• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Bay School Zone Map, Can someone create one ?

Passive101

imported post

If anyone could make one for Verona and Madison I'd greatly appreciate it.

SprayAndPray

imported post

Send me a PM with your email address and I can share the rough draft I have made.....

(legal mumbo jumbo) I am in no way shape or form responsable for the information on that map and you need to verify EvERYTHING before you carry using it ......

Honestly it is probably not good enough to use to determine where carrying is legal , but I made it mostly to see what percentage of the city os off limits

RugerMan

imported post

Let's remember that the law is that you cannot knowingly be within 1000 feet of a school while armed. Having a map would undermine the defense of ignorance. (which in this case is a valid defense) There are schools around every corner in GB, so perhaps it'd be wise to not know where every single one is.

Passive101

imported post

RugerMan wrote:
Let's remember that the law is that you cannot knowingly be within 1000 feet of a school while armed. Having a map would undermine the defense of ignorance. (which in this case is a valid defense) There are schools around every corner in GB, so perhaps it'd be wise to not know where every single one is.
Reading a map and looking it over before hand is only a tool. You don't have to have it with you.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Passive101 wrote:
If anyone could make one for Verona and Madison I'd greatly appreciate it.
Maybe we could ask the police if they have one. Why do all the work if it's already been done?

Edit: I'll check with the Madison PD.

RugerMan

imported post

Passive101 wrote:
RugerMan wrote:
Reading a map and looking it over before hand is only a tool. You don't have to have it with you.

agreed. But if you do find yourself in trouble for being within a 1000 feet and you end up in court over it, the prosecutor might follow a line of questioning to uncover whether you had prior knowledge of the school zone in question. And unless you would be comfortable with perjury, one would have to disclose the study of such a map if so asked.

The Milwaukee school zone map was made for the area Law enforcement to try and discourage/catch OCers in the area. There is no requirement that we know where they are. Of course, it would be prudent to know where they are in our neighborhood.

If you want a general idea of the coverage, simply Google "school" on a map of green bay.

I'm not belittling those whom want such a map, only offering a counterpoint on whether it is such a good idea.

RugerMan

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
How can they enforce the GFSZ law if they don't know where they are? Must have already been done. File a Chapter 19 FOIA request. Remember, it's supposed to be easy.
Every PO in a city knows where the schools are. If you're right next to one, they'll pick you up. If it's questionable about the distance, they'd probably have to survey for the purposes of court. They probably won't make one ahead of time unless they intend on using the law to trap OCers, or if they've already taken such a case to court.

Asking might only cause us to come under more scrutiny and harassment.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I think a better excuse (red-herring strawman riding a stalkinghorse) is the Department of Homeland Severity.

Wisc. Stat. 19.35 Access to records; fees. (1) RIGHT TO INSPECTION
[ ... ]
(i) Except as authorized under this paragraph, no request under
pars. (a) and (b) to (f) may be refused because the person making
the request is unwilling to be identified or to state the purpose of
the request. Except as authorized under this paragraph, no request
under pars. (a) to (f) may be refused because the request is
received by mail, unless prepayment of a fee is required under sub.
(3) (f). A requester may be required to show acceptable identification
whenever the requested record is kept at a private residence
or whenever security reasons or federal law or regulations so
require.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I guess what I wa soriginally asking was..someone had made a detailed school zone map of Milwaukee , and thats the kind of thing I was asking for.

RugerMan

imported post

I was under the impression that it was made by the city to distribute to LEOs to trap/discourage OCers, not protect them.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

RugerMan wrote:
I was under the impression that it was made by the city to distribute to LEOs to trap/discourage OCers, not protect them.
interesting , If so, then they failed, I would see that map and avoid those areas completely. I know just what they want.

RugerMan

imported post

But had you never seen the map and accidentally wondered into one of these zones, you wouldn't have been guilty of knowingly being within one.

That just shows how illogical the law is to begin with.

Flyer22

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
RugerMan wrote:
interesting , If so, then they failed, I would see that map and avoid those areas completely. I know just what they want.

What if you're in a hurry one day,forget where the boundaries are, and get pulled over in the school zone for speeding? Or what if you're OCing in somebody else's car, not paying attention to the route, and he gets pulled over?

I think this is one of those situations where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
RugerMan wrote:

What if you're in a hurry one day,forget where the boundaries are, and get pulled over in the school zone for speeding? Or what if you're OCing in somebody else's car, not paying attention to the route, and he gets pulled over?

I think this is one of those situations where a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
possibly yes.

RugerMan

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
Glock34 wrote:
RugerMan wrote:

Which is why repealing both the car carry ban and school zone law is a top priority for us.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

RugerMan wrote:
Passive101 wrote:
RugerMan wrote:

agreed. But if you do find yourself in trouble for being within a 1000 feet and you end up in court over it, the prosecutor might follow a line of questioning to uncover whether you had prior knowledge of the school zone in question. And unless you would be comfortable with perjury, one would have to disclose the study of such a map if so asked.

The Milwaukee school zone map was made for the area Law enforcement to try and discourage/catch OCers in the area. There is no requirement that we know where they are. Of course, it would be prudent to know where they are in our neighborhood.

If you want a general idea of the coverage, simply Google "school" on a map of green bay.

I'm not belittling those whom want such a map, only offering a counterpoint on whether it is such a good idea.
Just because you have a map doesn't mean you have memorized it. Who could memorize the Milwaukee map?

Secondly, a prosecutor's "line of questioning?" Ever heard of the 5th Amendment?

To me, it is better to be familiar with the school zones in an area you might wish to frequently carry a gun than it is to rely on the "I was ignorant" defense in court.