• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

how to deal with cops

thx997303

imported post

Yep, the officer treated Glockrocker with respect, thereby earning the respect that was returned by glockrocker.

And since this is what we all strive for in our LE encounters.....................

What is your point?

chillidogs

imported post

Didnt the Officer violate his civil rights by even asking him a single question? Should I find your own rants about this?

What law was being broken? NONE

So how dare the cop even talk to him. Better call MITCH and file suit, make sure he is trained properly,,,write a letter of whinism to the city council. go bitch to his boss and whip out the OC bible and teach the law!

If this is not an example of some of your posts then please correct me.

I think tolerance on both sides could and would benefit both sides. I have been trying to say that. But I get double teamed by you and your pal.

The reason I posted this in the first place was because I think it is the right approach.

thx997303

imported post

Go ahead guy, make my day.

Pull up all of my posts on the subject.

Won't do nothin but waste your time and amuse me.

I agree, the officer did right, so did Glockrocker.

No guns drawn, no demands. Nothing. I would hazard to guess that if Glockrocker had refused to show ID, the outcome would have been no different because this officer knew that no law was being broken.

The officer knew that there was no RAS for a stop, and was responding because she was dispatched and she had to.

Good lord you're annoying.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
Go ahead guy, make my day.

Pull up all of my posts on the subject.

Won't do nothin but waste your time and amuse me.

I agree, the officer did right, so did Glockrocker.

No guns drawn, no demands. Nothing. I would hazard to guess that if Glockrocker had refused to show ID, the outcome would have been no different because this officer knew that no law was being broken.

The officer knew that there was no RAS for a stop, and was responding because she was dispatched and she had to.

Good lord you're annoying.

Aren't we overlooking that a government agent bothered a citizen just because someone else complained about a perfectly legal and constitutionally protected activity?

There was absolutely nothing wrong with the LEO observing from a distance. Contact was not necessary, despite the LEO's choice of words about having to check to make sure everything is on the up and up.There is no legal requirement for the LEO to check. You and I both know that if we were to call the police andcomplain thata curvy woman was wearing (gasp) clothes, the police would not even respond.

While Terry and later opinionshave said that a consensual encounter does notintrude on4A rights, I doubt it wasintended that police have carte blanche to pester anybody and everybody for any reason, especially situations where someone is complaining about the exercise of an enumerated right and just to follow procedure or mollify someone prone to swoons and vapors.

If police really respected his rights, they would have observed from a distance, or sent no one.

thx997303

imported post

Yes, your situation would be ideal.

But at this moment, situations like the one presented by Glockrocker are perfectly acceptable.

Once all of the encounters start going this way, it will only be a matter of time before they stop altogether.

But, this situation could have went far worse.

It went well, with the officer showing a reluctance to even do what was done.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
SNIP But at this moment, situations like the one presented by Glockrocker are perfectly acceptable.

Once all of the encounters start going this way, it will only be a matter of time before they stop altogether.
Oh, my! And here I thought you were more stringent in your views.

Here in Fairfax County, we didn't wait for them to get used to us. We demanded it.

Ditto for Manassas, VA. Not a peep out of that bunch since the Tony's Incident in early 2007.

Basically, its the difference between letting the police set the standard for which rights they will respect and to what degree, and telling them which rights they will respect and to what degree. Something they are already supposed to know and be doing anyway.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

chillidogs wrote:
I think this thread should have been titled "How cops should deal with lawful OC".

I can say that the majority of my interactions with police officers while OCing have been neutral to positive in terms of their attitude and professionalism. But so far as I'm concerned, the only IDEAL experience with a police officer is the one that doesn't happen because the officer is familiar enough with the law to know you are doing nothing wrong.

I've never had a cop come up and make chitchat while I was mowing the lawn, or washing the car, or eating an ice cream cone, or crossing the street legally, or driving the speed limit. I've never been stopped while walking to church with my Bible in plain site.

Why should I expect to have to explain myself simply because I have a perfectly legal gun, perfectly legally and peacefully carried in plain sight?

Look, I understand your frustration with those who bash cops. But you're not doing the good cops any favors by stirring the pot here.

I too have family and friends who are peace officers. But I've also run into a few "law enforcement types" who have let the badge and gun go to their head. I watched what the double nickel did to turn too many of the white knights of the road into over trained meter maids and revenue collectors.

Police officers are people. Some are great, some are good, some are mediocre, and some are downright bad. Some, like officer Hammond do some really bad things (accepting sexual favors from an underage girl) and turn around and do really good things (keeping the Trolley Square shooter at bay while the uniformed cops showed up).

And sadly, our interactions with the good and great cops will be very limited because THEY are not the ones who are ignorantly and arrogantly infringing our rights. The good cops see a legal gun, know it is legal and do no more than nod. So nothing to write home (or OCDO) about.

It is the bad cops who create the situations that get posted here. Bear that in mind and don't be quite so defensive. I'm sure you dad and other relatives are more than capable of defending their own honor if need be. And if they are really good cops, they are not likely to ever be the subject of a bashing session here anyway.

Charles

thx997303

imported post

Oh, my views are more stringent, but this is one battle that I wouldn't bother with.

While the various LE agencies are still doing the gun drawn approach, and seemingly quite regularly in some places, I would rather expend energy on the more severe cases.

My end goal of course is to be left the hell alone.

I personally think that in the situation that Glockrocker presented the people who need the education are the complainant and the dispatcher.

I think that the officer hust assumed that since she was dispatched, she was then obligated to make contact.

That is an issue but one that I think is seconday to getting the calls to stop in the firstplace, and getting the dispatcher to tell some people to just calm down, its legal.