• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More fuel for anti gun politics.... damn it.

John Wolver

imported post

Just what we need in this current climate.. something for us to keep an eye on as always.

4 Killed, 10 Others Shot at Pittsburgh-Area Gym
Wednesday, August 05, 2009
service_ap_36.gif

AP

Aug. 4: Nancy Smith, right, hugs her daughter Tracey outside of the L.A. Fitness Center in Bridgeville, Pa.

#story .gallery_container p.caption{display:none !important;}
#story .gallery_container p.strut{color:#000;}

Aug. 4: Nancy Smith, right, hugs her daughter Tracey outside of the L.A. Fitness Center in Bridgeville, Pa.

BRIDGEVILLE, Pennsylvania— An armed man strolled to the back of an exercise class at a health club in suburban Pittsburgh on Tuesday night and then pulled out two guns and started spraying bullets, leaving four people dead, including himself, and injuring at least 10 others, authorities said.[/b]

A law enforcement official said two women and a man believed to be the shooter died at the scene Tuesday night and a fourth person died on the way to a hospital. The official wasn't authorized to comment on the investigation into the shooting and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Allegheny County police Superintendent Charles Moffatt said the shooter did not say anything before unleashing a burst of bullets.

"He walked right into the room where the shootings occurred as if he knew exactly where he was going," Moffatt said.

Three bodies were removed early Wednesday from the L.A. Fitness Center in Bridgeville, a community of about 5,000 residents not far from downtown Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh International Airport.

A woman with a chest wound died at St. Clair Hospital, where two other female victims were in stable condition, spokesman Rich Sieber said.

Five victims arrived in critical condition at UPMC Mercy Hospital, and two women were listed in fair condition at Allegheny General Hospital, hospital officials said.

var adsonar_placementId="1425767",adsonar_pid="144757",adsonar_ps="-1",adsonar_zw=224;adsonar_zh=93,adsonar_jv="ads.adsonar.com";
qas_writeAd();

Joann Gazzam, who was taking part in the weekly Latin impact dance exercise class, saw the gunman walk to the back of the room near some weights, set down a bag and fumbled with it for a few minutes before coming up with what appeared to be two guns and opening fire, according to her sister, Debi Wozniak, of suburban Dormont.

Gazzam told Wozniak that the instructor was among those who appeared to have been shot, and that the gunman had killed himself.

"She told me, 'Debi, I seen everything. Oh, my God, I seen everything. I seen him pull out the guns,"' said Wozniak, who usually attends the class but was running late Tuesday and didn't make it.

Moffatt said police recovered two guns from the scene. He would not discuss a possible motive for the shooting, whose victims hadn't been identified.

"As you can imagine in a fitness club, they don't have identification on them," he said.

Loretta Moss, 44, of McDonald, said she was exercising on a treadmill when she heard a popping noise.

"I didn't pay any attention, and the next minute, people were screaming," said Moss, who had come to the gym Tuesday night for the first time in a couple of weeks. She said she then heard more pops.

"There was like a whole spray of them. I'd say about 15 altogether, and then people started screaming and yelling and started running out the building," she said.

"We laid down, and then after the last set of ... gunshots, we got up, and someone said run."

Moss said she then saw two young women bleeding, one shot in the leg and one in the shoulder. She said she checked on the pulse of the lady shot in the leg.

"She was screaming, 'It's burning, just please call the ambulance,"' Moss said.

Richard Walker of Tulsa, Oklahoma, who is in the area working on oil rigs, was playing basketball near the exercise room when he heard shots.

"The next thing I know, everybody's going, 'Run, run,"' he said. He said heard about 12 shots before he started moving and another eight or nine as he was leaving the building. He led a woman who had been shot in the thigh outside the building about 50 yards.

"She just kept saying, 'He's gonna kill me."' Walker said she didn't elaborate.

Brad Bolt of Dormont and Phil Fagan of Green Tree, both 20, were working out in a room next to the room where the shooting happened. They both said they heard about a dozen rapidly fired shots and Fagan said a girl came running out of the exercise room, yelling "Shots fired, call 911, get out."

The fitness center, which opened last year, is in a strip mall called the Great Southern Shopping Center, where a few businesses were destroyed in a 2006 fire. The fitness center said in a statement: "Each of us in the LA Fitness family are shocked and saddened by the senseless acts of violence that took place."

