given to you. Then, if you trespass after the police witness it, you're toast.