• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why Go Overboard With Anger Towards Law Enforcement?

bnmyers82

imported post

Not saying everyone does this, but I have received an email from one of our forum members and he told me what he did about what I shared with yall.

Ok, I believe in educating the men and women of our law enforcement agencies. I do not believe in demanding discipline because the officers were not educated enough on open carry laws.

Can we not carry a copy of the Utah State Code in our wallets? Not the whole code, but the the one pertaining to open carrying?

If you have a negative experience with the officer, just get his name, contact the department and ask that the officer be educated on the Utah Code that contains the open carry laws.

I got an email from a but on this forum who pushed that a deputy be disciplined because I (not he) was given the wrong information. Remember my thread "What a deputy told me?" Well this guy was upset that I would not give him the deputies name. I felt I could handle it more professionally.

Upset that I would not give him the name of the deputy, he took my last name which is within my screen name and went to the sheriffs department and demanded that ever deputy that works over time at hospitals be educated about the open carry law. Furthermore he wanted the Sheriffs Office to locate all the deputies that works with anyone with my last name to be discipline.

I'm going to be contacting Sheriff Winder myself and forwarding him the copies of the private messages I got from this forum guy. I will protect this officer, I will not allow for him to be disciplined. Further more, in the messages, I have proof that the forum guy someone tried or succeeded at getting into some of my personal files whether it be at work or by some cop friend of his. I will have this investigated. If someone from my Human Resourses department openly gave the member of this forum my personal information, I will prosecute both sides.

My friends, it is one thing to fight for open carry laws. Do it the legal way. Do it in a responsible way. I'm sorry, but if I was on a board or council and you came to me screaming with anger, I would not want you to own a gun.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Wow! if even part of this turns out to be true we have a (some) wild cannon(s) in our midst.

I don't see how a non-involved 3rd party could take it upon themselves to right a wrong if the original injured party does not request it nor provide all the required details.

If you're not an injured party you don't have recourse to do the things stated above.

If you want to go out and MAKE yourself an injured party so you DO have an avenue for recourse then I guess nobody is going to stop you.

Seems to me that however well-intentioned this loose cannon is he is potentially jeopardizing a working relationship he has no business interfering with.

Do I have this about right?

bnmyers82

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
Wow! if even part of this turns out to be true we have a (some) wild cannon(s) in our midst.

I don't see how a non-involved 3rd party could take it upon themselves to right a wrong if the original injured party does not request it nor provide all the required details.

If you're not an injured party you don't have recourse to do the things stated above.

If you want to go out and MAKE yourself an injured party so you DO have an avenue for recourse then I guess nobody is going to stop you.

Seems to me that however well-intentioned this loose cannon is he is potentially jeopardizing a working relationship he has no business interfering with.

Do I have this about right?
I dunno if I'm suppose to type above or below the quoted area. So I'm gonna give this a shot. BANG haha. Ok, terrible morning humor.

Gold Coaster, you do have it somewhat right. I assure you that what I said is true. I have the private messages from the loose cannon I can post, but I was trying to be casual about the whole thing.

I guess be careful with the information you share on this website. This guy read my statement and went to battle against it, even when I wouldn't give him names or information.

And how he got into my personal information is beyond me. But I've worked in healthcare all my life and if there is one thing I know, its privacy laws. I will prosecute both sides for handing out my personal information if I find out this was done. I don't care if its a cop or member of my Human Resources dept, breaking privacy law is a federal offense. He even went as far as saying watch my speeding tickets.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

bnmyers82 wrote:
And how he got into my personal information is beyond me. But I've worked in healthcare all my life and if there is one thing I know, its privacy laws. I will prosecute both sides for handing out my personal information if I find out this was done. I don't care if its a cop or member of my Human Resources dept, breaking privacy law is a federal offense. He even went as far as saying watch my speeding tickets.

I am not sure what info this person has of yours, but in less than 10 posts, you have given anyone who reads this site the following, perhaps more...

