• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Disabled

ScottyDog

imported post

I may have posted the fact that I'm in a wheelchair before, anyway I have a serious question for all of you.

Do you think I get treated differently in a traffic stop because I'm disabled. I ask because I read many horror stories here :cool: and just wonder.

I have been pulled over 3 times in my life and haven't even had a cop look at me funny.

The police know I am disabled because I have restrictions on my license, as far as required equipment in my car.

Don't pull any punches, tell me your opinion.

Thanks..

Aaron1124

imported post

What do you mean by treated differently? Just treated under different circumstances than what an officer would treat a non-disabled person?

I wouldn't think so, but that's just my opinion.

jeeper1

imported post

Just seems people get awkward around me sometimes
------------------------------------------------
Happens to me all the time. I guess the people around here are just not used to a man on an mobility scooter with an openly carried pistol.

ScottyDog

imported post

I had a weird thought. 2 disabled dudes charging downhill towards zombies with our guns blazing.

Then when we run out of rifle ammo we draw pistils and fight till they eat our brains.

Sorry, a Bruce Campbell image.

:lol:

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

opinion on what? no question asked other than telling us your disabled.

1245A Defender

imported post

i wonder if you are "more allowed" to carrybecause your ability to defend your self is imparred? cops often ask, "what do you need a gun for?" knowing i could run, or fight! but you dont have that option, so in a sense you are more deserving of the right to carry than us. maybe thats why they dont question your gun carry?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Probably scottydog, but don't feel bad about it. Hopefully its empathy and folks wanna be more helpful and less critical because of your situation, and sometimes I notice some folks are uncomfotable around others who are "differant".

Agent 47

imported post

Yes, cops often Ask me why I feel the need to carry a gun . being 6'2'' and 230 I guesss they are implying that somehow I shouldn't use a gun to defend myself but I suppose that if I were in a wheelchair and thus looked more like a victem they would be less likely to have a problem with it. Also many cops who have a problem with OC don't like to be made to feal that they are now no better than the unwashed masses they have a gun I have a gun, They have been trained on how to use it, I have been trained on how to use it. They only feal comfortable dealing with people from a dominate possision and to see the field leveled makes them uncomfortable. I would think this attitude is negated by the fact that they see you as being at a disadvantage to themselves because you are in a chair. thery feal that inspite of the fact you are armed they are still supperior and thus have less of a problem with you having a gun.