Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free State Project

State Researcher

Post imported post

We've got a lot of new faces here, and I haven't talked about the www.freestateproject.org for a while, so I wanted to introduce the idea to the newer members here.

I won't make this a long post by explaining what the FSP is. I figure if you're interested you'll click over and check it out.

I'll only add that I'm making my second run at moving to New Hampshire, probably no later than next spring. Hopefully things work out this time.

Until then... so long as I'm stuck in CA, I'll help fight tyranny in any way I am able.

I know some here don't like the idea of fleeing the tyranny we face and heading for greener pastures. But I'll ask nicely that this thread not be turned into a bash-fest. As I've said before, just because I'm leaving for a better place, does NOT mean I'm done fighting tyranny. Even the freest states in our nation suffer significant amounts of tyranny.

If you have specific objections to the FSP, feel free to chime in. As long as your complaint is more than: "you're a coward for running away from CA."
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Post imported post

CA_Lib,
    When I heard about the "Project" several years ago, the members were in the process of voting for what state to influence.
    I agreed and supported the project with a donation and received a tee-shirt. I'm wearing it in my driver license photo.
    I believe you have spent more than your share of time on the front lines here in California and will continue to respect you whatever battlefield you choose.

Good luck in making your move possible and thank you for your service.

Tom

Post imported post

I prefer to work to liberate California.This is the front lines (or, perhaps more precisely, behind enemy lines)in the battle for freedom.

"Mount up everybody and ride to the sound of the guns."

"There won't be a Shire, Pippin"

Post imported post

CA_lib. Good luck and I hope it works. The FSP is the ultimate fight. If it works as well as projected maybe the next state to focus on will be CA. Who knows.

Cheers
    Gregor

Post imported post

I like the idea, but no way in hell am I moving to new england.

How about we turn Salida into the free town project? (that's where my office is, so it's a good start!) It has great Taco Trucks that are Tax Free!

Banned

Post imported post

DiscoBayJoe wrote:
    I appreciate the sentiment. All my life I've lived in this terraformed desert on the sea called Sandy Eggo County. I've never experienced snow (had one fighting chance at it in my last year of high school, but the group broke due to sickness and double-booking). Right now I live in a city that is on average 10 degrees hotter than my former city of residence. As much as I hope to experience snow some day, I see myself more likely to live in the true desert, i.e., Arizona.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I hope that the FSP will succeed, and that success will encourage others to follow the same path. In time, you may find that other states in the Western US will have similar projects.

In fact, I believe Idaho was a close 2nd choice, and Nevada and Arizona were in the running, too.

If things go well in NH, I would consider moving to another state to continue the fight. I can suffer any climate the US has to offer; I'll have my liberty to keep me comfortable.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org

Don't Tread On Me.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter bigtoe416's Avatar

Post imported post

Here are the votes: http://www.freestateproject.org/arch...nCompleted.htm

New Hampshire
    Wyoming
    Montana
    Idaho

Personally I think Wyoming would have been a more strategic choice since it has the smallest population, although I hear New Hampshire politics is very community oriented.

Regular Member coolusername2007's Avatar

Post imported post

DiscoBayJoe wrote:

How about we turn Salida into the free town project? (that's where my office is, so it's a good start!) It has great Taco Trucks that are Tax Free!
    +1

I've lived the south my whole life, there's no way I could tolerate the cold. Even the winters here are rough!

I'm all for a free county project! Let's start in Riverside County!
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

State Researcher

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    I've lived the south my whole life, there's no way I could tolerate the cold. Even the winters here are rough!

I'm all for a free county project! Let's start in Riverside County!
    I was born and raised (partially) in Apache Junction, AZ. I grew up running around barefoot in the desert sand in the 120F summer sun. The rest of my life I've lived in the Central Valley, where summer days only get up to 110F.

The only exception 6 months I spent in the high mountains of norther Idaho. The first two weeks I was there the temperature never went above -10F (that's negative ten Fahrenheit) I remember it snowed the day I left town: June 16th! I remember thinking, "at least it's not hot!" In fact, the only thing I didn't like about the cold climate, was sliding my car into a fence because I had never driven on snow before in my life.

My point is that I've weathered both extremes. I think you'd be surprised how easy it is to adjust. Especially to cold climates, where all you do is add layers of clothing.

But even if it were inconvenient or uncomfortable; I'd be willing to endure it to fight for "Liberty In Our Lifetime".

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

I think it's a wonderful idea for a place to move to.

I see the FSP as being the opposite of California. Kali has traditionally influenced the country to move towards tyranny, and the FSP is doing exactly the opposite by getting people all over the country to push their local and state governments to propose and sometimes pass freedom based legislation.

Arizona is a good option for a more free state, but you don't have nearly the same level of enthusiasm for promoting freedom.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

DiscoBayJoe wrote:
    Yup. I'd never ever move east of the Mississippi, let alone to new england. Way way too many people over there, and even if New Hampshire is politically friendly, it's surrounded by unfriendly states. Wyoming would have been perfect.

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

State Researcher

Post imported post

MudCamper wrote: There are several offshoots. There's a few people that have been talking for at least a couple years about forming a "Free State Project West" which would duplicate the NH efforts in ID or NV. I don't keep up on that, so I don't know what kind of progress they're making.

Anytime you're dealing with libertarians, expect strong opinions and dissent - both good things. The end result is that there will always be some "splintering" off by the dissenters... and that happens on almost every topic.