• Your full name.
  • Your age.
  • Your birthdate.
  • The city you live in.
  • Where you work.
  • The shift you work.
I am not saying that whatever info this person discovered about you is justified, but in a very short time you have managed to post quite a bit of your own background.

...and to answer chillidogs question thatmust beburning in his/her mind... No, it wasn't me.

bnmyers82

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
bnmyers82 wrote:

I am not sure what info this person has of yours, but in less than 10 posts, you have given anyone who reads this site the following, perhaps more...
  • Your full name.
  • Your age.
  • Your birthdate.
  • The city you live in.
  • Where you work.
  • The shift you work.
I am not saying that whatever info this person discovered about you is justified, but in a very short time you have managed to post quite a bit of your own background.

...and to answer chillidogs question thatmust beburning in his/her mind... No, it wasn't me.
I never gave out my birthdate. You can assume the number on the back of my screen name is my birth year. It could of been my football number or my baseball number. You never know. I never told what hospital I work at. He said he obtained information that I would not give him. He demanded to know what hospital I worked at and the officers name that I had got the information from. He then told me things about my driving record. So two things might of happened. He might of called around hospitals looking for someone with my first name and job desrciption.

My whole point is, he went overboard. He had no business going to the Sheriff about and incident I had with an officer. Personaly, if he did do what he said he did, I hope the Sheriff thinks of him poorly, because he makes us all look bad.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bnmyers82 wrote:
SGT Jensen wrote:
bnmyers82 wrote:

• Your full name.
  • Your age.
  • Your birthdate.
  • The city you live in.
  • Where you work.
  • The shift you work.

I never gave out my birthdate. You can assume the number on the back of my screen name is my birth year. It could of been my football number or my baseball number. You never know. I never told what hospital I work at. He said he obtained information that I would not give him. He demanded to know what hospital I worked at and the officers name that I had got the information from. He then told me things about my driving record. So two things might of happened. He might of called around hospitals looking for someone with my first name and job desrciption.

My whole point is, he went overboard. He had no business going to the Sheriff about and incident I had with an officer. Personaly, if he did do what he said he did, I hope the Sheriff thinks of him poorly, because he makes us all look bad.
Your posted your birthday in your profile. And gave your age in your first post.

bnmyers82 wrote:
"Hello, I'm Brandon, 26 and live in West Jordan, UT. I work nights at a hospital and at night we employ deputies as our security...
"User Profile bnmyers82
E-mail:private
Homepage:
YM:bnmyers82
MSNM:
Birthday:1982-12-09
Communications Interests:

chillidogs

imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
bnmyers82 wrote:

• Your full name.
  • Your age.
  • Your birthdate.
  • The city you live in.
  • Where you work.
  • The shift you work.

I thougth this issue was with a Deputy or Officer of some sort. So sorry, you never crossed my mind.

bnmyers82

imported post

Oh well, you know my birthday now. Send me birthday wishes on the 9th of December.

My argument is he took a story I posted and went with it. That wasn't his business.

To go to the sheriffs department and say this guy said on the internet that one of your deputies told him he couldn't carry his firearm on his side visibly. Thats just retarded.

Its one thing about reporting a crime that you read on a forum, but to do what he did is crazy.

How and why did he obtain information about my driving record?

chillidogs

imported post

bnmyers82 wrote:
Oh well, you know my birthday now. Send me birthday wishes on the 9th of December.

My argument is he took a story I posted and went with it. That wasn't his business.

To go to the sheriffs department and say this guy said on the internet that one of your deputies told him he couldn't carry his firearm on his side visibly. Thats just retarded.

Its one thing about reporting a crime that you read on a forum, but to do what he did is crazy.

I agree that it is non of his business.

