• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NY GIants Plaxico Burress-what do you guys think about this

Bustelo5%

imported post

http://www.ap.org] [/url] AP–Former New York GGiants wide receiver Plaxico Burress exits Manhattan criminal court with his attorney… By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer Karen Matthews, Associated Press Writer – 1hr1minago NEW YORK – Former New York Giants star Plaxico Burress was indicted by a grand jury on weapons charges for shooting himself in the thigh at a Manhattan nightclub and faces a minimum prison sentence of 3 1/2 years if convicted, prosecutors announced Monday.
The indictment charged the 31-year-old Burress with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and one count of reckless endangerment, Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morgenthau said.
"The grand jury applied the law to the facts of this case," Morgenthau said. He said the accidental shooting at the Latin Quarter nightclub on Nov. 29 was treated "like any similar case against any other defendant."
Burress' lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, said he was disappointed but not surprised by the indictment, which came after Burress testified before the grand jury and expressed remorse.
"When you have the mayor and the district attorney both publicly demanding a maximum prison sentence, it was perhaps too much to hope for the grand jury to conduct a sympathetic review of the unique facts of this sad case," Brafman said in a statement.
Burress' former teammate Antonio Pierce, who was with Burress in the club and drove him to the hospital, was not indicted.
The panel also did not indict the nightclub security guard who carried the gun to Pierce's car or the hospital staff members who failed to notify police that Burress had been shot.
Morgenthau said hospital personnel were guilty of "a screw-up rather than a cover-up" and the security guard exhibited "bad judgment in the first degree" but did not commit a crime.
Pierce, who also testified before the grand jury last week, was practicing with the Giants in Albany when he learned of the panel's decision.
Giants President John Mara said the team was pleased that the linebacker was not indicted.
"We said last week we felt strongly that Antonio's actions did not warrant criminal charges, and obviously the grand jury, having heard all of the testimony, felt the same way," he said.
Pierce's lawyer, Michael Bachner, said, "By appearing before the grand jury for almost three hours and answering the grand jury's very direct and very considered questions, it was clear to us that they understood that Mr. Pierce acted as any citizen under extraordinary circumstances would have acted."
Burress was at the Latin Quarter nightclub Nov. 29 when a gun tucked into his waistband slipped down his leg and fired, shooting him in the right thigh.
Prosecutors said Monday that after taking Burress to the hospital, Pierce drove the gun to his own home in New Jersey — not to Burress' home, as was originally reported. They said he later arranged for it to be taken to Burress' home.
Assistant District Attorney John Wolfstaetter said the bullet that hit Burress narrowly missed a nightclub security guard who was standing inches away.
The bullet lodged in the floor and was recovered by a bartender, Morgenthau said.
"He wanted it as a souvenir but we told him he had to turn it over," he said.
The gun was not licensed in New York or in New Jersey, where Burress lived, prosecutors said. Burress' license to carry a concealed weapon in the state of Florida had expired in May 2008.
The charges Burress was indicted on carry a mandatory minimum sentence of 3 1/2 years in prison. He pleaded not guilty to weapons charges earlier this year and is free on $100,000 bail.
The grand jury indictment comes after plea bargain negotiations broke down, apparently because Morgenthau was insisting that Burress serve at least two years in prison under any plea agreement.
Assistant District Attorney Mark Dwyer said it is standard policy to request a two-year sentence as part of a plea bargain on such serious charges.
Burress, who caught the winning touchdown for the Giants over the New England Patriots in the final minute of the 2008 Super Bowl, also could face disciplinary action by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. Goodell's office announced in June that the league already had started its examination of the shooting, and NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Monday's indictment "will be considered as part of that review."
The Giants released Burress in April and he has yet to sign with another team.
___
AP Sports Writer Tom Canavan in Albany, N.Y., contributed to this report.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For some reason, the word "stupid" keeps coming to mind.

Stupid that New York has such inane laws.
Stupid that Plaxico Burress can't keep his concealed carry permit up-to-date.
Stupid that Plaxico, or anyone else, has to HAVE a CC permit.
Stupid that the DA wants two years jail time.
Stupid that Plaxico can't handle a weapon properly.
Stupid that a man making MILLIONS of dollars doesn't use a holster.

Everything about this story just reeks of stupidity.

Edit: Corrected spelling of "Plaxico".

TheMrMitch

imported post

He'll get out of it.....(I TOTALLY disagree with the laws)....but.....he'll walk.

Look at Vick......though he served time (HEE HAW). he was welcomed back to the football league or whatever he did.:cuss:

Bustelo5%

imported post

First off I was trying to get some good thoughts on this since I know NY is so ****** up that a BAWLA cant carry a weapon to defend himself,or the 18 year old 92 pound student cannot carry a handgun in so called free country.
In any case I got my uncle mikes side kick holster for 26 dollas and mr plaxico makes that in 2 minutes playn b ball as a BAWLLLLAA lol.
Sounds like he should take his millions and flea the country for hurting himself and go to China and live in the mountians with hot Chinese ladies outlandish maybe,making 26 dollas a minute priclesss

PT111

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
For some reason, the word "stupid" keeps coming to mind.

Stupid that New York has such inane laws.
Stupid that Plexico Buress can't keep his concealed carry permit up-to-date.
Stupid that Plexico, or anyone else, has to HAVE a CC permit.
Stupid that the DA wants two years jail time.
Stupid that Plexico can't handle a weapon properly.
Stupid that a man making MILLIONS of dollars doesn't use a holster.

Everything about this story just reeks of stupidity.

I aagree and think you left out a bunch of stupids on the list. Theree are a pile of stupic laws but the problem is that they are laws and until they get changed we have to either obey them or be willing to go the route of getting them changed or pay the price.

In Plaxico's case not only did he break laws but also the rules of safe gun handling. This was a CF from the start. Ignorance is when you don't know any better and stupidity is when you know betterbut do it anyway. Since he did have a FL CWP at one time we can assume that either he was informed of the safety rules or his instructor should be locked up along with him for failure to train properly. As you say the whole thing reeks of stupidity from start ro finish. Ignorance should not be a crime but maybe stupidity should be and a pile of people acted stupidly in this case. Even the bouncers knew he had a gun but allowed him to keep it.

Phoenixphire

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bustelo5% wrote:
First off I was trying to get some good thoughts on this since I know NY is so @#$%ed up that a BAWLA cant carry a weapon to defend himself,or the 18 year old 92 pound student cannot carry a handgun in so called free country.
In any case I got my uncle mikes side kick holster for 26 dollas and mr plaxico makes that in 2 minutes playn b ball as a BAWLLLLAA lol.
Sounds like he should take his millions and flea the country for hurting himself and go to China and live in the mountians with hot Chinese ladies outlandish maybe,making 26 dollas a minute priclesss
Seriously?

"Bawla"?

Also, Plaxico Burress played for the New York Giants. The Giants are a FOOTBALL team, not a "b ball" team.

Next, it is "dollars", "playing", "flee", "mountains", and "priceless".

Feel free to post however you want, but if you would like people to respect your points (and understand them), you should consider attempting to spell words properly.

Also, refraining from abstract references to Chinese mountain living with the hot ladies helps your credibility.

Just some thoughts to help make your stay here at OpenCarry.org a bit more enjoyable!

Have a nice day!

Bustelo5%

imported post

Yes you are right in that obsence usage to humor as opposed to using racial references in some guy who makes millions of dollers and cannot buy a holster so he can safley carry the gun.
Somehow I think there is more to this story than what is told by the media it just seems very odd.
Ok go on you tube and watch the SNL video of like a boss and you will get the joke and my obsence usage of hood jokes about dealing drugs.