• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling to WI

rocknsnow

imported post

I will be traveling to Milwaukee in September and was wondering on open and concealed carry there. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

rocknsnow wrote:
I will be traveling to Milwaukee in September and was wondering on open and concealed carry there. Any help would be great. Thanks.
On the main page of OCDO, there is a colorful map that will show you all the intracacies of carrying a firearm in WI or any other state you may visit.

WI offers Zero ability to carry concealed, school zones have a 1,000' exclusion zone, and any government building is also off-limits as is anyplace that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Open-carry has only recently been recognized by our govt,as legal practicein this state, (even though it always has been) and many law enforcement agencies still do not believe it is legal. So expect police contact and harrassment. Especially in and around Milwaukee.

There is also many places such as city and county parks that still have bogus stautes prohibiting firearms, and it currently seems that we can only challenge the illegality of those lawsby being charged with breaking them. Not many peoplethat I know can afford that legal battle in this economy. It could mean confiscation of a firearm, nearly $1,000 in fines, attorney fee's and a chance your firearm will be destroyed or "Lost in the evidence room"

research, and keep an eye open. be safe!

Athena

imported post

There's a lot of legal mumbo jumbo to go through, and Milwaukee is one of, if not the most touchy areas in the state with Ed Flynn in charge of the PD there.

Here's a quote from Flynn:
"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it," Flynn said. "Maybe I'll end up with a protest of cowboys. In the meantime, I've got serious offenders with access to handguns. It's irresponsible to send a message to them that if they just carry it openly no one can bother them."

No CC at all. Nine, nada, zilch. No carrying in a government building. There is no carrying within 1000 feet of a school except on private property. Here's a thread with a working map of the Milwaukee school zones (not including private property): http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/26377.html

OC is legal, no permit required, just make sure it doesn't accidentally get concealed by a jacket or anything.

In your car your firearm must be unloaded and encased and placed in your trunk. There's no glove box carry and no on your body while in car carry.

If you are going to carry I would recommend keeping a copy or two of Van Hollen's memorandum. Here's the link: http://www.doj.state.wi.us/news/files/FinalOpenCarryMemo.pdf

Here's a thread on the specifics of carry laws in WI: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/27414.html

Be sure to obey the property rights of others if they request that you leave if you are OCing. You can politely let a business owner own that their stance on OC has caused them to lose your patronage, but do leave if they want you to or you can be arrested for trespassing.

Open carry isn't all that common, especially in Milwaukee, so don't be surprised by getting hassled, weird looks, etc. Also, having a good lawyer is always a good idea if you're going to OC in that area.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Well welcome 2 Wisconsin BTW...just beware of the unconstitutional 1000ft school zone ban, & the no open carry in a car ban...IMHO, come back in 2 years and I hope we should have some acceptable gun laws by then...carry on!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Now hold on, I've lived here a good long time, and I don't think the state sucks at all, just the taxes and the government. Both are curable, it's called voting.

Other than the five(5) places, feel free to OC almost anywhere.

JG

imported post

We are going to visit Kenosha in early Oct. By what I learned on this site I well probably OC in some places. ( because I am afraid) I might even let my wife OC also. The only thing I well only give her one bullet and that she well have to carry in her pocket.:DBoy, I hope we dont get questioned by some local cop. I can just see her now.... "How dare you question me , my son was on the SBI, you got no business questioning me." :cuss:She is a mouthy little 4' 11'' er. JUST KIDDING

rocknsnow

imported post

Hey thanks to everyone on there posts. I am sorry I haven't replied sooner. I currently reside in Alabama (thanks to the US Army) and I am from out west. Things are a little easier for gun owners where I am from. Thanks again for the info. I only going to be there for 2 days. I have a interview that I am attending.