As I understand things there is not a crime if there is no victim or complainant. And to go to the sherrif with third party information is simply hearsay.

bnmyers82

imported post

chillidogs wrote:
bnmyers82 wrote:

As I understand things there is not a crime if there is no victim or complainant. And to go to the sherrif with third party information is simply hearsay.
Thank you chillidogs. You seem to actually be using your head to think about what I'm saying. I love being one sided sometimes, but sometimes ya gotta come out of that thinking and realize what you're actually thinking. Seriously, I hope the sheriff thought this guy was a nutcase for bringing him hearsay.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bnmyers82 wrote:
chillidogs wrote:
bnmyers82 wrote:

Thank you chillidogs. You seem to actually be using your head to think about what I'm saying. I love being one sided sometimes, but sometimes ya gotta come out of that thinking and realize what you're actually thinking. Seriously, I hope the sheriff thought this guy was a nutcase for bringing him hearsay.
You posted a story on a very public forum. What people do with info they read online is their own business. Something like what happened to you can affect all of us who choose to open carry. Not fixing this issue can lead to problems for more of us down the road. I don't see any issue with him trying to track down the Deputy and have him retrained.

bnmyers82

imported post

chillidogs wrote:
I thougth this issue was with a Deputy or Officer of some sort. So sorry, you never crossed my mind.
Todays post is about a member of our forum. A while ago I posted a story about a conversation I had with a deputy. The member of this forum took what I said and went to the Sheriff about it. Total hearsay.

bnmyers82

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
"You posted a story on a very public forum. What people do with info they read online is their own business. Something like what happened to you can affect all of us who choose to open carry. Not fixing this issue can lead to problems for more of us down the road. I don't see any issue with him trying to track down the Deputy and have him retrained.
Retrained/Educated yes. Disciplined NO. The deputy that I talked to does not deserve discipline. It was only a conversation and I was not carrying at the time. It would be different if he violated my rights. But he didn't, he simply gave me information that was not 100% the law. No discipline needed.

chillidogs

imported post

bnmyers82 wrote:
chillidogs wrote:
Todays post is about a member of our forum. A while ago I posted a story about a conversation I had with a deputy. The member of this forum took what I said and went to the Sheriff about it. Total hearsay.
Well I dont know who it was. Pehaps you have more dignity than others here do have. Some would post the PM and expose this person. It was suggested that perhaps this person had an officer friend that may have shared information. I guess that is where I started thinking about a cop of some sort.

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bnmyers82 wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
"You posted a story on a very public forum. What people do with info they read online is their own business. Something like what happened to you can affect all of us who choose to open carry. Not fixing this issue can lead to problems for more of us down the road. I don't see any issue with him trying to track down the Deputy and have him retrained.
Retrained/Educated yes. Disciplined NO. The deputy that I talked to does not deserve discipline. It was only a conversation and I was not carrying at the time. It would be different if he violated my rights. But he didn't, he simply gave me information that was not 100% the law. No discipline needed.
I agree, however if the deputy is disciplined for his opinion, your issue should be with the department, not with the one who requests the discipline.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

chillidogs wrote:
So sorry, you never crossed my mind.
If you insist. :?

bnmyers82wrote:

Brandon, I just want you to know that I am on your side here. I think it is B.S. that somebody chose to take your story and try to fix something that was none of his/her business.

chillidogs

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
bnmyers82 wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
I agree, however if the deputy is disciplined for his opinion, your issue should be with the department, not with the one who requests the discipline.

I think that venting is a good form of stress releif. I dont think it is anyone elses duty or place to take venting further than the victim/ complanantdoes themselves.

So I suppose I disagree with you here jared.

bnmyers82

imported post

chillidogs wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
bnmyers82 wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:

I think that venting is a good form of stress releif. I dont think it is anyone elses duty or place to take venting further than the victim/ complanantdoes themselves.

So I suppose I disagree with you here jared.
I disagree with Jared too. My post should have never been taken to the Sheriffs Department. Therefore, yes I do have a problem with the forum guy who took my posts to the Sheriff.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

bnmyers82 wrote:
I disagree with Jared too. My post should have never been taken to the Sheriffs Department. Therefore, yes I do have a problem with the forum guy who took my posts to the Sheriff.
I will agree that it is nobody's place to go making formal complaints based on semi-anonymous internet postings.

That said, good lesson for all here to heed. Once you post something to a semi-anonymous, publicly accessible forum you really have zero control over it or what anyone does with it. Something to bear in mind in the future.

Charles