• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

taurus ultra-lite 85

bossten1

imported post

this is a good little revolver no problems this time. accuracy not bad either for fixed sights. so light makes you want to carry it.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I had no feelings either way about taurus for many years, Specifically I did have an interest in them, but did not dislike them at the same time.

Until a friend of mine who is originally from Illinois bought his very first firearm, and he chose the taurus 7-shot revolver in .357, "He liked the grip" was his most glowing comment on it, I did not try to dissuade or persuade him to buy it.

Anyways, he gets it, we go to the range so I can get him up to speed on safe handling and shooting skills. I show him how to load it, and he was able to get 2 shots off before the cylinder jammed tight. We got it open, unloaded it, we did not see anything obviously wrong with it so we tried again. The cylinder or the frame was not machined correctly, the cylinder was so tight to the frame the case-heads jammed tight up against it. her called Taurus, they instructed him to send it back and said it may take up to 8-10 weeks to return it to him. Amazingly they got it back in 3 weeks, we loaded it with brand new unfired brass and it still jammed, absolutely nothing was done to the gun to adjust, repair, or replace it with a working model.

He sent it back again, this time it took 6 weeks, and a note came back that stated "Adjusted yoke, checked for proper operation, all ok"
It is still a little tight, with rounds loaded, the still contact the frame and the cylinder does not spin freely. So for 5 our of the 7 rounds fired, he is dealing with increased trigger weight when shooting double-action.

I have also been reading and hearing about quality issues from taurus more & more lately. Please check a firearm very well before purchase, their customer service is less than spectacular.