• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Haven Picnic-River side Park.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Received this very nice letter from the Chief of Police of South Haven. He has offered help and mentions some parking issues. The City attorney has change their position on the firearm ordinance as well.

I responded and thanked the Chief and invite him and his officers to the picnic.

Mr. Jeffs,

The City Manager has asked me to respond to you and to inquire if there is anything in the way of services that you need for your picnic on September 13, 2009? Parking may be somewhat of an issue for you, as Water Street is closed at Maple for construction of the new Water Filtration Plant. Parking near Waterfront Park is limited; however, there are other areas that you may want to use for parking.

Secondly, my officers have been instructed, as well as our dispatch center, on the proper procedures to handle any issues citizens might raise concerning open carry. Until the issue is settled at our attorney level, I have instructed our officers to make no arrests for open carry, as open carry does not violate the law. In the meantime, I have been informed that our city attorney (who primarily handles prosecution of ordinance) has indicated a change in position relative to the ordinance issues. It appears that he is now prepared to offer amendments to the City Code, striking firearms from the code of ordinances that is believed to be in conflict with State Law.

I hope you have an enjoyable day in South Haven for your picnic, and again, if there is anything you need to assist you please feel free to contact me. I don’t know how many you will have in attendance, but, I might be able to offer some close by parking options if you want.

Rod A. Somerlott

Chief of Police

autosurgeon

imported post

Rod really is a good guy and has done a good job in SH for years... I grew up there and know whereof I speak.. Also parking is tight down there right now BUT if you are willing to walk that is not an issue as you can park on several of the streets that feed down to Water street. There are drop off spots near the municipal marina which is next to the park... so folks can drop off stuff and then go park!

It doesn't surprise me that the attorney has changed his position... he was looking at the possibility if losing another client:lol:

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Rod really is a good guy and has done a good job in SH for years... I grew up there and know whereof I speak.. Also parking is tight down there right now BUT if you are willing to walk that is not an issue as you can park on several of the streets that feed down to Water street. There are drop off spots near the municipal marina which is next to the park... so folks can drop off stuff and then go park!

It doesn't surprise me that the attorney has changed his position... he was looking at the possibility if losing another client:lol:

There's a good parking area up in town by the coffee shop (Juliana's?). They usually setup an ice skating rink in the lot in the wintertime. The lot used to be a for-fee lot, now it's free parking.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
Perhaps we should change to a different park.  If Maple is closed we can't get to Water St. at all. 

How about Johnston Park.  I'm checking into any problems we may have with this park.  It's near the river so people can still fish.

I still like the original park. I always park downtown then walk to the beach, anyway. It's at most a 1/4 mile walk, all downhill to get there. The riverfront park is much more appealing to the eye, has much more foot traffic, and thus will be much more publicly visible.

autosurgeon

imported post

Water street is closed where it connects with the South Beach Parking area. However Maple Street has parking all down the right side of it and it t'ees with water street right at the park so there should be no problem with parking! I can also direct people to other places the day of as there are little nooks of parking here and there that are also quite close!

We should NOT change parks as this one gets tons of foot traffic as it is on the main walking route to the lighthouse! The other one gets WAY less foot traffic.

Venator

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Water street is closed where it connects with the South Beach Parking area. However Maple Street has parking all down the right side of it and it t'ees with water street right at the park so there should be no problem with parking! I can also direct people to other places the day of as there are little nooks of parking here and there that are also quite close!

We should NOT change parks as this one gets tons of foot traffic as it is on the main walking route to the lighthouse! The other one gets WAY less foot traffic.
Can we get to Water St. via Erie and Monroe???

autosurgeon

imported post

Phoenix street turns into water street so getting to the site by car is no problem! Then at the intersection of Maple street that is where the barricades are. So getting down in there and out is no problem it's just that some of the parking is also blocked off and that is what Rod was alluding to.. He could most likely make it so that we could use some of that blocked off road as parking if we wanted to. as they did that for several of the festivals this summer already.

Venator

imported post

Okay after talking with some locals and the Chief we will keep it at the Waterfront park. I don't think parking will be an issue, so come on everyone that can.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Venator wrote:
Okay after talking with some locals and the Chief we will keep it at the Waterfront park.  I don't think parking will be an issue, so come on everyone that can.

For all that aren't bringing large items (such as grills, crock pots, coolers), or that feel that they are able, Please park up the hill a few blocks in the free parking lot. It's only 2.5 blocks to the park from there, downhill, and will save the close spots for those hauling lots of stuff, or are otherwise unable to travel such distances by foot.

Also, the parking by the park is metered, and the lot up the hill in town is free.

Venator

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
Venator wrote:
Okay after talking with some locals and the Chief we will keep it at the Waterfront park. I don't think parking will be an issue, so come on everyone that can.

For all that aren't bringing large items (such as grills, crock pots, coolers), or that feel that they are able, Please park up the hill a few blocks in the free parking lot. It's only 2.5 blocks to the park from there, downhill, and will save the close spots for those hauling lots of stuff, or are otherwise unable to travel such distances by foot.

Also, the parking by the park is metered, and the lot up the hill in town is free.
Is the meter parking free on weekends, in many towns it is?

hopnpop

imported post

I was just in S. Haven yesterday and that construction is an absolute mess!! Looks like a huge, horrible project!! I sincerely HOPE that it shapes up some in the next 2 weeks. As of now tho, it's a clusterf**k.

autosurgeon

imported post

Just found out that the south west side of the marina building overhang is public and has tables. There are also public restrooms there!

So we can use that if we want to... I have never seen them in use on a Sunday Afternoon in the fall.

hopnpop

imported post

Where Water St. is closed, I couldn't tell - anyone know if it's still open to foot traffic? It'd be a shame if it's not. That would be a TON of missed opportunities for public involvement.