• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Kitty Hawk and Kill Devil Beaches

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

I'll be traveling to these beaches soon and I'm wondering if Kitty Hawk's public beaches areconsidered state parks. Also, if I have a valid CHP in VA can I conceal it in the trunk loaded at these beaches or in NC? I know if it's in the cabin I must have it in plain sight, but I haven't seen any post on this matter. Can I leave it in my trunk loaded when I go out? I'll probably be OC'ing most of the time, however when I visit my sisters house she'll ask me to leave it in the car. I read some pdf. file prepared by your State Attorney which seemed a little vague andanti-gun.It wasn't made clear as to whether I can lockit away in the car loaded. Also, I read a post where a HP officerdisarmed a citizen,who was OC'ing, while preforming an accident investigation. Is this common? Thank's for any info that can be provided on this matter.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

WOW! 49 view's without a reply. Thanks for the advice. I'll fend for myself, as I always do, that's why I carry. I hopeto see someone OC'ing so I can give them a piece of my mind. Or is that against your tyrannical laws, the one which involves causing fear in public. Before you rush to judgement, Yes, CHP's are a form of gun registration, and yes, the fact that a copcan physically disarm you during a traffic accident is also a violation of your Constitutional rights (in my opinion).

xdfan

imported post

It's been more than a year since I was last there, so don't take just my word for this...

. I do not recall seeing "no firearms" signs on the rules sign at any of the beach entrances. Could be mistaken, but that's what I remember!

. There are a couple state parks in that area: Jockey's Ridge (the big sand dune - take a kite!) and the Wright Bros. Memorial. No carry there AFAIK as per state law.

. The Cape Hatteras National Seashore starts south of hwy. 264. After researching this pre-trip I made a mental note when heading towards Hatteras to leave the gun at home or locked up. North of there you're good.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Sorry about the delayed response. There is reciprocity between our states, so you may conceal your weapon in the same fashion you would in VA (except in restaurants that serve alcohol. No carry at all, as opposed to VA). No national parks at this time, you may keep a firearm open or concealed (you have a permit) loaded or unloaded. Our state law makes no distinction. We have no castle doctrine, so make sure if you use it while you're down here you can prove your life was in mortal danger. Anything I missed?

edit: forgot to mention... tell your sister there is a better chance of someone breaking into your car and stealing your firearm and using it to commit a crime if you leave it outside. There is also a better chance that you could use to defend your familyshould said burglar break into her house while you are there if it is on or about your person.

chiefjason

imported post

Placementvs.Calibur wrote:
I'll be traveling to these beaches soon and I'm wondering if Kitty Hawk's public beaches areconsidered state parks. Also, if I have a valid CHP in VA can I conceal it in the trunk loaded at these beaches or in NC? I know if it's in the cabin I must have it in plain sight, but I haven't seen any post on this matter. Can I leave it in my trunk loaded when I go out? I'll probably be OC'ing most of the time, however when I visit my sisters house she'll ask me to leave it in the car. I read some pdf. file prepared by your State Attorney which seemed a little vague andanti-gun.It wasn't made clear as to whether I can lockit away in the car loaded. Also, I read a post where a HP officerdisarmed a citizen,who was OC'ing, while preforming an accident investigation. Is this common? Thank's for any info that can be provided on this matter.

We're only partially tyranical and anti gun. :lol: You can keep it loaded if you choose to lock it in the car. Even in situations where you cannot carry the firearm you can generally leave it locked in the car. Personally, if I were going to a State Park or Nat Seashore I would unload and lock it in the trunk. State and National Parks are the only situation I could see where you would be required to unload if you lock it in your car. Any other non carry situations you can leave it loaded. By cabin I am assuming you mean car. With the CHP you can do whatever you want with it in the car.

I think I was the OP on the post you are reffering to. I was told by the NCHP Seargent that it was SOP to disarm during the duration of the investigation. I can't speak to how common it would be, it was the first time for me. However, I got zero questions or grief from the officer. The numbers were not run on the gun and it was locked in my vehicle for the duration. I understand his concern and my rights and did not feel that it went too far. I was being detained for the accident report so the rules do change a bit for detention as opposed to a Terry Stop, or pat down. As always some LEO are more understanding of our rights than others.

I would not worry about the Going armed to the terror of the public, unless you take a fit of waving your gun around screaming. A holstered firearm is not brandished.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

Please excuse my tantrum. Thanks for your responses. I am known, in my circle, as to be the onewho rattles the bush. As I am doing now regarding the socialization of our government. I wasn't seeking legal counsel, just a little friendly advice. Which I got, Thanks again.

thompsongunner06

imported post

If you have a firearm in the LOCKED glovebox or trunk it is not concelled. As a former LEO,, if the car key has to be used to unlock or it is in trunk it is not easelly acessable to harm an officer. Now if you place it under your seat then it that is a problem. The beach is very safe here,,,not much violent crime,,,Just lock your car/house. I would not see a need to CC/OC on the beach. Most officers here are OK.