• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd at Farm & Fleet in Waukesha

M.P.Eckert

imported post

I originally was going to going to OC at Gander Mountain. This is pasted from my post at IllinoisCarry.com's forum.

"So I went to Gander Mountain unarmed just to walk around and see if there was anyone else that was carrying, which there wasn't. I was also trying to get someone in the firearms department to acknowledge me, but I think the Cubs hat scared them all off. Needless to say their prices on firearms and accessories were higher than I had expected. They did have a Barret 50 cal on display. But $29.99 for 100 rounds of Remington 9mm target loads? C'mon! I was pretty annoyed so I left.

Went to Farm & Fleet, around the corner with my fiance, holstered my XD, loaded a mag and went in. A few employees asked if we needed help, none cared that I was armed that I could tell. I heard a few calls over the PA for a manager, not sure if they were because of me. Picked up some dog supplies, checked out, had some small talk with the lady at the register. Went outside and saw 2 Waukesha squad cars with a few officers talking to some guy. I have no idea if they were there because of me. They didn't follow us or pull us over. I was nervous from when we walked in till we got on the highway.

It was uneventful as I hoped, there was no shootout, no riot, no one ducking for cover thinking there was going to be a robbery. Didn't get pulled over or questioned by anyone. Must have been coincidence that the cops showed up. It was closing time, so who knows. I could make an inquiry to the Waukesha PD and get copy of the call log or police report if there was one, not sure if it's worth it.

I'm not sure if I like the Blackhawk CQC holster or not. Using just the belt loop, the handle of the gun sticks out too far. Using the paddle, it keeps it more vertical but still sticks out a little. My biggest complaint is that the gun rocks back and forth just slightly when I walk and it feels like it's going to fall out, though there's no way it will. I may have to give the non CQC version a try or put some padding in to keep it from rocking.

A word of advice: don't go kayaking at Lake Geneva on the weekend."

GlocksRfun

imported post

Good job. It didn't turn out to good forthe lastguy from Illinois that was wearing a Bears hat. I think he's still in jail.. I used the tilt of my cqc holster to tilt it forward, it seems to keep the grip in closer. It wobbles around less when the belt is super tight.

gollbladder13

imported post

GlocksRfun wrote:
I used the tilt of my cqc holster to tilt it forward, it seems to keep the grip in closer. It wobbles around less when the belt is super tight.
I carry in Waukesha with a CQC holster, too, and love it. I agree with what GlockRfun said with tilting it forward a little bit. Definately helps, and I find makes a slightly easier draw, too, and when I've done testing with having my brother/friends trying to take it from behind me (unloaded, of course), they said it's harder for them with it tilted forward.

To the OP, glad you got a good experience in. As far as when you worded
Went to Farm & Fleet, around the corner with my fiance, holstered my XD, loaded a mag and went in
Were you carrying without one in the chamber? Just wondering. Shoulds like you holstered first, then popped the mag in. I know you can rack the slide (at least, on my G22) while holstered on the CQC, but never have actually tried to "lock and load" a secured gun.

All in all, sounds like a good day for you.

Don't think I saw... what were you carrying?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

M.P.Eckert wrote:
I'm not sure if I like the Blackhawk CQC holster or not. Using just the belt loop, the handle of the gun sticks out too far. Using the paddle, it keeps it more vertical but still sticks out a little. My biggest complaint is that the gun rocks back and forth just slightly when I walk and it feels like it's going to fall out, though there's no way it will. I may have to give the non CQC version a try or put some padding in to keep it from rocking.

A word of advice: don't go kayaking at Lake Geneva on the weekend."
Did you adjust the passive retention screw? My 1911 fit's with no wobble whatsoever and I actually had to loosen the screw to make it draw comfortably. My HK USPc was too loose, but after I adjusted the screw poroperly it doesn't move around hardly at all. Also, a wider belt will help with both applications and you can adust the CQC belt hooks to fit a smaller belt better which could help as well.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

For the cost of a Blackhawk, the addition of a proper gunbelt should not be prohibitively expensive.

