• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Digital Voice Recorder

rpyne

imported post

I was in Costco in Orem this afternoon and saw that they are carrying the Olympus VN5200-PC Digital Voice Recorder for $38.99.

This is an excellent recorder for Open Carry use. It has a very long battery life and long record time. I have had one of these for several months and found it to be a good recorder. I can start it recording and put it in my pocket while I go about my business. It has every feature you could want for Open Carry recording.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

Does this recorder allow the screen to be blank when in VOX record mode?

I have a Sony recorder I bought from Wal-mart that has many features but... THE SCREEN SCREAMS IT IS RECORDING and that bugs me!

rpyne

imported post

JoeSparky wrote:
Does this recorder allow the screen to be blank when in VOX record mode?

I have a Sony recorder I bought from Wal-mart that has many features but... THE SCREEN SCREAMS IT IS RECORDING and that bugs me!
Unfortunately, the screen does stay on while in VOX record though there is no light on the screen. It doesn't actually say recording, but there is a small LED that flashes when it is waiting for sound and on steady when it is recording. It is not real bright, so it doesn't make it hard to ignore. A small piece of tape would easily cover the LED.

bmeldrum

imported post

Just curious: why would you want a recorder while carrying? (IMO I've already got enough that I'm carrying: gum, keys, wallet, firearm, extra mag, toys, diaper bag etc. I've gotenough to worry about, let alone trying to remember to reach in my pocket and turn it on: plusif I was in an encounter the last thing I would be doing is reaching in my pocket, I'd keep my hands where they can be seen. I know anything you say can be used against you: so IMO be cooperative but don't say anything and get a lawyer...

Isit for recording LE encounters? (Now Iknow Utahis a One party notification state: butI'm pretty surethat only pertains to cellphone/telephone).

So is itperfectly okay to record conversations in person? If doing that won't those be in-admissible in court?

ScottyT

imported post

You are free to record any conversation that you are taking part in without notifying the other party/parties. Doesn't matter if the conversation is over the phone, internet, in person, etc...

Carry on.

Utah_Patriot

imported post

it a great way to look over the encounter later when everyone has calmed down and review the incident for issues. or a beeter way to handle it in the future.

Thanks

Zachary

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

bmeldrum wrote:
Just curious: why would you want a recorder while carrying? (IMO I've already got enough that I'm carrying: gum, keys, wallet, firearm, extra mag, toys, diaper bag etc. I've gotenough to worry about, let alone trying to remember to reach in my pocket and turn it on: plusif I was in an encounter the last thing I would be doing is reaching in my pocket, I'd keep my hands where they can be seen. I know anything you say can be used against you: so IMO be cooperative but don't say anything and get a lawyer...

Isit for recording LE encounters? (Now Iknow Utahis a One party notification state: butI'm pretty surethat only pertains to cellphone/telephone).

So is itperfectly okay to record conversations in person? If doing that won't those be in-admissible in court?
Recorders are a great tool. I turn mine on when I leave the house and turn it off when I get back. No reaching in my pockets needed.

NormanXDm

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
bmeldrum wrote:
Just curious: why would you want a recorder while carrying? (IMO I've already got enough that I'm carrying: gum, keys, wallet, firearm, extra mag, toys, diaper bag etc. I've got enough to worry about, let alone trying to remember to reach in my pocket and turn it on: plus if I was in an encounter the last thing I would be doing is reaching in my pocket, I'd keep my hands where they can be seen. I know anything you say can be used against you: so IMO be cooperative but don't say anything and get a lawyer...

Is it for recording LE encounters? (Now I know Utah is a One party notification state: but I'm pretty sure that only pertains to cellphone/telephone).

So is it perfectly okay to record conversations in person? If doing that won't those be in-admissible in court?
Recorders are a great tool.  I turn mine on when I leave the house and turn it off when I get back.  No reaching in my pockets needed.

Is your recorder voice activated, or does it just continuously record everything you do? :shock: I'm assuming at the end of the day, if nothing of note happened, you erase it, and start over the next day?

jaredbelch

Founder's Club Member
imported post

NormanXDm wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
bmeldrum wrote:

Recorders are a great tool. I turn mine on when I leave the house and turn it off when I get back. No reaching in my pockets needed.

Is your recorder voice activated, or does it just continuously record everything you do? :shock: I'm assuming at the end of the day, if nothing of note happened, you erase it, and start over the next day?
Bingo on the second one. I've found that the VOX function doesn't work too well so it runs nonstop.

thx997303

imported post

The VOX function works perfectly on mine.

It worked quite well to record the THX vs. The Cows LE encounter.

rpyne

imported post

jaredbelch wrote:
jaredbelch wrote:
Bingo on the second one. I've found that the VOX function doesn't work too well so it runs nonstop.
I have the originally mentioned recorder and the VOX works great (the threshold is adjustable). Like jaredbelch, I turn my recorder on when I leave the house or car.