• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

There is an organized litter clean up on Saturday the 8th in Pontiac

Michigander

imported post

CANCELED BY THE RAIN :(:(:(

My initial attempt to do a litter clean up in conjunction with the picnic in Auburn Hills hasn't ended up getting much interest, http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/27999.html

But Generaldet told me about a big litter clean up the day before, also scheduled for Pontiac.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2009/08/03/news/local_news/doc4a76b0c6a2cbc580493393.txt

With the Dream Cruise coming up on Aug. 15 and the Arts, Beats & Eats-Festival of Hope happening during Labor Day weekend, business owners are looking to spruce up the downtown with a cleanup day on Saturday, Aug 8. “With the two festivals coming up — Dream Cruise and Art, Beats & Eats — and with a lot of visitors coming to town, we want to make sure they see a clean town,” said Lee Todd, of the Pontiac Downtown Business Association. The Pontiac Garden Club also is considering putting up some hanging planters to beautify the downtown. Councilman Everett Seay said he thinks it’s a great idea. “We don’t have a lot of money, but we have the spirit here in Pontiac,” Seay said. “We have over 2 million guests coming to town and we need to show our best.” “It is going to be a great day and let’s hope everyone comes out,” said Downtown Development Director Sandy-Michael McDonald Individuals or groups interested in assisting in the cleanup effort should contact Rachel Leas at Grace Centers of Hope at (248) 334-2187, ext. 34.
It would be better for exposure with all of the people that would see us, and the likely press coverage. If we can get at least 4 or 5 people to go, I'd like to do it.

Is anyone both interested and available?

And this probably goes without saying, but there are more new people all the time, so in case anyone didn't know, there is no obligation to OC at this or any other event if you aren't comfortable doing so.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I just spoke to Rachel, the organizer for this. She said that it's from 9-1 this Saturday, and we would need to bring our own garbage bags and gloves.

From talking with her they really have their work cut out for them. Hopefully a couple people can make it out.

DanM

imported post

I called Rachel about parking locations. Left a voicemail, so if/when she calls back I'll let you know. I think it's a good idea if we park and meet up at around the same location.

If anyone is alreadyaware of where to park, share it please. :)

DanM

imported post

I just spoke with Rachel. The actual meet up of all participants will be at Grace Gospel Fellowship church at 210 N. Perry Street in Pontiac.

They have a good-sized parking lot at that church, and participants are free to park there. I suggest we park there.

Michigander

imported post

That could be a very serious problem for anyone without a CPL. If there is anyone without a CPL that shows up, arrangements should be made with a CPL holder to remove their cased and unloaded gun from their trunk before getting to the church property.

DanM

imported post

Michigander wrote:
***SPECIAL NOTE***If you don't have a CPL and intend to come out and carry, you can't legally carry on church property, so you will need to park elsewhere, or make arrangements with a CPL holder to remove your gun from your trunk off church property before you park, and hand it to you off the property.

If anyone is considering parking elsewhere, here are some possibilities:

There is a bicycle shop across from the church, on the other side of Woodward Loop and Perry (diagonally across the intersection).

Just north of the church, on the same side ofPerry, there are a couple of businesses with parking lots.

Check with the owner of the lot (if the business is open) to get their OK to park there. Mention that you are doing the charity litter clean-up for the church and that should help you.

Michigander

imported post

The weather forecast says t storms all day. :cuss:

I'll go out in the rain, but I won't be out if there is lightning. How about everyone else?