Allegheny County Chief Executive Dan Onorato, who was out of town on vacation with his family, was briefed by police after the shootings, which he called "an unspeakable tragedy."

"I ask everyone to keep those affected by this tragic event in their thoughts and prayers," he said.:X

brockgl

imported post

I actually think stories like this help to support the side of pro-gunners. We are the ones telling citizens that they need to be armed for situations like these! This just reinforces my decision to keep my kel-tec in my smartcarry holster while I exercise at the gym!

Statesman

imported post

brockgl wrote:
I actually think stories like this help to support the side of pro-gunners. We are the ones telling citizens that they need to be armed for situations like these! This just reinforces my decision to keep my kel-tec in my smartcarry holster while I exercise at the gym!
+1

This event should be touted as a reason to carry defensively, to stop people like this. Just because 0.004% (I think I recall this right) of guns are used in crimes, that doesn't mean we should ban all the ones used to protect lives.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

[align=left]I think someone told me my gym had one of those stickers on it, but I still haven't seen it... ;) Carry everywhere, and be ready for anything. If you don't have a CHP, get one for those times when there may or may not be sticker telling you to give up your rights.
[/align]

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

He was probobly whacked out on steroids!! thats why he did it the gun didn't make him do it! just kidding. But on a serious note, I think this strengthens our position. Look it's a wild world out there, we are a free society and thats part of what may sadly come with it. So........ we can either stop being a free society and put police at every door to every place to search everyone or we could just heighten our awareness and carry. I choose the second.I'm not a religous guy but some people don't understand. THIS IS NOT HEAVEN!! We are still considered animals, we have not and never will achieve peace in society in this current world. Nor do I strive to sacrifice so much for peace.

Just live and make sure your still living because you never know when your last day may be.

Ben

SlackwareRobert

imported post

+1
It gives us more proof the cops don't show up till after the threat is over.

But I now need to add, total darkness muzzle flash aiming to my training. :cuss:
BG really has one up in these cases, he doesn't care what is hit.

Any suggestions on bg gun luminosity settings?

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I guess we'll never know if this was a "GFZ", but unfortunately, even if someone was inside w/ a CHL, most people would stick their weapon in a locker or leave it in a car. Gym clothes don't work well for concealed carry, and doing excersize makes it worse.

I agree, carry everywhere, and exersize at home.

John Wolver

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
Really? I thought PA First Class Cities were essentially GFZ. The pro-gun community will be blamed for this, you think?

Your post would get more attention if you would play the headline and description straight.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum46/29463.html

Well in your opinion it might, but it got your attention and a lot more by putting it in the right place in the forum.

And I think anti-gun nuts will take any leverage they can get to attack guns and our rights.

Pol Mordreth

imported post

Doug,

Pittsburgh isn't a first class city (yet). (insert joke here) Has to have a pop. of >1 million.

Not that it really matters, though...

regards,

Pol

Erus

imported post

Shooter was a complete loon.
The text of his blog:

http://www.shabooty.com./

Mentally unbalanced people can not legally own firearms.
Either he lied on his forms, obtained his guns illegally, or was just lucky enough not to be outed as a mental patient before all this happened.

Personally, I agree that while it will certainly be used to propel the anti agenda, the facts support just the opposite point of view.

It may be rare like a lightning strike, but it does happen that dangerous people often lurk among us.

No better argument for being prepared if you ask me. (which I certainly acknowledge that no one did)

Flyer22

imported post

Referencing the title of the thread, I'm not sure that it really matters. I would hope by now that everybody has gotten over "it can't happen here."

Now, of course, the media still play up every incident, but it seems to me that random-fire incidents are starting to take on the same impact and emotional weightas car accidents.

Virginiaplanter

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:

That was a quite an interesting read and insight. Assuming what he wrote is true about his life he was obviously abandoned and abused by his family. He mentioned his male family members, but generally his hatred of women would have come from by abuse from his mother or female members. He never mentions his mother's role or the role she played in the family dynamics. That she ever stood up for him against the abuse. He never mentions that he ever sought psychological help. He exibits many cognitive distortions about himself, his life and future.

His references and love for Obama and hatred of rightwingers must make the liberals cringe. A liberal Jihadist for Obama.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm noticing an interesting trend in 'mass' shootings lately. The shooter is dead by his/her own hand, and all the damage done, before the cops are even close to getting there....

Jsut more proof that we should all carry a weapon; the cops are, in spite of all intentions, completely useless for preventing these types of incidents.