• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pierce County signs at Greenwater :No discharge of firearms

Aaron1124

imported post

Out near Greenwater, I've often seen signs posted referencing a Pierce County Ordinance of "No discharge of firearms".

My question is, does this law still pertain to routes that lead to the National Forest area?

I'm technically required to obtain a Northwest Forest Pass in the areas I camp... now this is National Forest property, so does the Pierce County Ordinance of no discharge of firearms still apply? (The signs are often posted near the entrance of the routes)

deanf

imported post

I've only seen them in the residential and developed areas out there. Just because it's marked as a forest road, doesn't mean that it doesn't cross private property.

The 73 road is one example that comes to mind. Also the road to Ranger Creek Airport.

You will generally find No Shooting signs in the developed areas, in the lowlands, and I can't see why a Pierce County Ordinance wouldn't apply in Pierce County. I've never interpreted those signs to mean No Shooting all the way up into the hills.

As an aside, did you know that the Forest Service can only require a pass in developed areas, and they have specific definitions of what a Developed Area is? Must have a picnic table, regular garbage service, and a toilet. They often post the Pass Required signs in areas that don't meet those requirements.

Aaron1124

imported post

That's interesting. Route 73 is where I normally go. About 4 miles down. I hear campers shooting all throughout the day out in the general vicinity of the area. I wasn't sure if Pierce County Sheriff's Office has jurisdiction over that area, or the U.S. Forest Service.

SpyderTattoo

imported post

I'm not familiar with road 73. Isn't road 72 the one that is just east of the fire station on the 410? I go backpacking way up road 7220 which you pick up from the 72.

deanf

imported post

They also can, and do, require a pass for parking at trail heads.

But only at trail heads that have a picnic table, toilet, and regular garbage service (which few have.) It's takes a lot of research and reading to figure this out but in the end, that's what it comes down to.

deanf

imported post

Straight from the Forest Service web page.

Standard Amenity Fees
Examples: Picnic areas, developed trailheads, destination visitor centers, high impact recreation areas
Explanation: Typically, standard amenity fees are day use fees, often covered by a day or annual pass. Each site or area must contain six "amenities," which are picnic tables, trash, toilet, parking, interpretive signing and security.

See also page 8 of Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act (REA)

Forest Service
Interim Implementation Guildlines

The REA was passed on 8 December 2004 and, in part, authorizes the Forest Pass program on a permanent basis. It is very specific about where recreation fees may be implemented. If a site does not have (at minimum) these six required “amenities”, then a fee cannot be charged: Designated developed parking, permanent toilet facility, permanent trash receptacle, interpretive sign, exhibit, or kiosk, picnic tables, and, security services.

The Forest Service spells it out nicely on their web page. Why they don’t follow their own guidelines for implementation, I don’t know.

kparker

imported post

Thanks, Deanf. That does sound like requiring the NW Forest Pass for parking at a trailhead (where there isn't a fully developed picnic site coterminous with it, and "fully developed" includes security--whatever that means, i.e. the act just says 'security' w/o defining what would be required in order to qualify as providing security.)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

I'm not familiar with road 73. Isn't road 72 the one that is just east of the fire station on the 410? I go backpacking way up road 7220 which you pick up from the 72.

FS 70 is the paved road east of the fire station - About 8.5 miles back is a pit for shooting.

FS 72 is the gravel road that leads up to several nice camping areas. No permit required