• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Academy Sports

Cornelius

imported post

I'm a new memeber after I heard a spokesperson on Supertalk Ms. recently Just thought I would run this incidentby some of my fellow OC/CC brothers.

Several months ago I went to Academy Sports in Jackson and i had my firearm in my holster on my hip, there are no signs posted prohibiting firearms on the premises as firearms are sold at this location. I had been in the store not 5 minutes when an employee walked up to me and asked me if I was a police officer, I replied no, and then she asked me what i did for a living and i informed her that i work at a local country club. She then informed me that it she thought it was illegal to have my firearm inside the store. I informed her that i had a license to carry and that the store didnt have a sign posted restricting firearms. We then continued to have light conversation and she helped me find the item I was looking for, and I left her area.

I then proceeded to another area to continue shopping. As i was shopping a manager walked up to me and said that firearms were prohibited in the store unless I was a LEO. I then asked him about the firearms that they sell. He informed me that the store doesnt give the firearm to the customer inside the store but instead walks the customer outside and then gives them the purchased firearm.In an effort to not cause a scene I left the store.

Once I reached home I went to the academy website and filled out a customer complaint so that i could get clarification on the store's policy of selling firearms but not allowing OC by law abiding citizens, only to LEOs. Well after a few emails I recieved a reply from M. Wade Turner stating that:

Academy has reviewed and investigated the incident that you reported, and we have discussed the issue with our store personnel. As I understand, you were carrying a holstered handgun in open view during a visit to our store, and one of our store associates asked you to not do so. Your communication asks about Academy’s policy in this regard.

Academy’s policy is that customers who possess a license to carry a handgun are permitted to carry the firearm on their person at all Academy locations in states where the law permits. It is our understanding that in Mississippi, residents who possess a firearm permit may carry a concealed[/b] handgun on their person, but not an open[/b] handgun. To be sure, after receiving your communication, we contacted the Mississippi Department of Safety on April 20, 2009, and the Department confirmed that open handguns are not permitted in the State. As a result, our policy in Mississippi is that customers may carry concealed handguns but not handguns in open view, and our store associate was simply following this policy when he asked you about your firearm.

Sorry for the long post but my main reason for this post was to find out if anyone else felt as though the stated store policy isnt actually following what the law they say they are following states? I am asking this because I have also ran into problems with a manager about my CC in the Kroger's grocery store in Flowood when al that was exposed was the bulge from my holster. So I'm looking for clarification i suppose since what i interperated the law to be doesnt seem to be what it is......I have also included the entire email in case anyone wants to see it.

Johnny_B

imported post

There is NO SUCH THING as open carry in mississippi, the license statute says you can't open carry, but WE CAN NOT OPEN CARRY IN MISSISSIPPI,

EVERYTHING IS CONCEALED IN MISSISSIPPI...

sorry for caps, but it's the truth :cuss::cuss:

read a few posts down about the supreme court ruling and send that back to them, it's IMPOSSIBLE to carry openly, your concealing it if you hang it by a string around your neck. By the case laws in this state you can carry it any-way you please on your hip, in your pocket, as long as you have a permit.

Your completely in compliance with the law if you have it on your hip.

Cornelius

imported post

I thought i was in compliance but as I have been reading on the site there seems to be an onging debate about open carry and encounters with LEOs. With the way the LEOs act in Flowood i just may be the first to be handcuffed/arrested for having a permit to OC/CC and actually OCing...:(lol only time will tell

Johnny_B

imported post

Cornelius wrote:
I thought i was in compliance but as I have been reading on the site there seems to be an onging debate about open carry and encounters with LEOs. With the way the LEOs act in Flowood i just may be the first to be handcuffed/arrested for having a permit to OC/CC and actually OCing...:(lol only time will tell

Yeah, we debate it quite extensively, but in the end the law, and case law, is against open carry. However, we can "openly" conceal carry in Mississippi :)

The statue says "Concealed in whole, or in part" so, wham-o your a law abiding citizen if you have a permit.

We want unlicensed opencarry, but that'll only happen if the legislature changes thing, which is unlikely.

davidde

Academy Carry

Call it Open or not, wish we could get past some of the symantecs, allbeit they are important, i iknow.

I have a permit and hoster carry all the time.

Anyhow, I go in that academy all the time with a XDm in a serpa and never have issues.... for what it's worth.

Last edited:

Cornelius

Interesting, well I haven't done it since that day, wouldn't mind visiting the store when you are already in to see what/if any reaction I would get from management then.