• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Green Bay School Zone Map, Can someone create one ?

Elysium

imported post

Make your own map ofyour city.

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm

find schools then add the radius into the map

0.1894 miles is 1000 ft

Remember the schoolzone starts at the edge of the school property.

Anyone know if a school forest counts?I live by one. Ive heard people say that you cant hunt near it because of the 1000ft rule but that could be false info. Luckily its far enought away from where I go for walks. Used this map tool to find it out. Kindahandy.

RugerMan

imported post

yeah I was under the impression that the area must conform to the statutory definition of a school. Not, just a school owned piece of property.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Well No1, that is not what I was told by the city attorney. Our School has a wetland area that is used for educational purposes and is attached to the rest of the school property and is considered by the city as part of the school zone.

And by the way Doug, enough of the bull $hit name calling. The only one trying to play lawyer here is you and I think everyone is of the same conclusion. You can either end your rudeness or i will copy and paste your rude comments to JPierce. Enough is enough.

No one has done anything to provoke your BS.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Well No1, that is not what I was told by the city attorney. Our School has a wetland area that is used for educational purposes and is attached to the rest of the school property and is considered by the city as part of the school zone.
This is definitely the position of cities like Milwaukee. Just look at their "School Zone" map. One must be willing to face felony charges for ignoring this opinion if you were to challenge it and carry.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Elysium wrote:
Remember the schoolzone starts at the edge of the school property.

Anyone know if a school forest counts?I live by one. Ive heard people say that you cant hunt near it because of the 1000ft rule but that could be false info.
I think since the OP already acknowledges the fact that the Forest is owned by the school he has answered his own question.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

And by the way Doug, enough of the bull $hit name calling. The only one trying to play lawyer here is you and I think everyone is of the same conclusion. You can either end your rudeness or i will copy and paste your rude comments to JPierce. Enough is enough.

No one has done anything to provoke your BS.
HO Ho ho! Do you imagine that the flatfoot cop LEO 229 has not complained about me? Cry cry cry. Go whine that your feelers were hurt. Wimp. Get in line.

I'm right, not nice!

Oh, checkout Rule #7

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]7) If you state a rule of law, it is incumbant upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when avaiable,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.[/font]

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

By the way, just another thought on the sly counselor and attorney remarks. Keep these remarks in mind when you are forced to go to an attorney or counselor for defense or to obtain information and answers. Since there seems to such a great dislike of the people in the profession displayed so openly on this forum. (By certain individuals anyway)
Most of the time those very people are the ones acting as though they are a counselor or attorney or telling someone to seek advise from one.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Yeah No1 it is probably a good thing that you just stay on your little island. That way the general public doesn't have to put up with your BS.

And I think you have been proven wrong on this forum a number of times as I recall Mike has checked you a few times. Or is he wrong too?

Maybe you should change your member name to MR. Know it all. Get a life!

Maybe you should check out Rule #5

[font="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"]
5) While you may disagree strongly with another poster based upon their opinion, we will NOT tolerate any personal attacks or general bashing of groups of people based upon race, religion, sex, or choice of occupation (e.g., being a law enforcement officer).
[/font]

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
No mention of ownership counselor.

948.605 Gun−free school zones. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this
section:
[ ...]
(c) “School zone” means any of the following:
1. In or on the grounds of a school.
2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school
Enough said.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Doug Huffman wrote:
No mention of ownership counselor.

948.605 Gun−free school zones. (1) DEFINITIONS. In this
section:
[ ...]
(c) “School zone” means any of the following:
1. In or on the grounds of a school.
2. Within 1,000 feet from the grounds of a school
Enough said.
how is the elimination of the gun free school zones, being fought ?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
If the forest is owned by the school it is part of the school zone.
Unless there is an elementary, middle, junior high, senior high or "high school" located on the same grounds as the "school forest" the "forest" does absolutely does NOT have a 1000 foot school zone around it!

Ownership of a parcel of land by a school or school district does not automatically put a 1000 foot school zone around that land.

Putting a school, and ONLY putting a school, on that land does that. School-owned land that merely contains things other than schools, such as an athletic fields, recreational areas, school district offices, school kitchens, school district bus parking lots or garages only means that weapons are prohibited on the property itself. There is no 1000' zone around that type of property. A careful reading of the statute is all that is required to confirm this. Those things are called "school premises." They are not the same as "school grounds." There is a 1000' zone only around school grounds.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I have a great idea! Go walk through the school forest while open carrying and then we will all find out. Any takers? :celebrate

Because any land owned by the school that is directly attached to the school property and used to educate the children of said school ( such as nature education) would be considered part of the school zone. Unless you can find something in writing that says otherwise or can obtain permission from the school that owns that property do not open carry in the area.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
I have a great idea! Go walk through the school forest while open carrying and then we will all find out. Any takers? :celebrate

Because any land owned by the school that is directly attached to the school property and used to educate the children of said school ( such as nature education) would be considered part of the school zone. Unless you can find something in writing that says otherwise or can obtain permission from the school that owns that property do not open carry in the area.
Not such a great idea and nobody said anything about carrying a gun within a school forest, although the statute does allow for schools to permit hunting in school forests.

The question is whether a school forest has a 1000 foot "gun free school zone" around it. If the school itself sits on the same parcel of land, it's a no brainer. But what if there is no school on that land-- for example Madison's school forest which is 307 acres not even located within the City of Madison, but rather out in the "sticks" southwest of Verona?

Elysium

imported post

Well your right the only way to find out is to carry within the 1000ft radius, get caught,and let a judge decide based on the law.

There is no school on the property but there are buildings and I bet thereare desks inside. maybe some pencils and pens. And I know there is an 8 legged dear fetus in a bottle in there. :shock:I've seen it! I know they used to have a shooting range there too but that was way before Columbine and such. Have not been there since 8th grade or so.

The question was about the 1000 foot rule not about carrying inside the forest.

I was hoping I would see at least one post saying "thanks for posting that great map tool" but my school forestquestion got all the attention. that map toolwas the original intent of my post.