Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what can my 18yr old son carry?

Post imported post

I've looked through a lot of threads but nothing on this subject, can my 18 year old son carry a pistol that is legally registered to either his mom or I or does it need to be registered in his name?

Activist Member

Post imported post

What state are you in?

Post imported post

I'm in Michigan, son and his mom are in Arizona, but he's only there for the summer (unless he finds a job)

Post imported post

whats a "registered"

haha just playing, out here in the desert no one registers their weapons or cares for that matter. ill make this as clear as possible, at 18 years of age your son is 100% legal to OPEN carry a pistol or rifle.

this is assuming he has a clear record of course, which honestly, the cops wouldnt bug him anyways but im not implying he do that if he does have felonies or a charge forbidding him from carrying.

where abouts in AZ is he at?

Post imported post

r6, you totally missed the point of the question, yes he is able to carry but does it have to be in his name? can he carry a loaner?

Post imported post

Arizona, like most free states, has no gun registration. As long as the gun isn't stolen, he can carry it.

Post imported post

Yes, of course he can carry, it's Arizona, the state known around the country for open carrying. Please tell him I said to do it responsibly and often.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    Yes, of course he can carry, it's Arizona, the state known around the country for open carrying. Please tell him I said to do it responsibly and often.
    Michigander
    [img]images/avatars/3068.jpg[/img]

Joined:Sat Aug 25th, 2007 Location:Oakland County, Michigan USA Posts:1911 Status: Offline
    Nice post count, I approve! Haahaa.

As long as he's responsible, educated about the law, and has sufficient practice with his sidearm, I don't see why he shouldn't carry. I'd rather advise it. We don't have anywhere near enough people in the 18-21 age bracket in Michigan, OC'ing.

-Richard, 20yo-

Post imported post

thanks NavyLt, THAT was the answer i was looking for, he can carry one of moms while in AZ. and one of mine here MI.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    miken9660 wrote:
    thanks NavyLt, THAT was the answer i was looking for, he can carry one of moms while in AZ. and one of mine here MI.
    SWEEET!

The maps on the homepage here say that a license is required to carry in a vehicle in Michigan, so you might want to check that out further.
    That is correct. CPL is required in Michigan for carrying inside a vehicle. Whether it's your car, a bus, or a taxi.

-Richard-

Post imported post

At 18 my parent's refused to buy me a pistol like they did a rifle at 16. Because of my belief in the oc law. Since i could not legally buy a normal pistol myself until i am 21 i support the oc law with a air power bb pistol. From a second stand point i support this option more. It has the same purpose but less bang. But it will give him the carry feal and see how he act's with it before giving him a normal one.

Post imported post

miken9660 wrote:
    ..., he can carry one of moms while in AZ. and one of mine here MI.
    Why does your 18-year-old want to carry a handgun?

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    miken9660 wrote:
    ..., he can carry one of moms while in AZ. and one of mine here MI.
    Why does your 18-year-old want to carry a handgun?
    HankT, why do you want to carry a handgun? I imagine the 18 year old (adult) wants to carry a handgun for the same reasons as you. Maybebecause it's his right to do so. Maybe he wants to protect himself and family.

Isn't this the type of question thatwe hear fromLEO andsheeple?

Activist Member

Post imported post

JonseyMcFly wrote:
    At 18 my parent's refused to buy me a pistol like they did a rifle at 16. Because of my belief in the oc law. Since i could not legally buy a normal pistol myself until i am 21 i support the oc law with a air power bb pistol. From a second stand point i support this option more.* It has the same purpose but less bang. But it will give him the carry feal and see how he act's with it before giving him a normal one.
    At 18 you are an adult. Your parents do not need to buy one for you. Federal law prohibits dealers from selling to you, but since you live in Wyoming where private sales are legal as is handgun ownership at 18, you can buy a used handgun from someone who is selling one face to face. Maybe check local classifieds.

Moderator / Administrator

Post imported post

miken9660 wrote:
    r6, you totally missed the point of the question, yes he is able to carry but does it have to be in his name?
    Unless your state has "registration," only a few do and usually not for all guns, then the statement "in his name" has no meaning.

Just like any other tool in your home, guns are usually not "in anybody's name."

Post imported post

JonseyMcFly wrote:
    At 18 my parent's refused to buy me a pistol like they did a rifle at 16. Because of my belief in the oc law. Since i could not legally buy a normal pistol myself until i am 21 i support the oc law with a air power bb pistol. From a second stand point i support this option more. It has the same purpose but less bang. But it will give him the carry feal and see how he act's with it before giving him a normal one.
    NEVER open carry a bb gun. If you get into a situation that requires deadly force to protect yourself, you want to have a weapon that can actually stop a threat.

Post imported post

Ian wrote:
    JonseyMcFly wrote:
    NEVER open carry a bb gun. If you get into a situation that requires deadly force to protect yourself, you want to have a weapon that can actually stop a threat.
    I would rather carry my bb gun until i turn 21, Or can find a private dealer. Couse i would rather have that to try to hit a hand holding a weapon or a eye, Then be totally defenseless.

Post imported post

No, McFly. NO BB gun carry. None. Bad JuJu.:shock:

Post imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
    JonseyMcFly wrote:
    At 18 you are an adult. Your parents do not need to buy one for you. Federal law prohibits dealers from selling to you, but since you live in Wyoming where private sales are legal as is handgun ownership at 18, you can buy a used handgun from someone who is selling one face to face. Maybe check local classifieds.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't sell a handgun to an 18-year-old, as allowed by state law. There are two exceptions I can think of but, generally, I'd pass on the wonderful opportunity.

I certainly would not sell a handgun to an 18-year-old whose parents wouldn't buy him one as McFly describes.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

JonseyMcFly wrote:
    I would rather carry my bb gun until i turn 21, Or can find a private dealer. Couse i would rather have that to try to hit a hand holding a weapon or a eye, Then be totally defenseless.
    McFly, you don't even want to try that with a real gun!:what:

You've been watching way waaayyy too many westerns. In the real world, trying to shoot a BG's weapon out of his hand will get you killed, because you'll miss. Always carry a REAL gun and always aim for Center of Mass (COM)

Post imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
    JonseyMcFly wrote:
    McFly, you don't even want to try that with a real gun!:what:

You've been watching way waaayyy too many westerns. In the real world, trying to shoot a BG's weapon out of his hand will get you killed, because you'll miss. Always carry a REAL gun and always aim for Center of Mass (COM)

I know, But my point is i would rather have the bb then NOTHING!

Post imported post

no dude your better having nothing, that way your less of a target. besides the media would have a field day with someone getting shot by a bg for drawing his bb gun...

best advice i can give, join the army and learn how not to be "that guy"

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
    No, McFly. NO BB gun carry. None. Bad JuJu.:shock:
    A lot like carrying a wooden sword IMO. :?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Fine, Fine, Fine. still got my hunting knife.

Post imported post

All y'all's 18? Enlist 'n carry an M4... or somethin' even more serious. None of this 'mommy 'n daddy's gun' crap.

And youwith the BB gun... WTF? 'You think this is a game?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast