• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HELLOoooo..... Warrensburg and Sedalia area ?

John563

imported post

Are my sons and I the only ones that open carry in this area? We have been OCing for the last year and a half and have not seen anyone else.It sure would be nice to see others so that we know that were not "The Lone Strangers". A little support from the area would be nice.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Im always up around warrensburg, my dad lives there, I have never ran into anyone else that OCed there but I havent run into ANY OCers in my time OCing.

captainamerica

imported post

I'm from down by Clinton and went to CMSU years ago and it's rare to see anyone OC in these areas. I know of several that CCW but little to no OC unless while hunting, farming, and/or while in the sticks.

Superlite27

imported post

I have carried there before but not often. (I rarely make it up that way)

OC'ing is a lonesome endeavor. I've carried in the Bowling Green/Louisiana/Troy area for several years and have only encountered one other OC'er...ever.

This was an extreme disappointment because I happened to be concealing at the time. This removed any sense of comraderie that might have connected us, as to approach him and mention that I OC'ed as well just doesn't have the same meaning as actually seeing someone else do it.

Kinda the difference between talking the talk and walking the walk. Too bad the only time I've seen someone else walking has been when I was talking.

As I've said, I rarely (we're talking every couple of years) have a reason to go to Sedalia. I do make it to Hannibal every couple of months or so, so you might catch me there.

If there's ever a OC "get together" nearby, be sure and let me know.

Big Boy

imported post

Is it legal to OC in Warrensburg without a CCW?? :shock:

I had honestly never really thought about OC...was just waiting till I turned 23 so I could get my CCW. Man, the way society makes you believe firearms are bad is rough...even I had forgotten about OC. :?

I called the sheriffs office. They dispatched me to a warrensburg officer and he told me I could not do it without a CCW. After having read all of this stuff I asked him if he was 100% sure and he said no. So I emailed the police chief to inquire. I just hope he actually replies.

Diver_59

imported post

Most LEO's will tell you you can't OC even if it is legal.. I think most of them have a complex like it intrudes on there authority... it's best to read the state statutes and carry a copy with you so you can educate them when they don't know,that's what I do....the statutes say it is legal to OC in missouri unless there is a city ordinance against it,and/or you have a felony conviction on your record.

Superlite27

imported post

+1

I asked the Louisiana Police Chief (Before he lost his job for riding his motorcycle at 120 mph through town.......naked) if open carry was legal in Louisiana.

I was told "Well, yeah. There's nothing we can do about it. But I'd prefer you didn't."

There's "nothing they can do about it". This says it all. They think it should be illegal, but "there's nothing they can do about it". and they'd "prefer you didn't".

Some think the law is whatever their personal preference is.

(Guess I should have OC'ed NAKED. Evidently, doing things NAKED was alright with Louisiana's former chief.)

I haven't spoken with the new one, but I already know the legality of OC in Louisiana, so there's really no need.

John563

imported post

Big Boy

My son did contact the city attorney, He told my son to contact the chief of police and he did. Heres what the chief said about OCing in Warrensburg "We have no city ordinance prohibition".

Big Boy

imported post

Thank you guys for your help. I think I'll start looking around on the net this very moment for a good OC holster.

Big Boy

imported post

I have a compact Springfield XD .45. I bought it so I could use it as a CCW when the time rolled around. Going to carry that for now. I'm looking to pick up a 1911 sometime soon, and I think I'll probably try to end up trading my compact XD for a sub compact. Use it for CCW and the 1911 for open.

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LOL LEOs the worst people to ask

I have OCed ALL over Warrensburg, hell its where I grew up

as long as you dont dress like a thug you should be OK

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use a Blackhawk Serpa it works very well, but you have to practice your draw alot till you are able to pull with out pause to push the lever

Big Boy

imported post

That's actually what I was looking at ordering. It really wasn't too expensive either about $35 on lapolicegear.com

Big Boy

imported post

So the chief of police just responded in email "I can not advise you on legal issues, you should consult with an attorney."

...Does any one know where I can get a print out of municipal laws for warrensburg considering firearms? I can't find it. It's obvious it's legal, but I just want something to show in case I'm hassled.

Big Boy

imported post

Yeah that's what I'm seeing. I just found their ordinances and they don't even mention fire arms.

I'm going to start looking through Missouri's laws so that I could print out the firearms section and show that there is no mention of open carry.

I'm sure I can find it eventually, but if anyone had a link to that, that would be cool :lol:

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Nothing about OC

http://www.warrensburg-mo.com/City_...Ordinance_pages/Wburg_CityOrdinance_Ch14.html

DIVISION 2. WEAPONS OFFENSES†
Sec. 14-116. Unlawful use of weapons.
(a) A person commits the offense of unlawful use of weapons if he knowingly:
(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;
*Cross references- Alcoholic beverages generally, Ch. 3; driving while intoxicated, driving with excessive blood alcohol content, § 23-121 et seq. State law reference-Public safety offenses, RSMo Ch. 577.†State law reference-Weapons offenses, RSMo Ch. 571.
(2) Sets a spring gun;
(3) Discharges or shoots a firearm into a dwelling house, a railroad train, boat, aircraft, or motor vehicle as defined in RSMo 302.010, or any building or structure used for the assembling of people;
(4) Exhibits, in the presence of one (1) or more persons, any weapon readily capable of lethal use in an angry or threatening manner;
(5) Possess or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated;
(6) Discharges a firearm within one hundred (100) yards of any occupied school house, courthouse, or church building;
(7) Discharges or shoots a firearm at a mark, at any object, or at random, on, along or across, a public highway or discharges or shoots a firearm into any outbuilding;
(8) Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any church or place where people have assembled for worship, or into any school, or into any building owned or occupied by any agency of the federal government, state government, or political subdivision thereof;
(9) Discharges or shots a firearm at or from a motor vehicle, as defined in RSMo 302.010, discharges or shoots a firearm at any person, or at any other motor vehicle, or at any building or habitable structure, unless the person was lawfully acting in self-defense; or
(10)Carries a firearm, whether loaded or unloaded, or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use into any school, onto any school bus, or onto the premises of any function or activity sponsored or sanctioned by school officials or the district school board.