Thread: OC by Someone Licensed Out-of-State

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I'll be travelling to the fair state of TN from AL in the near future and have just become aware and very enthusiastic about the whole OC thing. I have a permit from AL, but it is strictly for concealed carry here. By law, OC is legal in AL, but apparently not well-tolerated by LEOs. AL does recognize TN permits, although there is no formal reciprocity agreement. Will I be able to OC in TN?

Many thanks!

Post imported post

Yes.

TN recognizes all permits and you are bound by TN law, not the law of the state the permit is from.

So you can OC in TN as long as you havea permit.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Great! Is a retention device required? Is there anything else I should know?

Many thanks!

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Tn statutes have no reguirements pertaining to holsters that I know of. "WE" would advise that you have some sort of restraining system to keep it from falling out of the holster (while hanging upside down on the monkey bars)or being easily snatched, just as a safety precaution.

Post imported post

Of course!

I am from MO (wheres its up to the city/coutny where you can OC) and carry in KY and TN on my MO CCW.

I have sat right across beside local LEO's and State police in TN and they didn't even blink an eye.

The only comment I got was from a customer saying that is a big gun.

I have never carried in any of the big cities though. Just between Paris and cant remember the other town. Its past Campbell on the border of KY. LOL

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Thanks to all.

I recently purchased my second Mitch Rosen holster, a Premier Full Detail, and the retention due to the full boning of the leather is quite impressive.

(Photo from Mitch Rosen Extraordinary Gunleather) The handgun literally snaps in place. No formal retention device does mean I will need to pay a little more attention to my neighbors and be ready to counter a disarm attempt. However, this is a concealment holster and, as such,it rides very close to the body.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Ss wrote:
    Of course!

I am from MO (wheres its up to the city/coutny where you can OC) and carry in KY and TN on my MO CCW.

I have sat right across beside local LEO's and State police in TN and they didn't even blink an eye.

The only comment I got was from a customer saying that is a big gun.

I have never carried in any of the big cities though. Just between Paris and cant remember the other town. Its past Campbell on the border of KY. LOL

Clarksville?

Post imported post

My Guess would be DOVER, it is between Paris and Clarksville, and Fort Campbell is in Clarksville and Oak Grove KY. I am about 15 miles from Dover and ride my Harley around here all the time.

Post imported post

yep

Thats it!

Thanks

I do remember that place. Damn high taxes. Went to Wal mart. I think it was 10 percent or so. Also at a place called Burritos or some such. Had good burritos.

Heading back in October. Going to hit Mammoth cave. Go fishing with my brother and find something else to do.

Post imported post

My brother lives in Dover.

First time I ever went to a Piggly Wiggly.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Just got back from our trip to TN earlier tonight. (We went whitewater rafting on the Ocoee.) We stopped once on the way up at a McDonald's and once on the way back at a Cracker Barrel. No problems with open carry. The folks at McD's were actually more laid back than a few of the customers at CB. I got a couple of repeat starers there. However, I saw an older gentleman and his wife entering CB just before my family and it looked like he had a Glock 30. Never saw him once in the restaurant, though. Thanks, again, to those of you who offered advice.