• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HERE YOU GO WYOMING - CHANGE YOUR LAWS

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

effective April 27, 2009 - New Montana Law

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billpdf/HB0228.pdf
in part not complete new law - open the link to review the entire new law

[align=left]Section 2. Openly carrying weapon -- display -- exemption. [/align]

[align=left]
(1) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited from doing so by federal or state law may openly carry a weapon and may communicate to another person the fact that the person has a weapon.[/align]

[align=left](2) If a person reasonably believes that the person or another person is threatened with bodily harm, the person may warn or threaten the use of force, including deadly force, against the aggressor, including drawing or presenting a weapon.[/align]

Huck

imported post

IDAHO COWBOY wrote:

[align=left]
(1) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited from doing so by federal or state law may openly carry a weapon and may communicate to another person the fact that the person has a weapon.[/align]

[align=left](2) If a person reasonably believes that the person or another person is threatened with bodily harm, the person may warn or threaten the use of force, including deadly force, against the aggressor, including drawing or presenting a weapon.[/align]
I second that motion!

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

Huck wrote:
IDAHO COWBOY wrote:

[align=left]

I second that motion!
e-mail friends and contact clubs / including IDPA in Wyoming - get Wyoming Shooting Sports Assoc (WSSA) and Wyoming Gun Owners Assoc off their laurels then make it happen

MatieA

imported post

Why does Wyoming need a law like this? We are already an open-carry state. There is not a single word written in Wyoming against open carry, and the state has complete preemption.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

Montana was like Wyoming before Montana passed this new law.

Why this new law ? Montana was just like Wyoming still is - Peace Officers stopping Citizens for no reason other open carry or someone notice the dreaded handgun when carrying concealed. Not against the law, distrubing the peace is against law, did happen in MT and is still happening WY - in fact Pine Bluff is one the places discussed on this web site !

MatieA

imported post

I am aware of that and I have been carrying EVERY day everywhere I go (except the Post Office), and have had 0 encounters. I have even open carried in the mall in Cheyennewith 0 encounters there. We DO NOT need a law for open carry it is already legal. when a law is written it is written to prohibit something, either now or in the future. I would prefer Wy went the way of Va, Vt, and Alaska. Carry is legal, open or conceal without a permit.

I even open carried at the county fair at Frontier Park today and the 5 Sheriff deputies that I saw never said a word about the firearm. Nobody ran screaming in fear either :D

rpyne

imported post

MatieA wrote:
when a law is written it is written to prohibit something, either now or in the future. I would prefer Wy went the way of Va, Vt, and Alaska. Carry is legal, open or conceal without a permit.
Did you read the entire law? This is the kind of law most states need, This law is an affirmation of the right guaranteed in the state constitution and adds specific protections for those who carry or use a firearm for defense. Much of the protection given in this law can only be obtained by many years of court rulings, if at all, in most other states.

This law prohibits state infringement on the right of self preservation.

IDAHO COWBOY

imported post

MatieA and rpyne

I agree with both of you in this regard, all States need this kind of law for self defense and RKBA; and yes I agree no permit required for open or concealed carry.

In Montana, they tried in 2007 and 2009 (and came close but "some" Democrat Sheriff's opposed this), they will try again in 2011 for no permit carry for open or concealed carry sort of like VT and AK - exactly like AK is the goal.

Yes - most of the time now and when I was growing up a half century or so ago this is the way it was "when a law is written it is written to prohibit something, either now or in the future." Times change not always for the good.

Yes - This law is an affirmation of the right guaranteed in the state constitution and adds specific protections for those who carry or use a firearm for defense. Much of the protection given in this law can only be obtained by many years of court rulings, if at all, in most other states. This law prohibits state infringement on the right of self preservation.

MatieA - why do you suppose this worksfor you but not others ? "I have been carrying EVERY day everywhere I go (except the Post Office), and have had 0 encounters. I have even open carried in the mall in Cheyennewith 0 encounters there."

MatieA

imported post

I have noticed several other people carrying in Cheyenne. I am going to assume that they don't get hassled either. Maybe they aren't members here so we don't here about their experiences. I wasn't going to chase them down and ask them to join the forums. ;)

Unfortunately I believe I am the only one that OPEN carries in Pine. Hopefully that will change soon. People have been talking to me about open carry. :D

AB

imported post

Alaska-Carry and Vermont-Carry are two different creatures, some will tell you that AC is like VC with an optional license, don't be fooled by cheap imitations.

The last AC style bill here in Wyoming was in 2006, it contained the following:

From HB78 2006
(b) Whenever a person carrying a concealed deadly weapon under this section is stopped, detained, questioned [font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]or addressed in person by a peace officer, he shall [/font][font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]immediately inform the peace officer that he is carrying a [/font][font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]concealed deadly weapon under this section. The peace [/font][font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]officer may secure the concealed deadly weapon, or direct [/font][font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]that it be secured, during the duration of the contact [/font][font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]between the person and the peace officer if the peace [/font][font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]officer determines that the action is necessary for the [/font][font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]safety of any person present, including the peace officer... (See attachment below)
[/font]

For the record Alaska is similar to this legislation that Wyoming lawmakers drafted and WyGO will oppose any carry legislationlacedwith any such wordingand will expose any legislators that support stomping on your constitutional rights.

Please notethat WSSA and NRA supportedHB78 which is the difference between them and WyGO.

This would be a violation of the Fourth Amendment and it would probably be carried over to OC situations, your vehicle, etc., matter of fact they could use it against you on your own property.

WyGO ispushingfor a more simplistic law, like Vermont in which the government adheres to constitutional rights.

WyGO isworking on a "the second amendment is my license to carry" campaign, just remember we must not be hasty in passing legislation and good intentions alone can be dangerous.

P.S. Vermont doesn't require anyone be a resident of the state, it's your constitutional right to OC and CC, no permit required, that's the way it should be.

[font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]
[/font]

MamaLiberty

imported post

AB wrote:
Alaska-Carry and Vermont-Carry are two different creatures, some will tell you that AC is like VC with an optional license, don't be fooled by cheap imitations.

<snip>
WyGO isworking on a "the second amendment is my license to carry" campaign, just remember we must not be hasty in passing legislation and good intentions alone can be dangerous.

P.S. Vermont doesn't require anyone be a resident of the state, it's your constitutional right to OC and CC, no permit required, that's the way it should be.[font="Courier New, courier, monaco, monospace, sans-serif"]
[/font]
Indeed! Eliminate and repeal legislation, don't add to it and complicate it.

Get rid of the "permit" altogether and only allow the police to deal with obvious aggression. If someone wants a "permit" to travel to other states, let them get one from another state!! Utah at least used to offer that.

The more the legislature tinkers with things, the worse it gets for everyone. The only tools they have are force and theft. Why in the world would we want to give them any more power over us?

Anybody who thinks any of this would actually protect us or our right to carry simply has not lived with the consequences of government long enough to know better.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

IDAHO COWBOY wrote:
...Peace Officers stopping Citizens for no reason other open carry or someone notice the dreaded handgun when carrying concealed. Not against the law, distrubing the peace is against law, did happen in MT and is still happening WY...
Ohio has this problem currently, despite the fact that the last two Attorney General's concealed carry booklets state "The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio", and ORC 9.68.

A local guy got chargedwith inducing panic late last year fornothing other than open carrying.

My suggestion is that you fellows work to reform your "disorderly conduct" and inducing panic" (for example) while you're at whatever you're at.

Just my 2 cents.