I'm looking at a 1 1/2 inch two-layers of bullhide with stiffener for ~$100. The only argument against it is that the maker wants only to put five holes in it. I want it for holding up my trousers in the summer and as a gun belt over winter wear.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

My biggest complaint is that the gun rocks back and forth just slightly when I walk and it feels like it's going to fall out, though there's no way it will. I may have to give the non CQC version a try or put some padding in to keep it from rocking.
Ditto what Brass Magnet said. Adjust the passive retention screw. You can get it nice and snug.

The Blackhawk I bought for my j-frame was perfect right out of the box, didn't need adjustment. The Blackhawk I got for the g23 I had to adjust or my glock rattled around in the holster a bit.

M.P.Eckert

imported post

gollbladder13 wrote:
Were you carrying without one in the chamber? Just wondering. Shoulds like you holstered first, then popped the mag in. I know you can rack the slide (at least, on my G22) while holstered on the CQC, but never have actually tried to "lock and load" a secured gun.

All in all, sounds like a good day for you.

Don't think I saw... what were you carrying?

I did not have one in the chamber. Holstered first then put the mag in. I'll put the mag in first next time. I carried an XD 9mm with a 16 round mag half full to save some weight. I bought the law enforcement package, I think in 2006.

I tried chambering a round while in the holster when I got home. It does work, but it's pretty difficult.

M.P.Eckert

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote
Did you adjust the passive retention screw? My 1911 fit's with no wobble whatsoever and I actually had to loosen the screw to make it draw comfortably. My HK USPc was too loose, but after I adjusted the screw poroperly it doesn't move around hardly at all. Also, a wider belt will help with both applications and you can adust the CQC belt hooks to fit a smaller belt better which could help as well.

I did try adjusting the screw both ways. It's hard to adjust, the nut side spins with the screw so I have to hold it pretty tight for it not too, maybe it's defective? I'll try again later when I get home from work. I also have it tilted forward one notch.

The belt I have is probably a 1 1/4" belt. I'll pick up a wider belt for next time.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I did try adjusting the screw both ways. It's hard to adjust, the nut side spins with the screw so I have to hold it pretty tight for it not too, maybe it's defective? I'll try again later when I get home from work. I also have it tilted forward one notch.
Yeah, It doesn't take much adjustment. I just put my thumb on the nut-side to keep it from spinning and give it a couple turns.

I thought the same thing as you at first (that something was wrong) but I have purchased 3 serpa cqc's and they all were the same for adjusting.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Lose the cubbies hat, some ofus cheeseheads may see that as an act of agression.

When you shop in a Wisconsin Gander Mountain, are you asked for your FOID card? I know the one in Wilmot requires the IL FOID becuase the are right on the state line and many people that the state of IL deemed not worthy of having a 2A right were buying ammunition from that location.

Kayaking on Lake Geneva on a weekend?? That would be about as much fun as kayaking on Grass lake on a thursday evening with the boat races going on at Blarneys island. I fished a tournament on lake geneva, once! it was insanity to the 9th degree seeing ocean-worthy craft running on an inland lake

M.P.Eckert

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
Lose the cubbies hat, some ofus cheeseheads may see that as an act of agression.

When you shop in a Wisconsin Gander Mountain, are you asked for your FOID card? I know the one in Wilmot requires the IL FOID becuase the are right on the state line and many people that the state of IL deemed not worthy of having a 2A right were buying ammunition from that location.

Kayaking on Lake Geneva on a weekend?? That would be about as much fun as kayaking on Grass lake on a thursday evening with the boat races going on at Blarneys island. I fished a tournament on lake geneva, once! it was insanity to the 9th degree seeing ocean-worthy craft running on an inland lake
The only employee to say anything to me at Gander was the girl at the front door trying to get people to sign up for the Gander Mountain credit card. All the employees in the firearms section ignored me.

I realized that about the Cubs hat after buying a case of miller lite at the Pick n Save. I don't have a pick n save card and the cashier wouldn't give me the discount. I left the hat in the car after that cuz i was sick of getting dirty looks. I've been to Waukesha a bunch of times but I guess I never noticed because I wasn't considering carrying before.

Yea... no more kayaking on a lake. It was not my idea. I would have suggested a slow flowing river had I known we were going to Lake Geneva, especially on a weekend.