• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone need a Serpa for a 1911

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I;ll be getting of this plastic wonder in a couple of weeks.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
What ya getting to replace it?

:celebrate
It's been a long day Curtis.
I talked to a couple dozen custom makers including Simply Rugged (Thanks) and I have no idea why they call themselves custom. It's their way or the highway...I never looked back.

Then I was at Greentops, in a bad mood anyway and telling the salesman NOT to try to sell my wife Mattel guns and why in hell they didn't carry any usable holsters, when one of the customers told me to call Larry at New Kent Leather.

I did and went to see him. Nice fellow and a super holster maker. We talked about an hour and a half, designed what I wanted and it will be ready in 2 weeks.:D:D:D:D:D

curtiswr

imported post

Nice.. except for the Mattel guns comment. :lol:

That's a shame about Simply Rugged, though. I am still on the fence about ordering from them since apparently they make a nice holster but I really don't like how it looks in that it looks like a gigantic blob. I'm thinking I might just go with a Galco instead.

Lookin' forward to seeing what you're getting from New Kent Leather; maybe I'll get something from them.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Nice.. except for the Mattel guns comment. :lol:

That's a shame about Simply Rugged, though. I am still on the fence about ordering from them since apparently they make a nice holster but I really don't like how it looks in that it looks like a gigantic blob. I'm thinking I might just go with a Galco instead.

Lookin' forward to seeing what you're getting from New Kent Leather; maybe I'll get something from them.
Sorry:lol:

Give this fellow a call. He has a shop full of holsters to look at and the quality is good.
He's better priced than Simply Rugged too.
http://newkentleather.com/

I think SR is making them up in advance and just stitching them together per order. You don't even have a choice in colors. Oxblood is it!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
If Kydex interests you, Rocketman Holster Works is tops in my book.
Thanks anyway Proshooter. I want leather. I have a Kydex vacume press that I used to make knife sheaths with and I've made a few holsters with it. They just don't stack up to leather.

I don't mind nylon but haven't found any nylon holsters to suit the 1911. I will not carry without a retention strap and all seem made for carrying with the hammer down. Bianca makes a fair nylon holster but when the strap is adhusted far enough to clear the hammer, it is only held by a small patch of velcro.

Skeptic

Founder's Club Member
imported post

peter nap wrote:
curtiswr wrote:
What ya getting to replace it?

:celebrate
It's been a long day Curtis.
I talked to a couple dozen custom makers including Simply Rugged (Thanks) and I have no idea why they call themselves custom. It's their way or the highway...I never looked back.

Then I was at Greentops, in a bad mood anyway and telling the salesman NOT to try to sell my wife Mattel guns and why in hell they didn't carry any usable holsters, when one of the customers told me to call Larry at New Kent Leather.

I did and went to see him. Nice fellow and a super holster maker. We talked about an hour and a half, designed what I wanted and it will be ready in 2 weeks.:D:D:D:D:D
Interesting. Yes I have noticed often that Greentop's selection of holsters is very very poor.

curtiswr

imported post

Will check them out when I have time. So long as they can make me something that covers the trigger guard I think I'll buy from them.

Look forward to seeing your's if I don't make it by his shop to check them out by then.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Will check them out when I have time. So long as they can make me something that covers the trigger guard I think I'll buy from them.

Look forward to seeing your's if I don't make it by his shop to check them out by then.
It's been a good day for small business. I found a fellow in California who makes sizing dies for 23.00 delivered. I got the first one today and it is dead on at .460.

Got the custom bullet mold for my 444/45 and they are near perfect.

American small business ain't dead yet.

curtiswr

imported post

peter nap wrote:
curtiswr wrote:

It's been a good day for small business. I found a fellow in California who makes sizing dies for 23.00 delivered. I got the first one today and it is dead on at .460.

And that is another reason why I am eager to check him out and buy from him.

Supporting small business = :cool:
Supporting small, local business = :cool::cool:

essayons

imported post

peter nap wrote:
curtiswr wrote:

Link?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

essayons wrote:
peter nap wrote:
curtiswr wrote:

Link?
Neither have a website. I can email you addresses if you like. Which do you want?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
snip.....I have a Kydex vacume press that I used to make knife sheaths with and I've made a few holsters with it.
We must talk of this. :cool:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
snip.....I have a Kydex vacume press that I used to make knife sheaths with and I've made a few holsters with it.

Yata hey
Double tap's gonna have your head if you start heating Kydex in the oven:lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:

Yata hey
Double tap's gonna have your head if you start heating Kydex in the oven:lol:
Sssssh.........not so loud. :uhoh:

Yata hey