• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC for base housing residents

Milbars

imported post

Hey all,

Just found this site last week and have been voracious in my reading. Since this is post #1, figured I'd post a quick intro then onto the question. AD AF (6 years) stationed at Langley but currently serving my second tour in Iraq (hence alot of reading time). Born and raised in MI by a very 2A supportive family and looking to do my civic duty when I get back and OC/CC (even got my wife interested!). My main question for now deals with Bethel Manor. Did a search and didn't find much so I'm posting this. How does it work if you OC/CC in the area then come back to Bethel Manor? It's privatized housing but SFS still patrols the area and guards the gate. Any current or past residents have any experience with this? I wanna move next year after I get back but have to deal with it for now. This is a great site and I'm definitely looking forward to being more active here! Thanks for everything you guys do!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Can't help you with your specific question from where I sit, but do want to thank you for your service and extend a hearty welcome to OCDO.

Sign up for the free VCDL Va-Alerts and keep current of laws, proposals and whats happening in and around Virginia regarding RKBA.
http://www.vcdl.org/

Yata hey

Milbars

imported post

Grape-

Thanks for the welcome! I actually found VCDL from the SIG Forums a month ago (still deciding!) and registered with them. I'm not sure how you Southern Gentlemen feel about a damn yankee carrying in your state but I'm mostly convinced (barring a veto from the Boss) that Va will be our adopted home when I have reached the end of my service. I can't wait to get back and attend a dinner with you all!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Milbars wrote:
Grape-

Thanks for the welcome! I actually found VCDL from the SIG Forums a month ago (still deciding!) and registered with them. I'm not sure how you Southern Gentlemen feel about a damn yankee carrying in your state but I'm mostly convinced (barring a veto from the Boss) that Va will be our adopted home when I have reached the end of my service. I can't wait to get back and attend a dinner with you all!
Yam Dankees are best served with coffee or very sweet tea.:D I am one myself as I adopted Virginia a number of years ago. You could do worse.

OC dinners, picnics, breakfasts and the king of all - Lobby Day at the General Assembly.

Checking these out will keep you busy for a while. Be sure and click on "view all." You can see full screen by zooming - top right of enlarged picture.
http://vagrapeshot.multiply.com/

Yata hey

PWC_Glock

imported post

Milbars wrote:
Hey all,

Just found this site last week and have been voracious in my reading. Since this is post #1, figured I'd post a quick intro then onto the question. AD AF (6 years) stationed at Langley but currently serving my second tour in Iraq (hence alot of reading time). Born and raised in MI by a very 2A supportive family and looking to do my civic duty when I get back and OC/CC (even got my wife interested!). My main question for now deals with Bethel Manor. Did a search and didn't find much so I'm posting this. How does it work if you OC/CC in the area then come back to Bethel Manor? It's privatized housing but SFS still patrols the area and guards the gate. Any current or past residents have any experience with this? I wanna move next year after I get back but have to deal with it for now. This is a great site and I'm definitely looking forward to being more active here! Thanks for everything you guys do!

Speaking as an AF VET that used to be stationed at LAFB that used to live in base housing at (Bethal Manor/Bethal Towers) in 1999.

AF rules are simple, you must "check your arms", at the gate.

During my time at the great FF. Bethal Manor was a US Govt/AF property, it was not private housing.

If you ever crossed a security gate then you were subject to base rules. Bethal Manor fell under these rules.

6L6GC

imported post

Milbars wrote:
Hey all,

contact the base legal office and speak with a lawyer. there will be no charge of course. no point in discussing this with anyone else on base or in Bethel Manor. the base legal office can give you the information that you need. They were always very helpful to me when I was stationed there.

PS many sincere thanks for serving our country.

Milbars

imported post

Yeah Legal office or the the LE desk was going to be my destination when I got back. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with carrying out in the local area and then coming back to the residence. I'll see if I can accomplish anything through email from here; it'll give me some documentation until I can get more official wording.

Ninja Edit: Thanks for all your support of us in uniform. I've come across many people who are sincerely thankful for the support we get from everyone back home.

thnycav

imported post

Your best bet would be to check with the AF security police. At Ft Eustis the people that live in military housing (they have been privatized as well) can keep firearms in their quarters but they have to register them with the Provost Marshals office.

Hope that helps.

Decoligny

imported post

In the Air Force, you are allowed to bring a firearm onto the base as long as it is locked in a secure container such as in the trunk, and the ammo is seperate from it, either in another locked container or in the passenger compartment.

You can bring the firearm either directly to the armory, directly to your base housing, or directly to another gate it you are passing through the base. No other places, no stops.

You are allowed to keepfirearms in your base housing, they just need to be registered with your First Sgt and the armory.

Same rules should apply to Government run off-base housing.

Check with your First Sgt, Security Forces, and Legal to verify that the information I provided is accurate.

Milbars

imported post

That's the tickler though. The AF as a whole is transitioning to privatized housing so it's no longer gov't ran. I'll see what I can find out from the management company as well as the AF side of things and post back once I find out something concrete.

thnycav

imported post

At Ft Eustis it is the contract housing and it has not effected the troops and their ability to have firearms at their quarters. They just have to be registered on post.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Recommend you DO NOT go to LE desk for advice. They will quote policy, as they understand it, or their attempt at interpreting the law.

Go to the JAG's office and ask for a reading.

There have been a lot of changes due to housing privatization, and believe it or not, base commanders can set their policies to their liking. Most don't. In my 22 years service, I never saw a base/post where privately owned firearms were allowed in base housing until Ft Belvoir, and here there are rank and storage restrictions.

The JAG office is staffed with people paid to understand the law. Make sure you ask for the laws and regulations that affect you to be clearly stated.

And thank you for serving.

thnycav

imported post

Ft Cambell I had my private weapons, Ft Eustis allows them and so does Ft Story. I work with the PMO and have see the written policy. By the way when a desk Sgt or Mp at Ft Eustis talks about policy they have the written policies in front of the to reference.

MackTheKnife

imported post

I don't know if Bethel Manor is on base or off base. If it's on base, then you do need to check in/register your weapons. If it's off base, then most likely not. When it comes to federal property, you can start with 18USC, Sections 930 & 950.