• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age my son can carry..

desert-prospector

(City of the Crosses), Las Cruces New Mexico, USA
imported post

Not to be misleading in the subject line, but I gotta know.

My son is 10 yrs old, we go into wilderness areas all the time. I carry my 45lc SAA, he usually takes his airsoft or pellet gun with him. He really wants to start taking his .22 SA in his cowboy rig.
I trust him with it and would like to know if this is a problem, is there any law preventing it in NM?
Maybe I'm stupid, but I've not found it......

imported post

NM statutes
[align=JUSTIFY]30-7-2.2. Unlawful possession of a handgun by a person; exceptions; penalty. [/align]
[align=JUSTIFY]A. Unlawful possession of a handgun by a person consists of a person knowingly having a handgun in his possession or knowingly transporting a handgun, except when the person is: [/align]
[align=JUSTIFY](1) in attendance at a hunter's safety course or a handgun safety course; [/align] [align=JUSTIFY](2) engaging in the use of a handgun for target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which the range is located or in an area where the discharge of a handgun without legal justification is not prohibited by law; [/align] [align=JUSTIFY](3) engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a handgun; [/align] [align=JUSTIFY](4) participating in or practicing for a performance by an organization that has been granted exemption from federal income tax by the United States commissioner of internal revenue as an organization described in Section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended or renumbered; [/align] [align=JUSTIFY](5) legal hunting or trapping activities; [/align] [align=JUSTIFY](6) traveling, with an unloaded handgun in his possession, to or from an activity described in Paragraph (1), (2), (3), (4) or (5) of this subsection; or [/align] [align=JUSTIFY](7) on real property under the control of the person's parent, grandparent or legal guardian and the person is being supervised by his parent, grandparent or legal guardian. [/align] [align=JUSTIFY]B. A person who commits unlawful possession of a handgun by a person is guilty of a misdemeanor. [/align] [align=JUSTIFY]C. As used in this section: [/align] [align=JUSTIFY](1) "person" means an individual who is less than nineteen years old; and [/align] [align=JUSTIFY](2) "handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or firearm which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosion and the barrel length of which, not including a revolving, detachable or magazine breech, does not exceed twelve inches. [/align]