• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Punished for doing the right thing

HardChrome

imported post

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/52271217.html

SEATTLE -- A local bank teller who chased down a would-be robber was fired from his job for not simply handing over the cash. Jim Nicholson was working at a Key Bank branch in the city's Lower Queen Anne neighborhood when a man walked into the bank, put a bag on the counter and told the teller to fill it with money.
"At that point, I grabbed the bag, I threw it on the ground and said, 'Where is it?' referring to if he had a weapon," said Nicholson.

090801_Jim_Nicholson1.jpg

Jim Nicholson
Nicholson then lunged across the counter.
The robber turned and ran. Nicholson gave chase, and managed to tackle him a few blocks away.
"If I allowed him to get away, then he would just continue doing it. He could come back to our branch. He could... go to another bank," said the teller.
Two days later, Key Bank fired Nicholson for violating the bank's security policies.
Nicholson says he knew he broke the rules, which require tellers to comply with robbers' demands.
Tellers are trained to hand over the cash and work to get the robbers out. The bank would then be placed under lock down, and police would be called. Anything else is unacceptable, according to the bank.
Key Bank managers referred questions to a corporate spokesperson, who didn't return KOMO's calls.
As for Nicholson, he says he has "no hard feelings."
"I had hoped that they would give me a reprimand, or maybe a write-up -- something like that. But it ended up in termination," he said.

zack991

imported post

Phoenixphire wrote:
You must say "Baaaaaaa!", like a good sheep.

Anything else is unacceptable.
So many places I have worked for stated, "that you are not allowed to resist". I told every manager I have worked for I WILL resist every time. My life is to precious to leave it up to the mercy of a bad guy. For me, protecting my right to life means much more then this job. Those jobs are not worth the risk of hoping and praying that the bad guy spares my life. I will resist every time.

compmanio365

imported post

I missed our "workplace violence" orientation, but I was told it consisted of them telling us to run and leave everyone else to fend for themselves if there was a problem. I know at least one other besides myself on my team who thinks that's a load of crap and will join me in removing whatever threat exists to us and our fellow coworkers, even if it means we no longer work there when it's all said and done.

Carnivore

imported post

The federal Govt., should be putting a pay raise on the ole boys next check, their the ones who would've had to insure the amount stolen, The Bank should be keeping the fella on as security, and get him trained in advanced training for the job! I hope there was a GunFree zone sticker on the front door of this Bank!!:lol:

Anybody got a video of this failed withdrawal transaction??

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Uhm... I have to dissent from the usual position.

If you KNOW that YOU are disarmed, and you DON'T KNOW if 'the other guy' is, then chasing him out of the building and several blocks away is dumb. There is nothing proud, heroic, or 'civic duty' about it.

If you haven't got the proper tools to maintain control over the situation (a gun) then you actually are creating a dangerous situation for everyone you cross while doing this kind of thing. Not to mention yourself.

If a Bank, your employer, renders you helpless and useless; there isn't much sane action you can take.

Now, if he had a gun he could draw and order the guy to the floor right in front of the counter, by all means, go for it!