• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stopped from entering Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh (Main)

Prophet

imported post

As I was entering the library a guy in a tie and a name tag said:

"Excuse me sir, are you in law enforcement?"

I told him I wasn't and he responded that Library policy only allows LEO's onto the premises with weapons. Considering that I have come to the library often I was a bit surprised by this and asked him if this was the PUBLIC library. He told me it was but that it was private property.

I wasn't going to argue the point at that time because he was only doing as he was told and I wanted to be 100% sure that I was right before I continued moving this up the pike. I asked him for his business card and he gave me his bosses and wrote his name on back along and also gave me a copy of an "Appropriate Library Behavior" pamphlet just so I didn't think he was making it up. He was very pleasent and I don't begrudge him at all but I am curious; is Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh publically funded and as such aren't they prohibited from telling me that I cannot be in their with my sidearm?

The funny thing on the pamphlet he gave me was this:

In order to provide a safe and comfortable enviroment, the following are NOT PERMITTED in the library:

- Weapons

There were more than that but it got me thinking, if im a black belt in karate my hands are weapons, an old codger's walking stick who knows cane fu or not is a weapon, hell, a heavy enough BOOK is a weapon...I find this arbirtrary and I think its against the law in regards to pre-emption. Furthermore, how is disarming me making the enviroment any more safe...in fact it has the opposite effect.

Prophet

imported post

I concur Doug, but what about MY comfort level? The Liberal establishmentis all freedom and free speech unless its not their company line.

Anyways, I found on the board of trustees some interesting names...or rather positions:

Reverend Ricky V. Burgess (City Council Member)

John DeFazio (County Representative)

William Isler (Board of Education Representative)

Bruce Kraus (City Representative)

Barbara Logan (County Representative)

Chuck McCullough (County Representative)

Alice Mitinger (County Representative)

James Motznik[/b] (City Representative)

Tonya Payne [/b](City Representative)

Terri Wolfe (City of Pittsburgh Mayor Representative)
Now, to me this seems that if the Library has representatives for the County and City and that they are also publically funded that they should have to follow the law of 18 PA.C.S. § 6120

CowboyKen

imported post

The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh is organized as a trust and is recognized by the IRS (in Publication 78) as a public charity under 501(c)(3).

As such it is a private entity that is supported by public, government and private, funds. Under the law it is treated as private property.

Ken

Prophet

imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
The Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh is organized as a trust and is recognized by the IRS (in Publication 78) as a public charity under 501(c)(3).

As such it is a private entity that is supported by public, government and private, funds.  Under the law it is treated as private property.

Ken

Thats unfortunate.

CowboyKen

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Cowboy Ken is correct, but there is one more thing to check: the property tax listing.

I have not checked the records, but at a guess,as a public charity, they are exempt from property taxes.

Ken

KBCraig

imported post

CowboyKen wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Cowboy Ken is correct, but there is one more thing to check: the property tax listing.

I have not checked the records, but at a guess,as a public charity, they are exempt from property taxes.

Ken
Even then, the listing will show the owner of record, and that's what is in question here.

Il_Duce

Banned
imported post

I'm sitting in CLP Brookline right now and I don't think any of the librarians even noticed I'm carrying. Huzzah!