Again, the big deal with NH over most other semi-free states is how open the government is and how low the total population is. It allows for both top-down and bottom-up strategies to be employed at the same time.

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

MudCamper wrote:
    DiscoBayJoe wrote:
    Yup. I'd never ever move east of the Mississippi, let alone to new england. Way way too many people over there, and even if New Hampshire is politically friendly, it's surrounded by unfriendly states. Wyoming would have been perfect.
    I've open carried in Maine and New Hampshire (in towns along the border). It's not as bad as all that.

I may just spend some time in New Hampshire when I'm finished with school.

That said, I still think California represents something of a "font line", and needs more freedom-minded individuals, not fewer. :?

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    MudCamper wrote:
    DiscoBayJoe wrote:
    I've open carried in Maine and New Hampshire (in towns along the border). It's not as bad as all that.

I may just spend some time in New Hampshire when I'm finished with school.

That said, I still think California represents something of a "font line", and needs more freedom-minded individuals, not fewer. :?
    Font line. Clever, I like it. While California is considered a restrictive gun law state, we face the opportunity to set a national standard. New York? Talk about 2nd ammendmentviolations ... let's bust Mr. Sullivan, who ever that idiot was. The right for citizens to arm themselves for self protection should ring thoughout this land. Screw DC and NYC - let's get Congress and thepresidentto call them stupid, and watch them back up big time!

Post imported post

MudCamper wrote: There's an idea! Vacationed in Jackson Hole once...absolutely beautiful. I could live there, maybe.
    "Why should judicial precedent bind the nation if the Constitution itself does not?" -- Mark Levin

State Researcher

Post imported post

I briefly checked out FSW and MAL (the two major shootoffs of FSP). MAL appears to have a total of 80 members, with no data on how many of them have actually relocated. FSW seems to have more members, but it doesn't look like they post their stats either.

The FSP has it's counters posted on the website. There's nearly 10,000 people who have signed the Statement of Intent (saying they plan to move). Of the 10,000, 500+ have already moved. There are also people who were NH natives that aren't counted in either of those numbers, but are very active in the movement.

The FSP is the most active and have hit some milestones. Plus, they're already getting things done on the ground with 1/20th of the total activists currently there.

I don't mean to hate on the FSW or MAL, just wanted to point out the "splinter" groups don't show nearly the progress the FSP does.

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    I briefly checked out FSW and MAL (the two major shootoffs of FSP). MAL appears to have a total of 80 members, with no data on how many of them have actually relocated. FSW seems to have more members, but it doesn't look like they post their stats either.

The FSP has it's counters posted on the website. There's nearly 10,000 people who have signed the Statement of Intent (saying they plan to move). Of the 10,000, 500+ have already moved. There are also people who were NH natives that aren't counted in either of those numbers, but are very active in the movement.

The FSP is the most active and have hit some milestones. Plus, they're already getting things done on the ground with 1/20th of the total activists currently there.

I don't mean to hate on the FSW or MAL, just wanted to point out the "splinter" groups don't show nearly the progress the FSP does.
    Seriously though, is there any sort of FSP movement here in CA? If so,maybe we should be inviting them to our UOC events. If not, maybe we should consider it. I mean really, with all the radicals in this state there has to be some leaning our direction right?

State Researcher

Post imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
    Seriously though, is there any sort of FSP movement here in CA? If so,maybe we should be inviting them to our UOC events. If not, maybe we should consider it. I mean really, with all the radicals in this state there has to be some leaning our direction right?
    Not exactly, but...

There are plenty of FSP participants and supporters still living in CA. I'm going to create a new thread on the FSP forum inviting my fellow Californian Porcupines to join our cause for the duration of their stay.

Turnabout is fair play. Cross-recruit for both efforts.

Thanks for the idea.

Don't Tread On Me.

Post imported post

I would love to be a part of the FSP but I don't know how to figure out the logistics of moving to the other end of the country. I also don't have any family east of the Mississippi. I also have a job that I can't see myself leaving unless I had a solid offer when I move. I was already laid off once during the recession. But I know I would love living in New Hampshire, especially for the climate (Snow! Seasons! Trees! OMG!). Anything is better than this hellhole of a desert that is Southern California.
    Do you want to enjoy liberty in your lifetime?

Consider moving to New Hampshire as part of the Free State Project.

"Live Free or Die"

Post imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
    coolusername2007 wrote:
    Not exactly, but...

There are plenty of FSP participants and supporters still living in CA. I'm going to create a new thread on the FSP forum inviting my fellow Californian Porcupines to join our cause for the duration of their stay.

Turnabout is fair play. Cross-recruit for both efforts.

Thanks for the idea.
    You're welcome. Working with allies and teaming up together is crucial to achieving success. Link their forum here and I will join in over there.

Post imported post

MudCamper wrote:
    Interesting. The group has already splintered.

http://www.freestatewyoming.org/

Sad, Their website seems to be stuck in 2007? No new news?

I would however love to run for Sheriff!

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    MudCamper wrote:

Sad, Their website seems to be stuck in 2007? No new news?

Sheriff? Are you serious? Which county? Do you meet the qualifications? (I don't even know what the qualifications are.)

Post imported post

cato wrote:
    MudCamper wrote:

Sad, Their website seems to be stuck in 2007?* No new news?

Win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast