• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

North Carolina

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Since we're only a couple of miles from the border, I OC back and forth all the time...but now that the wife has a permit, I have to worry about CC :X. Does NC honor Va permits?

wylde007

imported post

It appears that they may not necessarily have a preemption clause. I was planning to OC on Ocracoke for a benefit concert/mini-festival in a few weeks and ran across this section of state code:

§ 14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.2.html

Except upon second read it appears to apply only to state or local "public" property and this event will be held on private property.

It seems that NC has a simpler code section regarding firearms that VA, but cannot immediately locate a "preemption" type section.

Also, CC permits carry.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.html
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.3.html

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
It appears that they may not necessarily have a preemption clause. I was planning to OC on Ocracoke for a benefit concert/mini-festival in a few weeks and ran across this section of state code:

§ 14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.2.html

Except upon second read it appears to apply only to state or local "public" property and this event will be held on private property.

It seems that NC has a simpler code section regarding firearms that VA, but cannot immediately locate a "preemption" type section.

Also, CC permits carry.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.html
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-269.3.html

§ 14‑269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to the following:
(1) A person exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269;
(2) The owner or lessee of the premises or business establishment;
(3) A person participating in the event, if he is carrying a gun, rifle, or pistol with the permission of the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event; and
(4) A person registered or hired as a security guard by the owner, lessee, or person or organization sponsoring the event. (1977, c. 1016, s. 1; 1981, c. 412, s. 4, c. 747, s. 66; 1993, c. 539, s. 165; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Here is the list of those exempted from G.S. 14-269 (in Sheriff blue):

(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following persons:

(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces of the United States when in discharge of their official duties as such and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms and weapons;

(2) Civil and law enforcement officers of the United States;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the State, or of any county, city, town, or company police agency charged with the execution of the laws of the State, when acting in the discharge of their official duties;

(5) Sworn law‑enforcement officers, when off‑duty, provided that an officer does not carry a concealed weapon while consuming alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance or while alcohol or an unlawful controlled substance remains in the officer's body.

I read this as those listed are exempt from requiring a permit to conceal, not that conceal permit holders are exempt from described prohibitions.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

While we have reciprocity with NC and many other states, you have to always read up on the individual states' laws as to the "where, when and how".

riverrat10k

imported post

Icetera wrote:
Just keep in mind no carry in restaurants with alcohol and NC does require notification. I just had to print up their laws for my trip to Nags Heads Head and am glad to be a Virginian, after seeing some of the differences.

Ice---how did that go? I posted on the NC forum weeks ago asking about OC experiences on the OBX and got very little response.

I know the Hatteras beaches are off limits but my understanding is Corolla, Duck, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head are Ok.

Have you been yet and how did it go?

Icetera

Richmond - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
imported post

riverrat10k wrote:
Icetera wrote:
Just keep in mind no carry in restaurants with alcohol and NC does require notification. I just had to print up their laws for my trip to Nags Heads Head and am glad to be a Virginian, after seeing some of the differences.

Ice---how did that go? I posted on the NC forum weeks ago asking about OC experiences on the OBX and got very little response.

I know the Hatteras beaches are off limits but my understanding is Corolla, Duck, Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, and Nags Head are Ok.

Have you been yet and how did it go?
I will be going within the month, so we shall see.

bohdi

imported post

I got my VA permit because my wifes brother and dad carry down there, but no where else. Go figure. Anyway I've never really carried anywhere down there as most of the places we've gone to were resturants and we were all going to be drinking anyway. Sooooo.......the only problem I had was doing 50+ going into Kitty Hawk at 2 am and getting stoppedcoming aross the bridge into Nags Head. The staties were cool and professional. It was my first stop experience while carrying. They just said slow down, we don't want to have to deal with you hitting a deer out here this late, lol.

wylde007

imported post

bohdi wrote:
The staties were cool and professional. It was my first stop experience while carrying. They just said slow down, we don't want to have to deal with you hitting a deer out here this late, lol.
My first experience with NC police was the Dare Co. sheriff on Ocracoke.

His response was similar to the one you received. "Slow down on MY island".

I had been drinking (not heavily, two or three in a couple of hours) on the beach on the north end and even had an open container in the truck... but I pawned it on my wife.

He cut me a break, but I'm not foolish or crazy enough to think that next time I'll be so lucky.

I wasn't carrying at the time, but will be next time and must notify, IIRC, in NC. Matter of fact, I'll be down there this weekend for a mini-festival. I may not carry on my person since I'll be doing a lot of rigging and also performing. I haven't made up my mind yet.

bohdi

imported post

Stopped at a gas station on the way out of NC yesterday. An older gentleman asked me on the way back to my vehicle if I was law enforcement and I replied no. He asked me if I would really use "that thing" if I had to, I replied if I had to. He said why do you carry it then? I told him primarily because I can't on the police to be around when bad things happen and secondarily because I like to help remind people they still have rights in this country and it's okay to excercise them. He smiled at me and said Thanks for carrying cousin, waved his hand and walked off.

I spent most of the time in the ocean and resturants so I only really carried during the drive to and from the rental place.