Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green Bay School Zone Map, Can someone create one ?

Post imported post

It would nice to see where we can & cannot carry, can anyone help ?
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

If anyone could make one for Verona and Madison I'd greatly appreciate it.

Post imported post

Send me a PM with your email address and I can share the rough draft I have made.....

(legal mumbo jumbo) I am in no way shape or form responsable for the information on that map and you need to verify EvERYTHING before you carry using it ......

Honestly it is probably not good enough to use to determine where carrying is legal , but I made it mostly to see what percentage of the city os off limits

Post imported post

Let's remember that the law is that you cannot knowingly be within 1000 feet of a school while armed. Having a map would undermine the defense of ignorance. (which in this case is a valid defense) There are schools around every corner in GB, so perhaps it'd be wise to not know where every single one is.

Post imported post

RugerMan wrote:
    Let's remember that the law is that you cannot knowingly be within 1000 feet of a school while armed. Having a map would undermine the defense of ignorance. (which in this case is a valid defense) There are schools around every corner in GB, so perhaps it'd be wise to not know where every single one is.
    Reading a map and looking it over before hand is only a tool. You don't have to have it with you.

Post imported post

Passive101 wrote:
    If anyone could make one for Verona and Madison I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Maybe we could ask the police if they have one. Why do all the work if it's already been done?

Edit: I'll check with the Madison PD.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Passive101 wrote:
    RugerMan wrote:
    Reading a map and looking it over before hand is only a tool. You don't have to have it with you.

agreed. But if you do find yourself in trouble for being within a 1000 feet and you end up in court over it, the prosecutor might follow a line of questioning to uncover whether you had prior knowledge of the school zone in question. And unless you would be comfortable with perjury, one would have to disclose the study of such a map if so asked.

The Milwaukee school zone map was made for the area Law enforcement to try and discourage/catch OCers in the area. There is no requirement that we know where they are. Of course, it would be prudent to know where they are in our neighborhood.

If you want a general idea of the coverage, simply Google "school" on a map of green bay.

I'm not belittling those whom want such a map, only offering a counterpoint on whether it is such a good idea.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

How can they enforce the GFSZ law if they don't know where they are? Must have already been done. File a Chapter 19 FOIA request. Remember, it's supposed to be easy.

Post imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
    How can they enforce the GFSZ law if they don't know where they are? Must have already been done. File a Chapter 19 FOIA request. Remember, it's supposed to be easy.
    Every PO in a city knows where the schools are. If you're right next to one, they'll pick you up. If it's questionable about the distance, they'd probably have to survey for the purposes of court. They probably won't make one ahead of time unless they intend on using the law to trap OCers, or if they've already taken such a case to court.

Asking might only cause us to come under more scrutiny and harassment.

Banned

Post imported post

I think a better excuse (red-herring strawman riding a stalkinghorse) is the Department of Homeland Severity.

Wisc. Stat. 19.35 Access to records; fees. (1) RIGHT TO INSPECTION
    [ ... ]
    (i) Except as authorized under this paragraph, no request under
    pars. (a) and (b) to (f) may be refused because the person making
    the request is unwilling to be identified or to state the purpose of
    the request. Except as authorized under this paragraph, no request
    under pars. (a) to (f) may be refused because the request is
    received by mail, unless prepayment of a fee is required under sub.
    (3) (f). A requester may be required to show acceptable identification
    whenever the requested record is kept at a private residence
    or whenever security reasons or federal law or regulations so
    require.

Post imported post

I guess what I wa soriginally asking was..someone had made a detailed school zone map of Milwaukee , and thats the kind of thing I was asking for.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Post imported post

I was under the impression that it was made by the city to distribute to LEOs to trap/discourage OCers, not protect them.

Post imported post

RugerMan wrote:
    I was under the impression that it was made by the city to distribute to LEOs to trap/discourage OCers, not protect them.
    interesting , If so, then they failed, I would see that map and avoid those areas completely. I know just what they want.

Post imported post

But had you never seen the map and accidentally wondered into one of these zones, you wouldn't have been guilty of knowingly being within one.

That just shows how illogical the law is to begin with.

Banned

Post imported post

The law is an ass that lawyers ride to work.

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    RugerMan wrote:
    interesting , If so, then they failed, I would see that map and avoid those areas completely. I know just what they want.
    What if you're in a hurry one day,forget where the boundaries are, and get pulled over in the school zone for speeding? Or what if you're OCing in somebody else's car, not paying attention to the route, and he gets pulled over?

I think this is one of those situations where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    Glock34 wrote:
    RugerMan wrote:
    What if you're in a hurry one day,forget where the boundaries are, and get pulled over in the school zone for speeding? Or what if you're OCing in somebody else's car, not paying attention to the route, and he gets pulled over?

I think this is one of those situations where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
    possibly yes.

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    Glock34 wrote:
    RugerMan wrote:

Which is why repealing both the car carry ban and school zone law is a top priority for us.

Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar

Post imported post

The city has already created one as a result of the meetings we have had. When I go sign the paperwork tomorrow, I will request a copy.

Post imported post

RugerMan wrote:
    Passive101 wrote:
    RugerMan wrote:

agreed. But if you do find yourself in trouble for being within a 1000 feet and you end up in court over it, the prosecutor might follow a line of questioning to uncover whether you had prior knowledge of the school zone in question. And unless you would be comfortable with perjury, one would have to disclose the study of such a map if so asked.

The Milwaukee school zone map was made for the area Law enforcement to try and discourage/catch OCers in the area. There is no requirement that we know where they are. Of course, it would be prudent to know where they are in our neighborhood.

If you want a general idea of the coverage, simply Google "school" on a map of green bay.

I'm not belittling those whom want such a map, only offering a counterpoint on whether it is such a good idea.
    Just because you have a map doesn't mean you have memorized it. Who could memorize the Milwaukee map?

Secondly, a prosecutor's "line of questioning?" Ever heard of the 5th Amendment?

To me, it is better to be familiar with the school zones in an area you might wish to frequently carry a gun than it is to rely on the "I was ignorant" defense in court.
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Banned

Post imported post

Glock34 wrote:
    It would nice to see where we can & cannot carry, can anyone help ?
    Use Google Earth it has a ruler that measures accurately in feet. It is a great tool.

Post imported post

Make your own map ofyour city.

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm

find schools then add the radius into the map

0.1894 miles is 1000 ft

Remember the schoolzone starts at the edge of the school property.

Anyone know if a school forest counts?I live by one. Ive heard people say that you cant hunt near it because of the 1000ft rule but that could be false info. Luckily its far enought away from where I go for walks. Used this map tool to find it out. Kindahandy.

Banned

Post imported post

If the forest is owned by the school it is part of the school zone.

Banned

Post imported post

No mention of ownership counselor.

948.605 Gun−free school zones. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this
    section:
    [ ...]
    (c) “School zone” means any of the following:
    1. In or on the grounds of a school.
    2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school

Post imported post

yeah I was under the impression that the area must conform to the statutory definition of a school. Not, just a school owned piece of property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast