Thread: Digital Voice Recorder

Post imported post

I was in Costco in Orem this afternoon and saw that they are carrying the Olympus VN5200-PC Digital Voice Recorder for $38.99.

This is an excellent recorder for Open Carry use. It has a very long battery life and long record time. I have had one of these for several months and found it to be a good recorder. I can start it recording and put it in my pocket while I go about my business. It has every feature you could want for Open Carry recording.

Centurion

Post imported post

Does this recorder allow the screen to be blank when in VOX record mode?

I have a Sony recorder I bought from Wal-mart that has many features but... THE SCREEN SCREAMS IT IS RECORDING and that bugs me!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Post imported post

I use my phone now it does the trick and I can email it very quickly where it needs to go.

Zach
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
    Does this recorder allow the screen to be blank when in VOX record mode?

I have a Sony recorder I bought from Wal-mart that has many features but... THE SCREEN SCREAMS IT IS RECORDING and that bugs me!
    Unfortunately, the screen does stay on while in VOX record though there is no light on the screen. It doesn't actually say recording, but there is a small LED that flashes when it is waiting for sound and on steady when it is recording. It is not real bright, so it doesn't make it hard to ignore. A small piece of tape would easily cover the LED.

Post imported post

Just curious: why would you want a recorder while carrying? (IMO I've already got enough that I'm carrying: gum, keys, wallet, firearm, extra mag, toys, diaper bag etc. I've gotenough to worry about, let alone trying to remember to reach in my pocket and turn it on: plusif I was in an encounter the last thing I would be doing is reaching in my pocket, I'd keep my hands where they can be seen. I know anything you say can be used against you: so IMO be cooperative but don't say anything and get a lawyer...

Isit for recording LE encounters? (Now Iknow Utahis a One party notification state: butI'm pretty surethat only pertains to cellphone/telephone).

So is itperfectly okay to record conversations in person? If doing that won't those be in-admissible in court?

Post imported post

You are free to record any conversation that you are taking part in without notifying the other party/parties. Doesn't matter if the conversation is over the phone, internet, in person, etc...

Carry on.

Post imported post

it a great way to look over the encounter later when everyone has calmed down and review the incident for issues. or a beeter way to handle it in the future.

Thanks

Zachary
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
    Just curious: why would you want a recorder while carrying? (IMO I've already got enough that I'm carrying: gum, keys, wallet, firearm, extra mag, toys, diaper bag etc. I've gotenough to worry about, let alone trying to remember to reach in my pocket and turn it on: plusif I was in an encounter the last thing I would be doing is reaching in my pocket, I'd keep my hands where they can be seen. I know anything you say can be used against you: so IMO be cooperative but don't say anything and get a lawyer...

Isit for recording LE encounters? (Now Iknow Utahis a One party notification state: butI'm pretty surethat only pertains to cellphone/telephone).

So is itperfectly okay to record conversations in person? If doing that won't those be in-admissible in court?
    Recorders are a great tool. I turn mine on when I leave the house and turn it off when I get back. No reaching in my pockets needed.

Post imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
    bmeldrum wrote:
    Just curious: why would you want a recorder while carrying? (IMO I've already got enough that I'm carrying: gum, keys, wallet, firearm, extra mag, toys, diaper bag etc. I've got¬*enough to worry about, let alone trying to remember to reach in my pocket and turn it on: plus¬*if I was in an encounter the last thing I would be doing is reaching in my pocket, I'd keep my hands where they can be seen. I know anything you say can be used against you: so IMO be cooperative but don't say anything and get a lawyer...

Is¬*it for recording LE encounters? (Now I¬*know Utah¬*is a One party notification state: but¬*I'm pretty sure¬*that only pertains to cellphone/telephone).

So is it¬*perfectly okay to record conversations in person? If doing that won't those be in-admissible in court?
    Recorders are a great tool.¬* I turn mine on when I leave the house and turn it off when I get back.¬* No reaching in my pockets needed.
    Is your recorder voice activated, or does it just continuously record everything you do? :shock: I'm assuming at the end of the day, if nothing of note happened, you erase it, and start over the next day?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

NormanXDm wrote:
    jaredbelch wrote:
    bmeldrum wrote:

Recorders are a great tool. I turn mine on when I leave the house and turn it off when I get back. No reaching in my pockets needed.
    Is your recorder voice activated, or does it just continuously record everything you do? :shock: I'm assuming at the end of the day, if nothing of note happened, you erase it, and start over the next day?
    Bingo on the second one. I've found that the VOX function doesn't work too well so it runs nonstop.

Post imported post

The VOX function works perfectly on mine.

It worked quite well to record the THX vs. The Cows LE encounter.

Post imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
    jaredbelch wrote:
    Bingo on the second one. I've found that the VOX function doesn't work too well so it runs nonstop.
    I have the originally mentioned recorder and the VOX works great (the threshold is adjustable). Like jaredbelch, I turn my recorder on when I leave the house or car.