• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holsters

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Hello Virginia,

I have OC'd in Wisconsin for the past 20 years. The old holster is getting worn and I thought your states forum would be the one to ask since Virginia has enjoyed open carry for a long time now.
Any suggestions on holsters? Pros and Cons?

Right now I still use my Uncle Mikes for my 9mm and I have a Biatchi for my 40cal.
They have been very good in quality, strength and wear. But I know there are a few new ones out there now days.

wylde007

imported post

If you're looking strictly for utility then a Fobus or a Blackhawk SERPA (my favorite) are popular and somewhat customizable for location and draw/cant.

I see an awful lot of SERPAs anymore. They're durable and they offer good retention which, at least in my opinion, is of greater consequence when your sidearm is out in the open.

I like www.opticsplanet.com

TexasNative

imported post

I agree with wylde that the Blackhawk Serpa CQC is an excellent line of holsters. I bought one a few years ago when I was looking to get my first paddle holster. Not only do the Serpas have an outstanding retention system for all their models, but the paddle itself latches onto your trousers like glue. Ain't nobody gettin' that holster off of me!

Check 'em out.

~ Boyd

Glock_21Carrier

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
I agree with wylde that the Blackhawk Serpa CQC is an excellent line of holsters. I bought one a few years ago when I was looking to get my first paddle holster. Not only do the Serpas have an outstanding retention system for all their models, but the paddle itself latches onto your trousers like glue. Ain't nobody gettin' that holster off of me!

Check 'em out.

~ Boyd
I have trouble getting mine off myself, let alone without havin to drop my pants entirely. Great holster, reliable, functional, and priced well.

Glocky

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

I use both the Fobus and the Blackhawk. Most of the time I wear theFobus as I find it easier to conceal (if I see the need),hasa decent amountof retention through the pressure, and is quite comfortable. You have to get used to the force needed to draw it at the proper angle, but once practiced, it is easy to draw. When OCing in a crowded setting, I use the Blackhawk for the additional thumb lock retention.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I called Blackhawk, they do not make a serpa that fits my 40 cal 410S. They do have a serpa sportster that will fit my 9mm 6906 but there will be 3/4 empty. I don't know if I like that or not.

Bundabar

imported post

I opencarry my G22 in a Blackhawk SERPA and love it. Easy access, easy release, and the holster stays put.Since theBlackhawk doesn't cover the entirepistol the Crimson Trace sites fit too! I carry my G27 (concealed) in a Galco holster that I also love, it fits in the small of my back and conceals a thick Glock pistol very well. Both are comfortable and good quality but asGlocky said, about the only way to get the Blackhawk off is to drop your trousers.

-Bund

Marco

imported post

If you need/want something with retention.
The 3/4" extra on the serpaholster shouldn't make a difference, especially for something worn OWB.

Other options:
Safariland ALS
Bianchi Carrylock
Or a traditional thumb break.

http://www.gunnersalley.com/results.cgis?catalog=OPTIONS&keywords=410

I personally am not a fan of (any) security holsters.
Remember the lock is only meant to keep the honest man honest.

http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/browse.do?action=refresh_browse&ctg_id=3265

pix406017000.jpg

I have two holsters similar to the one pictured for saleon GB, both for S&W auto's.

zoom6zoom

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I called Blackhawk, they do not make a serpa that fits my 40 cal 410S. They do have a serpa sportster that will fit my 9mm 6906 but there will be 3/4 empty. I don't know if I like that or not.
Sounds like a good enough reason to buy a new pistol....

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

zoom6zoom wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Sounds like a good enough reason to buy a new pistol....
HaHa, my thoughts exactly.
Isn't that how it should be though? Buy a holster and then buy a hand gun to fit!

On a serious note I did see a video on youtube as to why you should not buy a kydex holster.
I also heard that the serpas leave wear marks on the fire arm. Not sure if either of these are really frequent issues or not but once either happens it is to late the damage is done.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
The 3/4" extra on the serpaholster shouldn't make a difference, especially for something worn OWB.

Other options:
Safariland ALS
Bianchi Carrylock

http://www.desantisholster.com/storefrontB2CWEB/browse.do?action=refresh_browse&ctg_id=3265

pix406017000.jpg

I have two holsters similar to the one pictured for saleon GB, both for S&W auto's.
I have an Uncle Mikes that looks just like this for my 9mm.
The Bianchi I have I use for my 40 cal. Both have the thumb break and I like them a lot. I am very efficient with both. I have had them both for years and was just considering something new.

Marco

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I did see a video on youtube as to why you should not buy a kydex holster.
I also heard that the serpas leave wear marks on the fire arm.
That was an older Fobus designed paddle,iirc it has been addressed by the company.

Almost all holsters will cause wear makes, if you draw from it enough.

ETA:
I know many that are efficient with security holsters, that doesn't mean they like using them.
I was forced to use one for yrs.
Best of luck with your search.

rob99vmi04

imported post

Agent19 wrote:

Other options:
Safariland ALS
Bianchi Carrylock

pix406017000.jpg

I normally CC with a VM-II from Sparks,butYESI do OC sometimes . I'm with Agent on this I have about 4 Serpa's; however once I found the Saifairland ALS my SERPA's are really not being used.Never triedthe Bianchi carry lock, but if its the oneI'm thinking off with the lever in the back, try the Saifariland. Theyare VERY well constructed, and if you get them from LA police gear there sometimes cheaper then the Serpas.

leprechaun117

imported post

I have a Bianci CarryLoc, love it. It holds the gun up and in like it should, not down and out like a Serpa, you can easly conceal with just a t shirt. The button isn't nealy as obvious, in case someone does go for your gun, and is in a more natural location, IMHO. I also much prefer the look of leather to kydex, especially with a 1911 :) I have way too many holsters and the CarryLoc is definitely the second most comfortable (behind the MTac)

Xader

imported post

+1 for the Safariland with ALS

Equal retention to the Serpa, minus the NDs from improper Serpa use.

I use the 6378, a very secure paddle. I've asked several people to try to disarm me (unloaded, of course) and not one has been able to succeed. Not the case with the Serpa. The latch is visible and easy to hit.

With ALS, the lever is concealed by the gun's grip, but the thumb falls right on it with a proper draw.

Just my .02

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I will add another +1 for the Safariland ALS 6378 holster. I have carried for years with my favorite Galco leather Belt loop holsters. Love them. But no retention on those so I've had my eye out for a good retention holster.

Not many to be found for my compact .45's. As well, I didn't like the way the plastic holsters sat away from my belt, keeping me from comfortably resting my arm at my side. I found this with the Kimber plastic holster and the Serpa holster.

I acquired the Safariland 6378 holster for the full sized 1911 since they don't make any for compacts. I carefully measured 1 1/4 inches from the bottom, leaving 1/4 inch from the barrel block and 3/4 inch from the bottom end of the locking mechanism and used my fine toothed blade on my band saw, cutting the bottom of the holster off.

Amazing. Fits the Compact perfectly, suede lined and the locking mechanism is awesome. Paddle is near impossible to get on or off and sits nice and tight to my side. Very comfortable!

If you were only going to use it for OC, then no need to resize it. But I do CC as well and didn't want the extra length sticking down.

Cheers,
Bill

M

McX

imported post

My hip holster looks like agent19's. It's ok, But I wish it rode higher. Guys on here have helped me on getting something else. Dumb questions; But I figure I won't get laughed at, since I'm amongst friends.....right? Anyway, what's this level one, two, and three thing with holsters?