• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what can my 18yr old son carry?

miken9660

imported post

I've looked through a lot of threads but nothing on this subject, can my 18 year old son carry a pistol that is legally registered to either his mom or I or does it need to be registered in his name?

miken9660

imported post

I'm in Michigan, son and his mom are in Arizona, but he's only there for the summer (unless he finds a job)

r6-rider

imported post

whats a "registered"

haha just playing, out here in the desert no one registers their weapons or cares for that matter. ill make this as clear as possible, at 18 years of age your son is 100% legal to OPEN carry a pistol or rifle.

this is assuming he has a clear record of course, which honestly, the cops wouldnt bug him anyways but im not implying he do that if he does have felonies or a charge forbidding him from carrying.

where abouts in AZ is he at?

miken9660

imported post

r6, you totally missed the point of the question, yes he is able to carry but does it have to be in his name? can he carry a loaner?

rpyne

imported post

Arizona, like most free states, has no gun registration. As long as the gun isn't stolen, he can carry it.

Michigander

imported post

Yes, of course he can carry, it's Arizona, the state known around the country for open carrying. Please tell him I said to do it responsibly and often.

office888

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Yes, of course he can carry, it's Arizona, the state known around the country for open carrying. Please tell him I said to do it responsibly and often.
Michigander
3068.jpg

Joined:Sat Aug 25th, 2007 Location:Oakland County, Michigan USA Posts:1911 Status: Offline
Nice post count, I approve! Haahaa.

As long as he's responsible, educated about the law, and has sufficient practice with his sidearm, I don't see why he shouldn't carry. I'd rather advise it. We don't have anywhere near enough people in the 18-21 age bracket in Michigan, OC'ing.

-Richard, 20yo-

miken9660

imported post

thanks NavyLt, THAT was the answer i was looking for, he can carry one of moms while in AZ. and one of mine here MI.

office888

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
miken9660 wrote:
thanks NavyLt, THAT was the answer i was looking for, he can carry one of moms while in AZ. and one of mine here MI.

SWEEET!

The maps on the homepage here say that a license is required to carry in a vehicle in Michigan, so you might want to check that out further.
That is correct. CPL is required in Michigan for carrying inside a vehicle. Whether it's your car, a bus, or a taxi.

-Richard-

JonseyMcFly

imported post

At 18 my parent's refused to buy me a pistol like they did a rifle at 16. Because of my belief in the oc law. Since i could not legally buy a normal pistol myself until i am 21 i support the oc law with a air power bb pistol. From a second stand point i support this option more. It has the same purpose but less bang. But it will give him the carry feal and see how he act's with it before giving him a normal one.

TFED12

imported post

HankT wrote:
miken9660 wrote:
..., he can carry one of moms while in AZ. and one of mine here MI.
Why does your 18-year-old want to carry a handgun?

HankT, why do you want to carry a handgun? I imagine the 18 year old (adult) wants to carry a handgun for the same reasons as you. Maybebecause it's his right to do so. Maybe he wants to protect himself and family.

Isn't this the type of question thatwe hear fromLEO andsheeple?

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

JonseyMcFly wrote:
At 18 my parent's refused to buy me a pistol like they did a rifle at 16. Because of my belief in the oc law. Since i could not legally buy a normal pistol myself until i am 21 i support the oc law with a air power bb pistol. From a second stand point i support this option more.  It has the same purpose but less bang. But it will give him the carry feal and see how he act's with it before giving him a normal one.

At 18 you are an adult. Your parents do not need to buy one for you. Federal law prohibits dealers from selling to you, but since you live in Wyoming where private sales are legal as is handgun ownership at 18, you can buy a used handgun from someone who is selling one face to face. Maybe check local classifieds.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

miken9660 wrote:
r6, you totally missed the point of the question, yes he is able to carry but does it have to be in his name?
Unless your state has "registration," only a few do and usually not for all guns, then the statement "in his name" has no meaning.

Just like any other tool in your home, guns are usually not "in anybody's name."

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

JonseyMcFly wrote:
At 18 my parent's refused to buy me a pistol like they did a rifle at 16. Because of my belief in the oc law. Since i could not legally buy a normal pistol myself until i am 21 i support the oc law with a air power bb pistol. From a second stand point i support this option more. It has the same purpose but less bang. But it will give him the carry feal and see how he act's with it before giving him a normal one.
NEVER open carry a bb gun. If you get into a situation that requires deadly force to protect yourself, you want to have a weapon that can actually stop a threat.

JonseyMcFly

imported post

Ian wrote:
JonseyMcFly wrote:
NEVER open carry a bb gun. If you get into a situation that requires deadly force to protect yourself, you want to have a weapon that can actually stop a threat.
I would rather carry my bb gun until i turn 21, Or can find a private dealer. Couse i would rather have that to try to hit a hand holding a weapon or a eye, Then be totally defenseless.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
JonseyMcFly wrote:

At 18 you are an adult. Your parents do not need to buy one for you. Federal law prohibits dealers from selling to you, but since you live in Wyoming where private sales are legal as is handgun ownership at 18, you can buy a used handgun from someone who is selling one face to face. Maybe check local classifieds.

Generally speaking, I wouldn't sell a handgun to an 18-year-old, as allowed by state law. There are two exceptions I can think of but, generally, I'd pass on the wonderful opportunity.

I certainly would not sell a handgun to an 18-year-old whose parents wouldn't buy him one as McFly describes.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

JonseyMcFly wrote:
I would rather carry my bb gun until i turn 21, Or can find a private dealer. Couse i would rather have that to try to hit a hand holding a weapon or a eye, Then be totally defenseless.
McFly, you don't even want to try that with a real gun!:what:

You've been watching way waaayyy too many westerns. In the real world, trying to shoot a BG's weapon out of his hand will get you killed, because you'll miss. Always carry a REAL gun and always aim for Center of Mass (COM)

:banghead::banghead::banghead: