• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jury Duty at Kitsap Co. Courthouse

3/325

imported post

I've got jury duty coming up so I might be visiting the Kitsap Co. courthouse in Port Orchard. Is there anything I should know as an armed, law-abiding citizen?

I know that courthouses are supposed to provide a means for securing your weapon while you're taking care of business. Has anyone gone through this at the K Co courthouse? Are the LEOs up to speed on what their obligations are?

Thanks!

VonKonig

imported post

I attended a Lynnwood Citizen's Academy with my family. It was held in the courtroom above the Lynnwood Police Department. Every night (it started at 7pm), I would go straight to the Police Department window, tell the person/officer that came to the window that I needed to check a firearm. The person would go to the desk, grab a lockbox key, hand it to me and point to the lockbox location. I'd take out my weapon from concealed carry at the lockbox, put it in there, lock it back up and handed the key back to the issuing person.

Pretty straight forward procedure.

If the courtroom you go to doesn't have the same office arrangement as in Lynnwood, just ask the police officer nearest the main entrance where you check your firearm. He or she will direct you to the proper location.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Kitsap Court house has lock boxes. Just notify before going through the metal detector gate

Agent 47

imported post

I just finished two and a half weeks of jury duty at the Snohomish county superior court. Carried every day first day the deputy who opened the locker for me was cordial enough but his partner sat giving me the stink eye. Second day the deputy who had been giving me the look was the only one on duty and as I was securing my gun he said "you really need to just leave that in your car" I don't drive a car I ride a motorcycle so I told him that wasn't an option. He then said I "should just leave it at home" to witch I replied that wasn't going to happen. He said you are here on jury duty you shouldn't be bringing a loaded gun into the courthouse. I said, "Isn't that what the lockers are for" and he said "the lockers are here so that police officers and corrections officers can secure their weapons. and I asked then why does the law require the courthouse to supply lockers for civilians if that's not what these are for? At this point the court clerk came down to find out where I was and the deputy simply said have a good day sir and handed me the recipt for my gun. The next day the same deputy was again at the station and was much friendlier he said he had checked with his capitian who told him that I was right and there would be no problem with me carrying into the courthouse and using the lockers he wrote up my recipt and thanked me for my civil cervice and for the rest of my term he, and all the other deputies, were friendly and thankfull to me for being a juror. Also after the first week the other jurors who had noticed me checking my gun every day asked about carry in Washington and I was able to inform them about the open carry laws here.

maldog

imported post

That was some very interesting information.

My question if anybody knows it would be? Is every Court the same way? do they all have lock boxes?

Also, if anybody knows about Las Vegas, NV courts?

Thanks again for posting a really good info related post!

3/325

imported post

Agreed, that's definitely the kind of story I like to hear.

As for Nevada law (LV and other cities) you might want to post your question in the Nevada forum. You'll probably get better, more complete responses.