Thread: Pierce County signs at Greenwater :No discharge of firearms

Post imported post

Out near Greenwater, I've often seen signs posted referencing a Pierce County Ordinance of "No discharge of firearms".

My question is, does this law still pertain to routes that lead to the National Forest area?

I'm technically required to obtain a Northwest Forest Pass in the areas I camp... now this is National Forest property, so does the Pierce County Ordinance of no discharge of firearms still apply? (The signs are often posted near the entrance of the routes)

Post imported post

I've only seen them in the residential and developed areas out there. Just because it's marked as a forest road, doesn't mean that it doesn't cross private property.

The 73 road is one example that comes to mind. Also the road to Ranger Creek Airport.

You will generally find No Shooting signs in the developed areas, in the lowlands, and I can't see why a Pierce County Ordinance wouldn't apply in Pierce County. I've never interpreted those signs to mean No Shooting all the way up into the hills.

As an aside, did you know that the Forest Service can only require a pass in developed areas, and they have specific definitions of what a Developed Area is? Must have a picnic table, regular garbage service, and a toilet. They often post the Pass Required signs in areas that don't meet those requirements.

Post imported post

That's interesting. Route 73 is where I normally go. About 4 miles down. I hear campers shooting all throughout the day out in the general vicinity of the area. I wasn't sure if Pierce County Sheriff's Office has jurisdiction over that area, or the U.S. Forest Service.

Post imported post

Here is an interesting article about criminal enforcement in the National Forest Areas. A bit dated, but I imagine much of it still applies.

Post imported post

I'm not familiar with road 73. Isn't road 72 the one that is just east of the fire station on the 410? I go backpacking way up road 7220 which you pick up from the 72.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.

Post imported post

did you know that the Forest Service can only require a pass in developed areas
    They also can, and do, require a pass for parking at trail heads.

Post imported post

They also can, and do, require a pass for parking at trail heads.
    But only at trail heads that have a picnic table, toilet, and regular garbage service (which few have.) It's takes a lot of research and reading to figure this out but in the end, that's what it comes down to.

Post imported post

deanf,

Well, go ahead and actually cite what you found, then.

Post imported post

Straight from the Forest Service web page.

Standard Amenity Fees
    Examples: Picnic areas, developed trailheads, destination visitor centers, high impact recreation areas
    Explanation: Typically, standard amenity fees are day use fees, often covered by a day or annual pass. Each site or area must contain six "amenities," which are picnic tables, trash, toilet, parking, interpretive signing and security.
    See also page 8 of Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA)

Forest Service
    Interim Implementation Guildlines

The REA was passed on 8 December 2004 and, in part, authorizes the Forest Pass program on a permanent basis. It is very specific about where recreation fees may be implemented. If a site does not have (at minimum) these six required “amenities”, then a fee cannot be charged: Designated developed parking, permanent toilet facility, permanent trash receptacle, interpretive sign, exhibit, or kiosk, picnic tables, and, security services.

The Forest Service spells it out nicely on their web page. Why they don’t follow their own guidelines for implementation, I don’t know.

Post imported post

Thanks, Deanf. That does sound like requiring the NW Forest Pass for parking at a trailhead (where there isn't a fully developed picnic site coterminous with it, and "fully developed" includes security--whatever that means, i.e. the act just says 'security' w/o defining what would be required in order to qualify as providing security.)

Post imported post

I'm not familiar with road 73. Isn't road 72 the one that is just east of the fire station on the 410? I go backpacking way up road 7220 which you pick up from the 72.

FS 70 is the paved road east of the fire station - About 8.5 miles back is a pit for shooting.

FS 72 is the gravel road that leads up to several nice camping areas. No permit required

Post imported post

Yes, that's it. I know that pit. I go past that and follow the 7220 all the way to the top where the road stops, then we hike in.
    Certified Glock Armorer

"A government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any particular individual citizen..." -- Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. App.181)

A 1911 that works properly is as rare as a Glock that doesn't.