• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what can my 18yr old son carry?

JonseyMcFly

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
JonseyMcFly wrote:
I would rather carry my bb gun until i turn 21, Or can find a private dealer. Couse i would rather have that to try to hit a hand holding a weapon or a eye, Then be totally defenseless.
McFly, you don't even want to try that with a real gun!:what:

You've been watching way waaayyy too many westerns. In the real world, trying to shoot a BG's weapon out of his hand will get you killed, because you'll miss. Always carry a REAL gun and always aim for Center of Mass (COM)

:banghead::banghead::banghead:
I know, But my point is i would rather have the bb then NOTHING!

r6-rider

imported post

no dude your better having nothing, that way your less of a target. besides the media would have a field day with someone getting shot by a bg for drawing his bb gun...

best advice i can give, join the army and learn how not to be "that guy"

Sonora Rebel

imported post

All y'all's 18? Enlist 'n carry an M4... or somethin' even more serious. None of this 'mommy 'n daddy's gun' crap.

And youwith the BB gun... WTF? 'You think this is a game?

protector84

imported post

HankT wrote:
Generally speaking, I wouldn't sell a handgun to an 18-year-old, as allowed by state law.
Generally speaking, I wouldn't sell a handgun to HankT, as allowed by state law.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

protector84 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Generally speaking, I wouldn't sell a handgun to an 18-year-old, as allowed by state law. There are two exceptions I can think of but, generally, I'd pass on the wonderful opportunity.

I certainly would not sell a handgun to an 18-year-old whose parents wouldn't buy him one as McFly describes.
Generally speaking, I wouldn't sell a handgun to HankT, as allowed by state law.

You probably don't have anything I want, P84. Um, just a guess.

Would you sell a handgun to a guy like Jonsey McFly,whose parents specifically declined to buy him one?

sassy1

imported post

new LA carrier. no permit yet. if i open carry can i get into any trouble

sassy1

imported post

new to site. new LA carrier. don't have permit yet. if i open carry can i get into any trouble:?

sassy1

imported post

new LA carrier---need help

Task Force 16 wrote:
JonseyMcFly wrote:
I would rather carry my bb gun until i turn 21, Or can find a private dealer. Couse i would rather have that to try to hit a hand holding a weapon or a eye, Then be totally defenseless.
McFly, you don't even want to try that with a real gun!:what:

You've been watching way waaayyy too many westerns. In the real world, trying to shoot a BG's weapon out of his hand will get you killed, because you'll miss. Always carry a REAL gun and always aim for Center of Mass (COM)

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

r6-rider

imported post

HankT wrote:
protector84 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Generally speaking, I wouldn't sell a handgun to an 18-year-old, as allowed by state law. There are two exceptions I can think of but, generally, I'd pass on the wonderful opportunity.

I certainly would not sell a handgun to an 18-year-old whose parents wouldn't buy him one as McFly describes.

Would you sell a handgun to a guy like Jonsey McFly,whose parents specifically declined to buy him one?
why not? how can you judge what kind of person he is based on age? what if his parents are just libtards that hate guns? when i sell guns, i always have a small conversation on the phone before hand to determine who im dealing with and to make sure they are at least 18.

a couple months ago i was selling a berreta to this guy and right before we did the actual deal he asked me how old i was, i said 18, and he completely backed out of the deal because he couldnt grasp the idea of someone under 21 owning a handgun.

David West

imported post

I might be a little late chiming in on this thread, but I figured I would since I'm 19 and I've been open carrying in Oregon for the last year an a half. Your son's best bet would be to find a non-FFL holder selling a handgun and purchase it from him. Contrary to what most people seem to think, the minimum age to own a handgun in most states is 18, not 21, but federal law prohibits FFL holders from selling handguns (or ammo for a handgun) to anyone under 21. There are some pretty good internet gun-classified services out there. I just picked up a CZ-75 yesterday I found on Northwest firearms (not that that it'll do him much good being in Arizona). Auctionarms.com is a pretty good site that should have a decent selection of guns. Just be sure to know the laws and explain them to any prospective sellers so they know an 18 year old can legally buy a handgun. The last thing you want is for a guy to turn him down or try calling the cops when he realizes he's 18.

rpyne

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
David West wrote:
Just be sure to know the laws and explain them to any prospective sellers so they know an 18 year old can legally buy a handgun. The last thing you want is for a guy to turn him down or try calling the cops when he realizes he's 18.
Let him call the cops. It would be an educational experience for the caller.
Yes, an education in mis-information. The vast majority of cops do not know gun laws.

r6-rider

imported post

iv been turned down plenty of times when trying to buy pistols, its just a hit or miss. but as far as calling the cops? i HIGHLY doubt that, plus you would be gone long before they got there anyways. besides the cops down here are all educated on the state law and from the ones iv met/worked with are also very reasonable and have basic common sense. the guy who called would more than likely get his a$$ chewed out for wasting their time

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

r6-rider wrote:
HankT wrote:
protector84 wrote:

why not? how can you judge what kind of person he is based on age? what if his parents are just libtards that hate guns? when i sell guns, i always have a small conversation on the phone before hand to determine who im dealing with and to make sure they are at least 18.
I am using the criterion, as I mentioned, that his own parents won't buy him the handgun--even though they bought him arifle earlier.

That's what they call, r6r, .....a clue.

r6-rider wrote:
a couple months ago i was selling a berreta to this guy and right before we did the actual deal he asked me how old i was, i said 18, and he completely backed out of the deal because he couldnt grasp the idea of someone under 21 owning a handgun.

Yah, I would agree with the guy, insofar as he did not want to do a gun transaction with a youngster of 18. High level of perceived risk.....

Of course, whatever state law says about allowableownership by an 18-year-old is a substantiallydifferent issue. If the law says you can do, and you acquire the gun legally, you're good to go. Hardly anybody will really dispute that.

But, fFrom what I've seen in my many and continuing forays into the private sale market, it seemsvery common for sellers and buyers who have a high degree of responsibility and good judgment to avoid dealing with 18-20 year olds. I do the same. But, hey, it's up to each person to decide...

r6-rider

imported post

HankT wrote:
I am using the criterion, as I mentioned, that his own parents won't buy him the handgun--even though they bought him arifle earlier.
yes and i understand that part. if someone told me their parents denied buying them a pistol i too would be suspicious, but depending on the person it might not mean anything to me. if he seemed like an ok person and it was just a situation of liberal parents or even parents who are ok with guns but dont want him OCing, then i would probably be ok with selling to him. but if he acts immature and jumpy/excited when he sees a gun and starts saying stuff like nine and fo-dee then im going to walk away.

and as for being turned down myself well... the berreta i was trying to sell him was purchased legally from a store then "gifted" to me which i ended up not liking to much so i decided to sell it. threw the reciept away so there wasnt any proof of it being "legal" i guess you can say. but even if i had it, some people just cant believe that an 18-20 year old can legally own and carry a pistol, that there has to be some law prohibiting it they just dont know what is it (which was the case for me)

heliopolissolutions

imported post

One thing I am curious about ,is the legality of UOC by a person under 21 but above 18 in California.

I understand ownership of a pistol is limited to 21+.
I believe however that it is lawful for a 18-20 year old to possess a loaned firearm for any lawful purpose.

I could be wrong, but could this extend to U OC?

heliopolissolutions

imported post

Yep.

I like it when I interpret the law correctly.

Aha, but they may not lawfully borrow and carry a firearm lent from an out of stater?